Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Almost the end of the year....

Almost the end of the year....

It's almost the end of the year. Time to look back and reflect.

What was your biggest accomplishment regarding organizing?
    Failure?

For me: Just getting started was a big boost for me. It made me realize just how far I had let things go. I want to continue the forward march this next year

Biggest failure: besides not getting it all done, still not learning to put the fabric away as I look, review, decide, and move on. It sits there until I can't stand it anymore instead of putting it away right away.

Anyone else?
    Chris

I don't know that I have any accomplishment regarding organizing. That is an on-going project for me. I have managed to complete 12 quilts in the last year. They are all going as Christmas presents. It's time to start a new batch! In the last year I have also completed a lot of UFO's and kits that were stacked on top of storage units. The fabric drawers don't have any more room in them but things are stacked so high. That is a big plus. This time of year I start looking at projects for the next year. My big thing before the New Year will be to clean up my sewing room, put away all the fabric pulled for various reasons and get ready to start stitching again.

Well, I have realized the importance of two philosophies or rules to live by. One is the old how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. The other is that the sewing space must just be that. It can't get cluttered up with other stuff. I will focus on both of these 'rules' as I go forward into the New Year. Now, just to put that into practice!

Biggest failures indicate greatest effort.

I, too, have a highly developed "take the fabric out" gene, but the "put the fabric back" gene is completely missing in me. I've learned to live with it.

Not getting it all done means you set goals for yourself, and you set them high. Imagine how little you would have accomplished with no goals?

In other words, your year has been successful.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

DH and I installed a television in my sewing room - I think I will spend even more time there now that I can listen to my favorite programs. So that is a success.

I have come the realization that I must keep things put in their place as my sewing space is small and really there is little room for clutter to happen without being in the way of work space. Also a success.

My biggest failure is not going right to the quilting stage as soon as I finish a top... so there are several waiting their turn at the sitdown.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Everything in my sewing area has been gone through, sorted, keep, throw, and donate. My UFO's have been sorted the same way. Everything now has a home. Throw has been hauled to dump. Donated has been dropped off. Got my travel machine and sewing supplies into one rolling case. While cleaning and sorting I found enough duplicates of tools to outfit 2 sewing areas so I put one set into my travel case Rippers, snips, clips, needles, pins, cleaning supplies, rotary cutter, with extra blades, scissors, marking pens, chalk you name it, if it sits by my machine at home a duplicate is in my travel case. Now when I get ready for class I just add projects, rulers, templates bobbins, and thread. When I get home just clean out case, repack and I am ready to go again. So easy and less stressful gathering everything together to go. Only to have to pull something out of case to use the day before you go, and forget to put it back in. I have finished several UFO's this year. Still have 4 finished tops to get on the L.A. I don't think I will be getting them done by the first of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny9 View Post
    Everything in my sewing area has been gone through, sorted, keep, throw, and donate. My UFO's have been sorted the same way. Everything now has a home. Throw has been hauled to dump. Donated has been dropped off. Got my travel machine and sewing supplies into one rolling case. While cleaning and sorting I found enough duplicates of tools to outfit 2 sewing areas so I put one set into my travel case Rippers, snips, clips, needles, pins, cleaning supplies, rotary cutter, with extra blades, scissors, marking pens, chalk you name it, if it sits by my machine at home a duplicate is in my travel case. Now when I get ready for class I just add projects, rulers, templates bobbins, and thread. When I get home just clean out case, repack and I am ready to go again. So easy and less stressful gathering everything together to go. Only to have to pull something out of case to use the day before you go, and forget to put it back in. I have finished several UFO's this year. Still have 4 finished tops to get on the L.A. I don't think I will be getting them done by the first of the year.
    This is my biggest goal for next year. I've starting sorting and purging but am not done and assembling a travel/class set is a fantastic idea.

My biggest organizing success is going through all of my fabric and assembling two large shopping bags full to donate to a local group that makes quilts for cancer patients. I hope to volunteer with this group and help sew starting next month.

My biggest failure is not keeping up with logging new fabric purchases in my stash app. It's so handy when assembling fabric for new projects or to keep me from buying duplicates but I have a huge bin of purchases waiting for me to enter them. The app is way out of date and entering the fabric has become a pain in the neck so I'm hoping to find something new to use.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Major move into my extra apartment...thus making it the quilting space. Long arm installed, fabric in tubs on 3 sets of shelves, not sorted, but in there none the less.

One UFO located, one missing still. That's my New Years Resolution....finish something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrylymax View Post
    This is my biggest goal for next year. I've starting sorting and purging but am not done and assembling a travel/class set is a fantastic idea.

My biggest failure is not keeping up with logging new fabric purchases in my stash app. It's so handy when assembling fabric for new projects or to keep me from buying duplicates but I have a huge bin of purchases waiting for me to enter them. The app is way out of date and entering the fabric has become a pain in the neck so I'm hoping to find something new to use.
    Same here, but I just purchased a new app for my iPad that makes it simple to add pics and info about your stash and preview them in different blocks and quilts. It is called Quiltography and was only $14.99.
    My achievements this year was to precut 8 kits to sew this winter and start on cleaning out the mother- in - law apt. attached to house to make it into a sewing studio. My biggest failure this year was buying 4 more kits...
    Last edited by lovelyl; 12-20-2016 at 04:33 AM.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    Same here, but I just purchased a new app for my iPad that makes it simple to add pics and info about your stash and preview them in different blocks and quilts. It is called Quiltography and was only $14.99.
    My achievements this year was to precut 8 kits to sew this winter and start on cleaning out the mother- in - law apt. attached to house to make it into a sewing studio. My biggest failure this year was buying 4 more kits...
    WHAT????? Never heard of this! Have to look it up and see what it's all about. Those of you that have it, have you found you are a slave to keeping up with it?

I guess my biggest accomplishment would be using up fabric. I made 8 scrappy quilts and have given them to nieces and nephews and donated some fabric to an organization that makes dresses for little girls in Africa. Donated "odd" fabric to Goodwill. Has my stash gone down, yes I think so but will continue to work on it.

We moved and I was able to find things I forgot I even had. I put the UFOs on one shelf and then the new jelly rows and fabric on another that I'm just dying to use. Rule is to finish one UFO before starting anything new. Thought I had it all figured out and went looking for a scarf and found a few more UFOs. I'm continually finding things to get rid of and in the spring, I will do much more.

My goal for this year had been to finally do some quilting for us & I accomplished it. I've had such fun making things for display, useful items & I've finished all of them except the quilting on my "summer quilt". I needed one without batting for nights too warm for cold weather quilts. :-) I've worked extra hard on getting my FMQ up to where I feel it should be also & although that will be an ongoing goal, I think I've come a long way this year. :-) Haven't really had any failures. I live in a camper so space is premium & I have to put stuff away as soon as I'm done or we can't eat! I have put my Christmas fabrics out in my quilting shed, so perhaps that would be to do with organizing. Just trying to make more room for more fabric purchases to come. Trying to use what I have, but I have been blessed by many & it seems to grow more than recede. ;-)

I don't have a dedicated sewing room. But my fabric is stored in a Billy bookcase in the guest bedroom. And I've gradually added more and more sewing items, including quilt tops yet to be quilted, my ironing board, scrap fabric to be organized, etc. Yesterday I tidied it all up....as much as I could, in preparation for Christmas.

How I'd love to have a room that I could just use for sewing and close the door on, but I am unwilling to give up that room, which my grandsons really consider "their" room, anyway.

I recently bought a huge rolling shelving unit at Bimart. It was regularly quite expensive, but I only paid $129. I got rid of two folding banquet style tables and reorganized my projects which had been piled on those tables. All those planned projects are now in either clear shoebox style totes or in piles with a selvage tie around them. I even put them in order of how I want to attack them. That change let me move my computer style C shape sewing machine table out into the room. I put my big board ironing station which is screwed onto an old ironing board off to the side, so my office chair just rolls on over for a quick press. I have one banquet style folding table behind me with a cutting station. I still have a large cutting station in the middle of my room, but don't have to travel so far to square bigger pieces and so on. The best part of this change is that I have open counter space and don't have to rummage through a pile to find my sewing supplies. I absolutely love the change. Sorry I can't post a photo. I don't know how!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    WHAT????? Never heard of this! Have to look it up and see what it's all about. Those of you that have it, have you found you are a slave to keeping up with it?
    I have only had the app for a few days and I am only recording purchases from this point on. It would take far too long to take pics of all my stash, but it doesn't seem like it will be too much trouble to enter future fabrics right after I purchase them.
    What I like is I can put in the description box the name of the pattern I purchased the fabric for. Later, I can search by that pattern name and pics of the fabric I purchased show up as a group on the screen!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I followed Alex Anderson's monthly organizing tips. I "worked" on so many areas--magazines, books, scraps to various square and strips sizes, buttons, ribbons, batting (which had to be the worse mess I had), rulers, templates, fabrics. I purged and gave away so much. It felt fantastic to work each month on a different area. I didn't get completely organized but I certainly have a New Year goal to start on several "additional organizational projects."
    Carol

Biggest success? Being prepared with everything I needed for the birthday "candies" (2.5 inch squares) swap on this board. Everything cut for 30 people, cards ordered, stamps bought, stored together in a dresser drawer. I never missed a birthday nor was late. Now if I could only say the same for my own family members. Ahem!

Biggest organizational failure? Not putting things away as soon as I'm done with them. I need to print a motto and put it above my cutting table: PUT IT AWAY, NOT ASIDE!

Sweeping change has been my greatest triumph this year. I decided to completely redecorate and would later discover that nothing was sacred. My wardrobe was next and the difference is a blessing. Now that the purge has begun the air feels lighter and I'm able to relinquish quite a lot. Tidying is a joy because the alterations improve my environment and make room for the new.

Blog Entries
    I like SarahBethie's take on words...I have been doing a lot of (necessary) purging as well, not only my wardrobe closet but also the attic above our 2 car garage. It is being converted to a sewing room where I will eventually have room for a longarm.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

While I have done a lot of organizing and donating this year - I could have done better that's for sure. I will continue to purge as others have said - not only in the area of quilting but in general.
    Erin

>>I like SarahBethie's take on words...I have been doing a lot of (necessary) purging as well,<<

This is my goal after Christmas. I am a "paper hoarder" and have two file cabinets filled. It simply has to stop, and I have to purge. What I'd like is a scanner that turns all that paper into digital files, with necessary information, but will I go that far? Probably not (organizing scanners are expensive). Still, I hope to make a dent!

Successes for this year- I reorganized my tiny sewing area so now it functions efficiently, both for storage and working on quilts. I also purged a lot of excess stuff (both art and crafts related and also general household stuff).

not so successful-- finding a way to store completed quilts. Still looking for solutions.

goals for the coming year-- continue the purge
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

It has been so inspiring to read all of your reflections.
    I followed a friend's lead and cleared out a desk that was in our bedroom and not being used. Drove it to a thrift store with its matching chair on Sunday. Yes, the air felt lighter inside the room with it gone. That inspired DH to suggest moving some furniture around in there and now it feels so much bigger, again, as if there is more air to breathe in there. I am going to get a pair of new sheers to hang soon at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are perfect with little shells, sea horses and such in a crisp white.
    Now that the bedroom is coming along, I am feeling more brave about re-tackling the sewing room. It sounds silly to say, since we are retired now, but over Christmas vacation, I plan on sorting things out and making enough headway to get back in there and sew! (Since my sewing/knitting groups are on hold over the holidays, it does feel like a true vacation...).
    Thanks everybody.

My only "organization" has been to move into a house with tiny bedrooms, the smallest of which is the storage room. All of my sewing room furniture is shoved and piled in there. So mine is a failure so far. However, I've finally got the money together to have a walk-in door and 3 windows put into the one-car garage that I'm going to turn into my sewing studio! That will begin hopefully after the holidays. Then I'll have electricity run to it before I start putting in the insulation and drywall. It'll probably take me at least a year to get it all done (as I can afford it), but I can't wait to get started on it!

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast