Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Almost Wasted Money

Almost Wasted Money

I have been wanting something to keep the sewing spool and its bobbin when I take them off to do machine applique. Today in the store I almost bought something and changed my mind.

When we got home, I found in the kitchen cabinet, at least five of those neat little glasses you get when the apricot jam is used up. Yeah! Instant spool holder. I took one for pens as well. (more money to spend on fabric)
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I make my own apricot jam so I'm not familiar with those glasses. How about a picture?

I use the larger diameter plastic straws, like you get at McDonald's. I cut them into shorter lengths and stick it into the thread spool and seat the bobbin on top of the part that sticks out. Because they are a bigger diameter you have to pinch them a little to fit them in, but that is what makes them hold the thread and bobbin together.

I've used a pint canning jar for several years.

Each brand of apricot jam comes in a different container. I buy cherry preserves and the jar is fluted but not tall enough for a spool of thread.
    I love my life!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I make my own apricot jam so I'm not familiar with those glasses. How about a picture?
    Here you go. They are about 5 inches tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I love jelly/jam jars w/handles. But sadly the place I use to buy the jelly/jam closed several years ago.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    Good idea. Tons of unused Mason jars here. I also like Just Retirea's idea of the straws...have to check that out. I use the plastic thingies that look sort of like a hair clip and like those, but it does get spendy.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I use almost all cone thread, mostly the bigger ones. I use a bag that zips in a sandwich or quart size, whichever fits the thread. When I am quilting, I use the long arm bobbins, which don't fit my sewing machine to sew the binding on. This frees up the bobbin for future use. I know, I should just break down and buy some more bobbins, but why, when this system has been working for me?
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Quote Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
    I love jelly/jam jars w/handles. But sadly the place I use to buy the jelly/jam closed several years ago.
    If you have a Merita or Flowers bread store near you they carry jams and jellies in jars w/handles.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

If you have a local Dollar Tree store, check there. I bought a whole bunch of those little jars with the handles that have screw-on lids. They were selling them as salt & pepper shakers, even though the tops don't have any holes, and there are no inserts inside with the holes (like you find in spice jars). Of course, the display comes from China also, so that might explain it LOL.

Blog Entries
    I like the maria's salad dressing pint jars for several things----spools, bobbins to match, and even make homemade salad dressing (Pioneer Woman cooking show) and put on the lid and ready to go!

Blog Entries
    I store my bobbins in pill bottles by color with label of color on top and they are stored in my sewing machine drawer. My spool of threads I store in zip lock bags by colors in drawers. My drawer cabinet is a old night stand that has three drawers in it that sits buy my sewing machine.

I have a lot of the jelly handle jars for ice drinks and hot drinks too. Honestly I bought them filled with jelly and washed out the jelly. When I was a kid we had snuff glasses to drink out of. Every old woman dipped snuff! My grandmother didn't but had many save her the jars. She would go gather them and we kids had to wash them in a big wash tub outside.
    I love my life!

yel
    Blog Entries
    those little toe seperator things that you use when you paint your toes [at the family dollar store] you can get single ones they work great to hold the thread on the bobbin so it doesn't unravel and then i put a golf tee in the spool and bobbin to keep them together