Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
In anticipation of my sewing room... >

In anticipation of my sewing room...

In anticipation of my sewing room...

Old 12-13-2020, 01:20 PM

Default In anticipation of my sewing room...

Hopefully in the spring we will get the floor done on my sewing room and it can become operational. That will be after the shed is built and all the tools and garden stuff, etc. Is moved out. So I have actually started to plan things. The room is 8’ wide and the end 3’ - 4’ is built into a closet and I want to use that to hold my fabric. The shelves are 24” deep on both sides. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can use the space well with it being so deep. I sort by colour mostly with things like Christmas separated. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:29 PM

Storing by color is a good idea, I separate out batiks too along with Holiday fabrics. Because of the amount of fabric in my stash I also flat fold everything I also reinforce my shelves. If at all possible place your sewing machine in front of a window for the best possible lighting. It sounds like you will have a lot of fun with your new space.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 AM

Happy for you to be getting your new sewing room. How exciting.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:59 AM

Not sure if you have to use the shelves, but if not, another option might be to use filing cabinets. A standard vertical cabinet is about 25 inches deep and a lateral cabinet is about 19 inches deep. Here’s a blogger on how she “files” her fabric: https://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/201...ur-fabric.html
Old 12-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

A new sewing room is exciting. One you get everything situated then you will start to reorganize for function once you figure out what that will be for you. Mine changes at least once a year.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:47 PM

24 inches is rather deep for a shelf - I would use bins much like the ones for files or banker box size and put the fabric on comic book boards. That is what I did. They are see through but for a while I put an 5x6 card inside that said what was in it. I could read the card through the plastic. My fabric is separated by solids, children, holidays, extra large pieces are kept together. I tried just putting them in the large deeper bins in layers, but I couldn't tell what was in there. A friend of mine used the bins that were 8 inches deep, and I think 15 x 24, she folded her fabric so it fit in sideways, like fat quarters. I pull a bin out at a time instead of a piece of fabric at a time. I also like to use project boxes that I got at Costco for about $15.00 for 5. They are 15 x 15. and hold blocks nicely and all different colors but are easy to see through and easily labeled if you want to do that.

Hope you enjoy putting it all together. If you are like me, you will re-do it from time to time as you find what works for you and what does not.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Not sure if you have to use the shelves, but if not, another option might be to use filing cabinets. A standard vertical cabinet is about 25 inches deep and a lateral cabinet is about 19 inches deep. Here’s a blogger on how she “files” her fabric: https://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/201...ur-fabric.html
What a great idea! And file cabinets are cheap on places like Craig's list and at used office furniture stores. So many offices are storing things on the cloud and get rid of their excess file cabinets so they are easy to find. Thanks for sharing Suz.