Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone have their sewing table in the middle

Mine is in the middle facing a window and a TV. It's at right angles with the cutting table. I love this board for all the great ideas I get here. Bet my husband doesn't like it much for the same reason.

I use my dining room table.

Blog Entries
    Well I have 6 machines lined up along the long wall with large window, I have 3 machines on antique typewriter desk and backed with table, in the center of the room, my mid arm on grace frame has one end against the wall that has the french doors, cutting table is on far wall from mid arm, fireplace with area rug in front of it has love seat sofa and coffee table. it is right next to table and desk in center of the room. From the center I can look out the window, french doors or at TV, works for me.
    I used to have every thing so I could just sit and reach every thing, so change that, I NEED to move around more so have thing as far apart as I can have them, have lost 54 pounds sense I've gotten off my fanny more, LOL
    dare to dream

Mine is in the middle of the room, with tables surrounding it for when I am FMQing. I can't face a wall when I'm working, it gives me claustrophobia.

Glad I saw this thread. Right now my sewing tables butts up to the wall and the windows are to the right of me. I think it would be better to move my table in front of the windows for the light and view. I don't have enough room to put the table in the middle of the room, but I wish I did.

Mine too is in the middle of the room due to limited wall space which is needed for storage. My room is small so I have to make the most of every inch.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

My sewing room used to be a dining room. My husband followed orders, the table is in the middle. This allowed him to fill all the walls with cupboards. He ran electric from the basement and drilled a hole in the floor right in the middle too.

That set up was the only way I could fit everything I wanted to, into the room.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

I just moved mine back against the wall due to space constraints. However, because my back was to the door and that's BAD Feng Shui, I placed a large mirror I hadn't known what to do with inside the window frame...it actually looks good and I can see completely behind me. Makes all the difference in the world!

My sewing room was once two small bedrooms and now the middle wall has been removed.The end of my table is against a wall under a window, there's an end table with an ironing pad to my right and a large closet (door removed) behind me that has shelves for fabric. I put a movable table with a revolving cutting mat on it just in front of that so I can turn to my side to iron and just continue the turn if I want to cut something. The main cutting table is in the middle of the room where I can walk completely around it. the other end of the room has supplies for other crafts. I use daylight bulbs throughout the house and there's a 4 ft one over my sewing chair so it lights what I'm sewing, ironing or cutting.
    Last edited by jeaninmaine; 06-19-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Yep, mine is right in the middle of the room directly under the light. I have a window to my back for more light and I face the door so no one can sneak up on me. Wouldn't want to be startled and sew a finger.
    GeeGee

Why are there no pictures of your rooms? It is somewhat difficult to imagine your spaces. We always see our own...please next time can you add a picture?

My sewing machine table is at a right angle to the picture window wall, facing my design wall. Cutting table is three steps to the left, ironing table (big ironing padded board on top on a chest of drawers) a few steps to the right. Also have a wooden TV tray covered with batting and home dec. fabric that I can move around when I need it. If you don't have one of these I highly recommend them! I found four TV trays at a yard sale for $7 total and made some for my friends too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniebeanie View Post
    Why are there no pictures of your rooms? It is somewhat difficult to imagine your spaces. We always see our own...please next time can you add a picture?
    Here is a picture showing my setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine is sort of in the middle. I share the upstairs room with our stored stuff since we have no basement. The walls slant due to the house design (barn shaped) If I had my machine table flush with the wall, my head would likely hit the wall. My sewing space is U shaped - sewing machine table, work table, pressing center. Oh, and my tv. LOL
    Carol in Michigan

For years mine was against the wall. It drove me crazy that my quilts were getting scrunched up against the wall when I was sewing them together. When I planned my new room I made sure it the sewing table was in the middle of the room. LOVE it. This is an old pic from 2008 when it was first finished - the room is filled up with quilt stuff now, and is a rip-roarin' mess! There are two places to sit, one for the machine and one for the serger (which rarely gets used), with drawers in-between.

Name:  Sewing-room-5.gif
Views: 172
Size:  214.6 KB

If I ever get around to cleaning up the room, someday maybe I'll be brave and post some pictures of it!

Mine is on an L-shape table that makes sort of a peninsula into nearly the middle of the room. My cutting table had to go into the middle. It is an island that I can access from all four sides. Didn't really need my SM to be accessible from all sides, but I hate facing the wall as I work, and I hate having my back to the door even more!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

My sewing table in off to the side but I can walk around it. Great for cleaning the floor and finding all the pins. It also gives me room to work with a larger quilt.

Blog Entries
    Mine is in the middle, facing my design wall. I get lighting from the fan and light above my head and also from the window to the left. I have tried it in several places in the room over the years, but this seems to be the best fit for the space I have.

Quote Originally Posted by rilene View Post
    Mine is in the middle. I can't stand having a wall in front of my face!
    amen, sister!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I have 2 sewing tables. One faces a wall and one faces into the bedroom. I work at the one facing into the bedroom 90% of the time. I find facing the wall sad.

Name:  P1000110.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  91.9 KB

I have a small room with a u-shaped table. I used to face the window, but now, face the doorway toward the hall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2