Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Basement Sewing Rooms >

Basement Sewing Rooms

Basement Sewing Rooms

Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 PM

My sewing room is half the basement. I love it. It's quiet, no body bothers me.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 AM

I am very slowly setting up my basement sewing room. I do have overhead lights as well as an Ott floor lamp and several clip on lights. The basement has been waterproofed and has waterproof finishing walls.
I have purchased cabinets w/ doors for fabric storage and used existing metal shelves we had with clear plastic totes for misc scraps (color co-ordinated) laces trims ect.
We still need to do larger 18" carpet squares that are for commercial use. As far as uneven floors there is a liquid you can pour on cement floors that will run into pools to fill unevenness.
DH made me a revolving pegboard for an additional 8 ft of notion wall space. He used 4x8 sheet pegboard made frame for it 2ft wide x4 sides and 8' high with revolving base. It tucks into a corner just make sure you leave enough turning room.
I have 4 sewing areas and kept my old dining room table for cutting. That is 40" w and opens to 8 ft. I love the large work surfaces.
My bonus is my little house (all 1000 sq ft) is pretty tidy now and we can actually eat in dining room.
dawn227

Last edited by Dawn227; 08-26-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 AM

I have my sewing space in the unfinished basement of our house. I keep a dehumidifier on all year round. I keep my fabric in storage bins and lately canvas shelve boxes. i do need to use a space heater during the winter at times or if it gets too cold I can't sew down there. I always have a hand project for sitting up with the family but my downstairs space is my mental health away from watching too many reality shows like Storage wars andthe like. Good luck in your move It is beautiful country out there. From Pittsburgh PA
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM

Hummmm I am in the basement and love it... it's just my husband and me and he's doing something else... . but I have a walk out basement. and steps on the outside leading to my quilt room... i can see outside and have a great view.. everything is downstairs and no quilting upstairs i like that. All my friends know I'm probably downstairs and I have a TV and my cell phone... I love it!!! Besides makes me move around more and come upstairs for lunch , dinner etc....
judy
Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 AM

My studio is in our basement, but our basement is only 3 feet in the ground resulting in full sized windows all around!! It is not damp nor musky, but bright and sunny! With a new cream colored porcelain tile floor covering the entire space, 15 yards of Ikea fabric complete the projects including window shades, slipcovered chairs and ottoman. My sectional sofa is light cream. It's come together so beautifully. Only thing is I must keep my studio neat as it is open to the rest of the area. I've made it a huge family room, game table area and full quilting studio. Life is good when you have a basement!!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 AM

Just a note: WE LOVE Storage Wars too!! On a recent day in NYC to see Ground Zero, my husband and I ran into Dave Hester ("Yuuupppp!!!!") He was strolling through Little Italy when we spotted him. We stopped to chat and take photos - he was very friendly.
Originally Posted by alfosa421 View Post
I have my sewing space in the unfinished basement of our house. I keep a dehumidifier on all year round. I keep my fabric in storage bins and lately canvas shelve boxes. i do need to use a space heater during the winter at times or if it gets too cold I can't sew down there. I always have a hand project for sitting up with the family but my downstairs space is my mental health away from watching too many reality shows like Storage wars andthe like. Good luck in your move It is beautiful country out there. From Pittsburgh PA
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Not to be negative but I find basements to be dark, damp and they can have a musty odor.So like some one mentioned besure to check that the home you're buying has a dry basement room. It would not be good for you to spend hours in a musty room and your fabrics might get ruined too. That said I think it would be awesome to have your own studio. I have had one for the last three years above the garage and I really enjoy it. for me it is like having my own quilt retreat area in my own home. My kids and hubby like visiitng me in the studio too so I am not alone.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM

I have a walkout basement, lucky to have double doors and two large windows. I love having my own little get away in our home!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:15 PM

When we first bought our house, our basement was unfinished. My DS, his friend and my DH set about framing it, insulating and sheetrocking it. I primed and painted everything and it was to be the "man cave". It is a huge basement, with a big storage area to boot. I requested an area for my table and machine. It's a nice size area and I've purchased some antique armours and had my father refinish them and fit them with shelves. I have a dehumidifier in the summer (which helps keep the basement cool) and we installed a pellet stove which I fire up in the winter when I'm downstairs.

The club room portion has a bar, pool table (when covered I put my huge cutting mat on it and use it for a cutting table). There are a couple couches, and I have 3 small tables with chairs. Every other Wednesday night I have anywhere from 4 to 11 women in my basement quilting. It's a great space, with lots of uses, but mostly it's my quilting hide-away.

I enjoy being in the basement quilting. If I'm upstairs where DH or DD can see me they are always wanting me to do things for them. When I go down the stairs, they leave me alone. There is an unwritten rule about that...LOL. Oh, and DH gets his "man cave" back when we do football stuff or have parties. So it's a double duty area.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:36 PM

My studio is a converted (empty nest) bedroom and I love it. Unlike many here I like closing the door and putting on my music and NOT being with everyone. I like to be alone and do my own thing without interruptions when I am working on my quilts.