Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bed risers

I teach a sewing class ay my house every Sat am. I use bed risers under a folding table to raise it for cutting and it works wonderfully. We do the same thing at retreats. The weight of the table keeps them in place, if concerned you could glue rubber matting to the bottom of the risers, but I have not done this and mine sit on ceramic tile with no problems at all. Go for it! Your back will thank you!
    Michelle
    Michelle Guadarrama

Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    Hi, all!

We're in the process of finishing our basement and I'm moving my quilting stuff down there (yay, me!). I have a kitchen table donated to me from my SIL that will be my cutting/pressing table, but it's about five inches too low. I've seen here that people use bed risers to raise their cutting tables. If you use them, do you like them? My biggest question is are they sturdy enough?

Thanks for for any info!
    I have been using bed risers on my cutting table for a long time. They are very stable and brought my standard dining table to perfect cutting height! I was lucky enough to find a box of them on clearance at Kohl's for $4.00!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
    Sewnoma: I found my bed risers at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are 4-3/8" square and are approximately 3-1/2" tall.
    A 4x4 post could work, drill a hole in the table leg and the center of post then glue a dowel to hold them together.
    If using the PVC pipe-put a piece of wood inside the pipe to stop the leg from going too deep.

I also use them, I have a stool I keep close by and works out perfect

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    A 4x4 post could work, drill a hole in the table leg and the center of post then glue a dowel to hold them together.
    If using the PVC pipe-put a piece of wood inside the pipe to stop the leg from going too deep.
    4x4 is still bigger than I'd like. Every inch is precious!

I am thinking the PVC will work great - I'm thinking I can drill through the pipe and put a bolt through it for the leg to sit on. If I size things properly the nut won't stick out too far and I can put it facing inwards so it won't scrape me. If I get really creative I could drill holes at regular intervals and make the pipes adjustable height but I don't think I need to go that far. Put a cap on the bottom with some felt to protect my faux wood floors and I THINK I'll be all set!

I think that's going to be a project for me to work on this weekend.

I have used these bed risers for several years now and when we go to quilting bees, we have used them too. I have had absolutely not problem with them. Love them.

My sister who is only 5'0 uses the risers on her table and find that they work great, she does have a heavy wood table not sure if that will make a difference. We also use them on the beds to have storage areas under the beds and work very well.
    Grandmother of 5 and great grandmother of 1,

I think they would work fine.
    Country 1

I have seen people also use cans of food and then they can get the exact height that they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    Yup, I use them too! Under my cutting table and now under my new-soon-to-be ironing table. Very solid, very stable.

My only gripe is that I get the plastic kind and they slope outward a LOT, so instead of a 1-1/2 inch round foot now I have this honkin' 5 inch round foot at the end of each table leg. Gets in the way of cramming more storage under there, and keeps my cutting table from butting against the wall which is annoying. I need to find a better type and not these cheap plastic ones but I don't know where to find such a thing!

Terri - it sounds like you may have what I want! Can you tell me where you got yours, and how big the "footprint" of the ones you have are?

I saw on a blog somewhere that some people screw wooden finials onto their table legs as risers. I like this idea but couldn't find anything that would work at the local home supply store.
    Try a little smaller box on the bottom then you can put regular size on top. Could be wood box with glides on bottom, add a pull handle.

I use an old Formica kitchen table with the table leaf inserted. It’s heavy so no wobble on the plastic bed risers. It takes up a good part of my sewing room but I compensate the other things & get along fine.

Once I set a plastic table up on cans from my pantry to use as a cutting table. I eventually managed to push the table off the cans which startled me and seems like a good way to get hurt with a rotary cutter! For the sake of safety, whatever you use needs to have a raised edge so the table can’t just slide off the top.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2