Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blah!!! lol!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Blah!!! lol!

So I have been looking thru this forum for days, wistfully looking at everyone`s sewing rooms. I am losing my sewing room. It is time for my grandson to have his own room. Right now he sleeps in the dining room at night, as he keeps waking my daughter or she keeps waking him up ,and then I am up!
    I am claiming a portion of a wall in my rec room slash husband`s art studio. I am trying to clear out some stuff but it`s hard. I am not complaining, just a bit sad.... but that`s okay, I can still quilt and that`s the most important thing!

Power Poster
    ​Any little spot you can sew is good. I have a sewing nook rather than a sewing room myself.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I agree !!

You are correct in your thought process. Where ever you can sew/quilt is GREAT. Family is important, and that comes first, then the rest of everything. I'm sure the 2 of you can share space.!!!!!!
    If life gives you lemons, make Lemon Juice!! Make the most of everything.

It won't be forever will it? Maybe one of these days your daughter and grandson will move into their own home and the room will be yours again. It will be difficult to consolidate but maybe you can claim some storage rights someplace. Hope things look better tomorrow.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

I have found that when I have to move (or rearrange) my room I find things I forgot I had. It will be nice for him to have his own room - all of you will rest better. Your new sewing area will work fine. Te move may even inspire you do work on new projects or finish old ones.

Similiar situation in my house. Gained and lost sewing room several times. All my fab is in stackable totes. I had them stacked against a wall in our bedroom. DH understood why I had to do this. Sewing machine in a corner of the dining room. I wouild cheerfully say I don't have a sewing room...more like a sewing HOUSE! I sewed like this for over 10 years. It was frustrating at first digging for fab but eventualy I got everything organized. The important thing is to be able to sew when you want to...right?
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Power Poster
    I think many of us had hopes for our children to be independent - and to be able to provide fpr their own needs for themselves and the children they brought into this world.

Some of us looked forward to having empty nests! and were less than thrilled to have them filled again.

Sounds like you are 'making do' as well as you can.

I salute all those grandparents that have had to contribute to or take over the raising of their grandchildren.

My first sewing room was a coat closet under the stairs! I still made clothes, decorations, and gifts. It isn't the size of the room that counts. It is the size of the of the need to create!

Blog Entries
    I am also losing my sewing room. We just need to remember a separate room is not a necessity. But it sure was a luxury while it lasted... Keep your chin up !
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I agree as long as I can still quilt I am ok!!!

For many years, Paula Nadelstern made her beautiful kaleidoscope quilts on a Featherweight on her kitchen table. If you aren't familiar with her quilts google her name. It's not the size of your sewing room, it's the desire in your heart.

I think most of us have smaller spots that we sew, and we still manage to create lovely things. A small spot is better than no spot at all. : )
    Amythyst

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Life always throws challenges to see how we handle them. Depending on you GS age sometimes they just really need their space to call their own. They just need to be taught to respect the space they've been given.

If your grandson was using the dining room or part of it, can't you now use that space for at least some of your sewing stuff? If you use the room for dining you could arrange to cover the sewing things with some pretty cover(s) when you wanted.
    Sally

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by selm View Post
    If your grandson was using the dining room or part of it, can't you now use that space for at least some of your sewing stuff? If you use the room for dining you could arrange to cover the sewing things with some pretty cover(s) when you wanted.

selm - he is just in a playpen in the middle of the room, and I finally got that room cleaned out and arranged into an actually dining room, so I won't be moving my sewing stuff in there. I waited too long to have it haha!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    It won't be forever will it? Maybe one of these days your daughter and grandson will move into their own home and the room will be yours again. It will be difficult to consolidate but maybe you can claim some storage rights someplace. Hope things look better tomorrow.

MaryMo, my daughter is only 17 and still in school and then starting culinary school so she will be with us for a while. Probably 2-3 years at least and this is okay. I love having them here, we get along great (most of the time!) and my GS is just a charming little fellow and we love seeing him every day

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you all , any space is better than no space...but now I have to pack and rearrange and everything all over again.....aaaaggghhhhh!! lol

Sad that you lose your own room, I know it is nice to have a space that is "just for your quilting" (in my case where I can just close the door and leave a mess). What a joy, though, to have your little man with you!, seems like when the grandchildren come, life goes by even faster than usual! We have a grandaughter that used to pretty much live here as a babe and now all of a sudden we are making appointments for sleepovers and she was over yesterday cleaning cupboards and blinds, etc, to make money to go on a shopping spree with her friends! Enjoy your boy, that is a wonderful replacement and its not forever!
    Susy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Susy View Post
    Sad that you lose your own room, I know it is nice to have a space that is "just for your quilting" (in my case where I can just close the door and leave a mess). What a joy, though, to have your little man with you!, seems like when the grandchildren come, life goes by even faster than usual! We have a grandaughter that used to pretty much live here as a babe and now all of a sudden we are making appointments for sleepovers and she was over yesterday cleaning cupboards and blinds, etc, to make money to go on a shopping spree with her friends! Enjoy your boy, that is a wonderful replacement and its not forever!

I know Susy. There is nothing better than when he looks up at you and just smiles like you are the best thing ever!

Quote Originally Posted by stablemom View Post
    I know Susy. There is nothing better than when he looks up at you and just smiles like you are the best thing ever!
    Oh YES!, guess that's why grandbabies are the biggest joy, you will "always" get that smile and know you are the best thing ever, even when they are teens! Lucky us!
    Susy

I'm really sorry...but the way time flies....and how quickly some things change you may get a sewing space before too long....and since you're being so generous and unselfish about it I'm sure the "universe" will give you more than you've given up. At least I hope so....

Blessings...kathy
    Kathy

A mind is like a parachute...it works best when open....

Quote Originally Posted by stablemom View Post
    MaryMo, my daughter is only 17 and still in school and then starting culinary school so she will be with us for a while. Probably 2-3 years at least and this is okay. I love having them here, we get along great (most of the time!) and my GS is just a charming little fellow and we love seeing him every day
    When we had a 1 bedroom apartment our son had to share the room with us for a couple years....wondering why he can't share the room with her?

We had to get up and get ready for work and get him ready also...we just learned to be very quiet until it was time to get him up.

I agree that grandchildren are wonderful and enjoy having them around but I also need the "me" time and space that I have worked for. I'm hoping this doesn't sound as awful as it my seem to some but them sharing a room seems to be reasonable until he is a few years old.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie View Post
    I'm really sorry...but the way time flies....and how quickly some things change you may get a sewing space before too long....and since you're being so generous and unselfish about it I'm sure the "universe" will give you more than you've given up. At least I hope so....

Blessings...kathy

That's a nice thought! lol

Blog Entries
    You are a wonderful mom and grandmother to be providing for your family the way you do. It is hard, I know, as I have an active nearly-3yo DGD that I have been taking care of 50+ hours per week, plus some overnights since she was born. The most important thing is helping your daughter get skills and get on her feet so she will be able to ake care of her child. It takes a lot of love and patience and sacrifice to do what you are doing, but when it's time for them to move on, you will miss them. When they go out on their own you will know you have done something very significant. Try to relax and enjoy the next 2-3 years and know that it is temporary. Good luck to all of you.
    Create with joy in your heart!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast