Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Cleaning my sewing room!!! >

Cleaning my sewing room!!!

Cleaning my sewing room!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 AM

My daughter tells me I am always organizing items and then I misplace them. I decided to organize all my patterns, magazine articles, how to's, art themes, and quilts I want to make, in individual large binders. I am just about finished and I was able to give magazines away minus my favorite patterns, and thin out those shelves. Now, if I want to work on a new quilt, I pull that binder and go through it. I enjoy looking through the binders in the early morning hours when I am having my coffee and my husband and 2 little dogs are still asleep. Now, I have to get going on some scrap quilts
that will help me clear out some of the boxes of small pieces I have. I also use leftover fabric for the clothesline bowls that I enjoy making.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:10 AM

I need to get into my room and do some work as well. It has just overwhelmed me so much this winter. Well, truth be told, winter itself has just overwhelmed me so much this year. Soon, DH will be out fishing with his buddies and I will feel more like diving into reorganizing and purging. We are counting down for a move in about a year and a half and are trying to start down sizing or as I like to think of it, streamlining. One thing I really plan to work on is washing my stash. I am a washer who hasn't gotten into the habit of washing right away when fabric finds its way into my house. Then I'm slowed down when I want to sew something right now! We have to use a laundry room in the condo (no in-the-unit washing machines allowed) so this is something I can do now to help get ready. (Hope that makes sense)...
Good luck, everyone, with the spring cleaning!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 AM

My problem is my bonus room is set up with three trundle beds for the grandkids a tv and a desk.....then I put a long utility table next to my sewing machine to cut fabric and hold the quilt as I go........It is so unworkable but I don't know what else to do short of taking down the beds.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM

I have been cleaning my sewing room now for about two months. I've took up sewing in my dining room for now because I have projects I need to get finished. I find myself being a packrat.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I started my purging at Christmas. (purging Purging Purging thread) I Donated scraps and fabric that I knew that I would never use, emptied out and got rid of 3-4 Sterlite drawers on wheels. Interesting hiw much larger the room gets w/o the clutter. My new motto is to NOT buy any more "storage" containers. And, yes, even finished a few UFO's since then.

sandy
I have come to the same conclusion, the more storage the more stuff I seem to accumulate. I also have discovered that the more surfaces (table tops, bookcases, etc.) I have the more stuff I pile on them. I have been purging a lot lately too. I only have batting to go through and then get it all put back together.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 AM

For me, I'd love to have a sewing room 11x13, mine is more like 8x10 or 8x8, I can't believe how I got so much stuff organized in it but at least I know where its all at. I have 4 cube book cases stacked two high, a tall book case for fabric, a sewing table for 2 machines, an antique sewing desk for my Viking Mega quilter, an expandable cutting table and a couple of drawers on wheels and even manged to keep on small wall available for a designer wall. I'd love for that to be bigger but there is a window on that wall. We are inventive when we need to be.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
I also have discovered that the more surfaces (table tops, bookcases, etc.) I have the more stuff I pile on them.
This is so true! I decided to put some framed photos and favorite knicknacks on top of the bookcases I used for storing fabric. It keeps me from putting "stuff" up there and then forgetting about it. But this hasn't solved all the problems, just the one. Number 1 problem: I have too much furniture in my sewing room. Everyday I walk in there determined to get rid of something, but then I can't determine what!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 PM

I can't even get in my room now. I'm redoing the kitchen after I put down the hardwood laminite in the living room, dining area and kitchen. So all the "stuff" from those rooms are shoved in my sewing room. I can't even see my machine. But as soon as the kitchen is finished, I'm gonna get the sewing room done.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by estrogen View Post
My problem is my bonus room is set up with three trundle beds for the grandkids a tv and a desk.....then I put a long utility table next to my sewing machine to cut fabric and hold the quilt as I go........It is so unworkable but I don't know what else to do short of taking down the beds.
Could you use a bunk bed for two kids or would that give you no more room?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 PM

One thing we did with batting to shrink storage space of odd piece sizes, was to sew a pillow shape out of batting.square, with open side uneven ( one side has a extra 6-12" extra). take batting pieces, fold to fit pillow, stuff in laying fat, fold extra part of pillow over batting. Cover with pillowcase--made up of orphan blocks. the fuller it's stuffed, the firmer it will be. We use them for boosters on folding chairs for sewing at church or camp. Not sewed in, can measure,label size and use as needed.