Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Comic boards vs. stacking >

Comic boards vs. stacking

Comic boards vs. stacking

Old 12-28-2015, 09:29 AM

I really like comic boards. They stay neat and tidy, look nice and makes it easy to see what you have. I think they actually save space
Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 AM

When I want a fabric from a stack of folded fabrics I put a large square ruler under the fabric I want, then hold the upper part of the stack up and pull out what I want. Helps to keep the stack neater.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:00 AM

I used both the comic book boards and when I run out, just ruler fold till I get another comic book board available. If more than 5 yds I go to my local fabric store and pick up their empty bolts.

I keep a good amount of Connecting Threads name collections but at times its hard to tell one color from the next when I need to order more so with the comic book boards I'll put CT's label on it so I exactly which color I need to order. I also have a printed list for each of their collections and how much of each I have on hand so when I go to their site to order more I'll check my list to see where I might need to order more. Same goes for their quilting threads. Keeps me on top of things.

I do like how my fabric shelves look so nice and orderly with the comic book boards.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 AM

What is the ruler fold?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:00 PM

Thank you didi - now to find a store that sells old comic books.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:28 PM

I like using comic boards for neatness, but I don't think they save space. I think it depends on the depth and height of your shelving. If you can adjust your shelves to just the height of the boards standing up and if your shelves are shallow, you will fully utilize your space. But if your shelves are a few inches taller than the boards, you will have dead air space on top of the boards that you would otherwise use in stacking folded fabrics. Analyze your setup in deciding if the boards will work for you, especially if space is really tight.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM

I can't thank everyone enough for their feedback!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 AM

I have a walk-in closet where I keep my fabric. The large pieces I put on hangers and organize them by colors. The smaller pieces I fold and put them in plastic storage bin
Old 12-29-2015, 06:39 AM

No, using boards does not save space. It takes up more because of the thickness of each board. The main advantage is the neatness factor. I have yardage wrapped in dollar store foam board cut to 9x12", but it's not helpful for smaller pieces. I found that folding fabric into about 5 inch squares and filing them front to back in dollar store shoeboxes, by color, then set into a dresser, works for me.

The fabric stays tidy for the most part(unless I get lazy after auditioning a bunch and then stuffing it back in). I have tried hanging yardage on skirt hangers also. That works if it's not too thick/heavy. But usually I resort to dressers to keep things neat and not ready to Avalanche on me.

Originally Posted by riverandwoods View Post
My stash currently fits in the closet albeit tightly. If I start with boards I am afraid i would spend a lot of time and effort on it but wind up with a lot of extra fabric I wouldnt have a home for-- that it wouldn't all fit back in there . That's why I was hoping someone went thru the process and ( ideally) discovered that boarding the fabric actually saves space in the end.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 AM

That is what I do as well.