Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 04-13-2019, 03:46 PM

We got garage lower cabinets that are prefinished, need assembly. The are all drawers. They're 35" tall, 18" deep and 2' wide. Set them side by side = 6' length. Got a piece of melemite covered plywood 2' wide and 8' long. Had it cut to 74" long. It sits on top of the cabinets. Then use olfa 70" long cutting mat (it's in 2 pieces).

This means cutting surface and storage units.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I got one from Home Depot. It's the perfect height for me because I'm short. It wasn't expensive either.
You don't say what you bought at Home Depot, so I'm assuming a table... Is it a folding table? Is it adjustable? Just asking because I'm short too (4' 10" ) and I'm having trouble finding a table at the right height for me. How high is yours?
Old 11-23-2019, 07:15 AM

Hello! I am a newbie to this group. I am also looking at a cutting table for what will be my sewing room. I am looking for an adjustable table that will also fold up as I don't have a huge area in the room. I also have a large cutting mat (59" x 36") that I would like to be able to use with the table. I am looking at this table from

Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBVYQ6U...v_ov_lig_dp_it

There is also this table:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L2LVM4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Does anyone have a similar table that they use for cutting? I am curious if it would be stable enough. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 AM

I bought 2 kitchen cabinets from habitat for humanity, plywood top with stick on floor tiles. Right height and lots of storage. One bottom cabinet has the wide pull out shelves. Alonso gave me lots of drawer space for embroidery threads.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mhinds1259 View Post
Hello! I am a newbie to this group.

Does anyone have a similar table that they use for cutting? I am curious if it would be stable enough. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
mine is very similar, purchased from JoAnns at least 25-30 years ago. The only minus is if you are pressing down cutting long cuts on the very corners you do have some give. If it is small cuts you are making no problem.
The pluses: the z-shaped footprint gives you some additional storage space. I have 2 small stacked cabinets on the back side, and my trash can and scrap bucket are tucked in near the center on the front left. On the front right I have a footstool to rest either foot on which takes a lot of stress off my back when doing long term standing.

I don't know the brands you show, but I'm 100% happy with my own similar cutting table.
I will say, which goes against the flow here, is the giant cutting mats I found to be a waste of money. A 36" one is plenty big for everything I've ever cut, and gives me slide around room so I'm not cutting in the same spot all the time. I like using all the extra space on the cutting table for stacking fabric ready to be cut, or stacking already cut fabric. I've never needed the whole table as a cutting surface.

welcome to the board, I hope you will come often and post often as well. Conversation is the lifeblood of a forum.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
I also use an old kitchen island with locking wheels, it is the right height, and is movable.
I did something similar. I found an old table at a yard sale and put casters on the legs. They raised it up to a comfy height and I can roll it out of the way when I need to.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
This is on my buy list for this year, a dedicated cutting table, I’m 6ft tall and I like higher surfaces for cutting.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29084966/
Tall chick, I literally feel your pain. I am a tall chick too. Again 6 foot. My cutting table is constructed of 4 card racks from a Hallmark Store that was going out of business. Stacked 2 of them one on top of the other, 2 more side by side to the first 2.. DH made a top for the card racks. Serves 2 purposes, storage for my fabric and cutting table. Would be too high for most people. I love it. As the top is canvas with batting I can also pin and block to it. I have even used it to iron on.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620862[/ATTACH]If you want to make your own cutting table but are not sure yoou can measur/cut the wood
The big box store will cut your lumber for you If you ask them to

Here is a simple plan for a 2'' x 8'' work bench that is 32'' high
there are only 3 different lengths of wood for this table.
You can change the lengths to customize to your needs

If you want a 36'' wide table. change "A" from 24 to 36
if you want a taller table change "B" to desired height
If 8' is to long. change "C"

With table shown
the 2 plywood cuts are
2' x 8' top
2' x 7' shelf

TIP.. use a drill bit to pre drill then insert screw.
Attached Thumbnails work-bench.png   work-bench.png  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-13-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 AM

I am currently using the Ikea Skarsta adjustable table for my cutting table base. I put a 3x6 piece of plywood on top od the top it came with(cabinet grade) and put a nice durable poly finish on it. I'm thinking of getting another and setting up a ironing station the same size.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
This is on my buy list for this year, a dedicated cutting table, I’m 6ft tall and I like higher surfaces for cutting.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29084966/
I love that this is adjustable!! Mine is built in at countertop level. It was designed this way when the room was designed for me. Mine has built in cabinets and cutting counter. Right now it is a bit overwhelmed with trinkets and such. Has both the cutting mat and an ironing pad on it. I must get a great deal on it. This is an ongoing project of love.