Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Does anyone use a backless chair (saddle chair maybe) for sewing? >

Does anyone use a backless chair (saddle chair maybe) for sewing?

Does anyone use a backless chair (saddle chair maybe) for sewing?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try a cushion/towel and maybe get dh to help me build a platform. It has to be big enough for both feet though.

as far as other seating, I almost always put my feet up on the seat. Drives my dh crazy but he has longer legs and doesn't understand how uncomfortable it is to have that seat pressing on your legs. He used to yell at the kids for having their feet up on the couch until I told him it literally hurts to sit like he does when we're all shorter than him. I don't know if he believed me but he doesn't say anything anymore.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM

I am also short so I understand. I bought a lumbar pillow from Nancy's Notions and that helps with pressure behind the knees. The other thing I do is put my foot pedal on a thick novel with a pad to keep it from slipping (think shelf liner) and another book for the left foot. At classes I put down a plastic container that I carry supplies in and put my foot on that. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:36 PM

I do use a saddle chair in the studio. That said, I don't think the lack of a back will help your legs. This one that I have has a ring that is for your feet, but it's narrow enough that it might be hard on your knees if you use it. My chiropractor warned me about that one but as a motorcyclist - it doesn't bother me much, same basic position.

I do find that with the saddle chair it's more adjustable than a lot of the other adjustable chairs I've used, and I can use it at the frame, the cutting table (built to standing height), the kitchen counter and the sewing table (also at standing height)

For me, the adjustable height makes a big difference on my legs because I need different heights to quilt at depending on if it's micro fill or an all over type design. It seems to relax a little pressure by changing it up from time to time for me anyway.

The other thing that might help, and I know the saddle chair I have has it, maybe other chairs do too is the ability to tilt it quite a lot. More than my "deluxe" office chair. Tilting it forward may relieve some pressure on your legs, but probably only if used in conjunction with some sort of riser.
Attached Thumbnails img_2119.jpg  
Old 10-21-2014, 05:41 PM

I've got a swopper (actual name - really) The base does not move but the stool rotates 360 degrees, bends just a little in any direction, height is adjustable but goes a little lower when you sit on it - which gives you a boost when you get up. I love it, but it was expensive ... I got all my sewing goodies in the 5 years before I retired. Now I only need to feed my stash monkey.

It does not have any back at all
Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Ok I tried tilting the chair. Didn't help because the bottom of the chair still presses the backs of my legs when I lean forward to sew unless I'm on the very edge, which isn't comfortable. Tried a pillow and that was a waste of time because I don't sit all the way back anyway. So my only option, if I keep this chair, is to build a platform. My husband won't be available to help until after harvest so I guess I'll just deal with it until then.

Even if I get a different chair I think I need a platform. I just need to sit up too high for my height.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 PM

It wasn't a waste of time, now you know what doesn't work. That's progress too.
For now, can you try a phone book or a rubbermaid tote or similar?
I sit at a ridiculous height for my height (5'4") and my cutting table is way higher than most. It took some time to find that comfortable height though. I kept going lower, you know, because I'm short...
Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

http://www.gaiam.com/s/gaiam/balance...uVIaAhFd8P8HAQ

I got one of these off of Craig's List. I have a regular exercise ball too but I am scared dropped sewing needles might puncture it. It looks like it has a back on it but it is not for leaning against. See the video.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It wasn't a waste of time, now you know what doesn't work. That's progress too.
For now, can you try a phone book or a rubbermaid tote or similar?
I sit at a ridiculous height for my height (5'4") and my cutting table is way higher than most. It took some time to find that comfortable height though. I kept going lower, you know, because I'm short...
I need to experiment with different platform heights. I had one at our old house and it made my ankles hurt so I had to have it altered. It was too tall and my feet were angled weirdly. I'll have to find it-maybe it'll be just right for my current setup.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post

I got one of these off of Craig's List. I have a regular exercise ball too but I am scared dropped sewing needles might puncture it. It looks like it has a back on it but it is not for leaning against. See the video.
ok that is a cool chair. lol. I wonder if I could find one to try out.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post

I have a question. It says in the Q&A that the seating is 25" or 27" tall for this ball (both are listed for some reason). My sewing table has a front board on it that is 25" off the floor so it wouldn't leave room for my legs. Is the chair adjustable? I'm seriously considering saving up for one of these.

Last edited by gale; 10-21-2014 at 11:07 PM.