Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Does anyone use a backless chair (saddle chair maybe) for sewing? >
  • Does anyone use a backless chair (saddle chair maybe) for sewing?

• Does anyone use a backless chair (saddle chair maybe) for sewing?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    I am not happy with my rolling office chair-it puts pressure on the back of my knees and no adjustment will fix that. I'm wondering if a seat-only type chair is better. I'm short so I have to have something that doesn't rely on my feet being planted on the floor.
    I use what is called a "kneeling chair" from Healthy Back Store. I had a failed spinal fusion and can't sit in a regular position for any length of time. So finally found that I could sew on one of the these. I also had to relearn which foot to use on the pedal. I get nerve pain in my right leg so had to switch. Boy was that awkward at first. It made me wonder if left handed people use their left foot.
    So while I'm sewing my left leg is off the kneeling part on the pedal.
    Look them up and see if it would help you.
    Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 AM

I have an office chair but I bought a Gypsy Sit-Upon from Nancy's Notions that I like very much. I have Hip and back issues. Also when sitting on a wooden chair it really helps. It's similar to the exercise ball but in the form of a chair pad.
    Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 AM

Some gals in the office are loving their ball chairs on wheels. They would be too big for my space for sewing. I just use what they call a task chair on wheels. The seat is fairly small and no arms. I like it.
    Old 10-22-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    http://www.gaiam.com/s/gaiam/balance...uVIaAhFd8P8HAQ

I got one of these off of Craig's List. I have a regular exercise ball too but I am scared dropped sewing needles might puncture it. It looks like it has a back on it but it is not for leaning against. See the video.
    I have a coworker with back problems and she had the company buy one of these for her. She used it exactly 2 weeks and is now back in a regular chair. I tried it out...I dunno, it wasn't comfortable for me, it felt very awkward to sit in. I'm not used to sitting on a balance ball so maybe I'd have adjusted but I wasn't particularly impressed. I also have lower back problems though, so maybe that's why it felt so uncomfortable (?) I don't think it was cheap, either.
    Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 AM

I have an rolling office chair that doesn't have the back piece as it broke, works well for me. I also use a wooden chair with a cushion at the treadle machines.
    Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Linda
    I have an office chair but I bought a Gypsy Sit-Upon from Nancy's Notions that I like very much. I have Hip and back issues. Also when sitting on a wooden chair it really helps. It's similar to the exercise ball but in the form of a chair pad.
    I wonder if this would help me. I could lower my chair and then the sit-upon has sloped sides so maybe it wouldn't press on my legs. I'll have to check that out more closely. thanks
    Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM

My husband plays the drums. So he uses both his hands and his feet constantly when drumming. He has a chair called a "throne." It is goes up and down, it does not have wheels. He finds it comfortable. I use an office chair with no arms. My daughter had it, didn't have room at her new place so left it here. It works great for me. I don't sit all the way back, but that is not on purpose, just realized that I don't - I am 5'9" so need height for my legs. Also, I don't use a foot pedal, I use the button on my machine when using my Janome.
    Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM
    Power Poster

I use a little padded stool I got from IKEA. It doesn't have wheels and it sort of adjusts. I am 5'2". It is more comfortable to me than a chair with arms. I have never used a chair on wheels so don't know if I would like it.
    Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 PM

I use an office chair, no arms, with a small wooden box (about 2.5" high x 10" x 18") under my sewing table to put my foot pedal and left foot on. I am 5' and this is very comfortable...no pressure on the legs.
    Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 AM
    Power Poster

I use to use a wooden stool. If it had been an inch or two shorter it probably would have been perfect. My husband was afraid to cut off the legs. He didn't think it would be even. Being that much too high caused me to have backaches. I finally found a rolling office chair that is perfect. I had tried three before that didn't work. We were able to use those at our business.
    I hope you can find a good solution.