Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: The first thing to do when re organizing your sewing room

The first thing to do when re organizing your sewing room

One of the must haves in any sewing area is not good lighting but great lighting. Change out all bulbs to the 100 watt equivalent LED bulbs. Don't worry about but my lamps, overhead, etc. say not over 65 watts. The LED won't get near pulling that much. In fact it uses 16 watts. I have the inset can lighting in my sewing room and using this bulb is a game changer. I thought I was going to have to add track lighting but the room is so bright I don't have to now. If you have can lights try this bulb. I got it at Home Depot.

Name:  IMG_4205.JPG
Views: 1913
Size:  39.7 KB
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    My husband jokes that I could do surgery in my sewing room it’s so bright. Glad you found some bulbs that brighten your room.

Great information!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    My husband jokes that I could do surgery in my sewing room it’s so bright. Glad you found some bulbs that brighten your room.

Well...you kinda do! Cut, put stitches in---it's a real operation!

I have all those shop lights in my sewing room, had them installed back 8 yrs ago when I bought the house. They use the T8 - 4ft bulbs. Thought it would cost me a small fortune to change them all out but found at one of our local hardware stores that I can change out the T8 bulbs for LED without having to change out the actual hardware. Yeah. Only problem is I have a case of 10 bulbs and hate to waste them so waiting for a number of them to go out on me before I start to change them all out to the LED bulbs. It will still be costly but not as much as having to replace all the units. My sister had all LED overhead shop lights installed in her garage when she bought the house so I know how much it cost her..................Ouch!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-11-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I use daylight LED lights in my ceiling fan lights. It works great and really looks like daylight inside.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Agreed! My little sewing room had no overhead lighting, just a wall sconce. We replaced the sconce with a 4 tube daylight fluorescent light (the kind normally used overhead) and it is great! Added bonus is no shadow from the light being above my head.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I have LED lights in my sewing room. Four overhead and five in a floor lamp. Can't have too much light.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'd wanted better lighting in my sewing rooms for years and made do with daylight bulbs in lamps.
    My dear SIL moved the fluorescent shop light that my DH had scavenged years ago from the cellar (he used it for starting seedlings - had daylights in it).
    Yes! I can do surgery too!
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

When I read the heading on this thread, my first thought was "Close the door, pour yourself a good stiff drink and look at quilting sites until the urge passes"

We are hoping to make a dedicated sewing room for me this summer/autumn. I can hardly wait for good lighting and a non-carpeted floor.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.