Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Getting my dream sewing studio >

Getting my dream sewing studio

Getting my dream sewing studio

Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM

I'm also in the "wash before cutting group" so I told DH that I am going to want a washer and dryer. Won't be super large but I'm not usually washing really big chunks of fabric. My current washer/dryer is great for washing large yardage (like 10 yards of extra wide) and finished quilts, and I'm bringing them with me so I'll keep using them for larger items. It will be nice to have machines for washing the smaller yardages as I buy them. I saw a decent sized front loader stackable set and something like that would work.

As to the flooring, I'm very concerned about the use of roller chairs as I will be using them in several areas. My current sewing area has hardwood flooring and I've had to put down floor protectors to keep them from getting really scuffed up. At least they are refinishable. However the good quality protectors cost $40 each, and I'd need 3-4 more of them and that would be a lot of funds to put towards nicer flooring that does not need them.

I'll probably just live with the carpet for a while, until I get something figured out. I'm starting to get overwhelmed and a bit panicky about the move!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

We have some industrial/commercial carpeting that has a short pile - pins "float" on it - and it is probably around 30 years old - over concrete.

I can not see where my roller chair has been.

The only marks on it are from where I set a hot iron on it (did not realize that setting it flat would activate it, and I did not have enough sense to unplug it) and where some fray check spilled on it.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:52 AM

Yesterday DH and I spent the day at Ikea looking at cabinets for the sewing studio. Can't buy anything until after we close on the house, but now we have a much better idea of what we are interested in.

I did settle on flooring for the studio. Went to a different flooring place that we've bought from before, and got a lot better information. Will be going with a vinyl plank and putting rubber wheels on my chairs.

We've packed up as much as we want to do ahead of time, and now it's just waiting until we close and can get moving. I kept a few projects out for sewing, but I keep thinking about what it's going to be like working in the new area and get distracted from what I'm doing lol!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Im sure the waiting is hard... kinda like your whole life is “on hold” until that day! I’m glad you got more info on the vinyl plank to feel comfortable using it. I thought about sending you some photos of mine, but didnt want to overload you with needless info since it sounded like you had made a different decision already. I think you will be as happy with yours as we are with ours! Cant wait to see the whole room come together for you! 😊
Old 12-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Closing is set for the 20th - so one more week to go and then the "fun" begins. The appraisal is done and it's cleared underwriting so now we just wait. We were originally scheduled to close the 23rd so it's nice to be doing it on a Friday instead of Monday.

DH and I have been discussing the logistics of the move. I want to move my sewing room first, mostly because that is the room in our current home that is going to need to most work so I want it cleared out so I can get started. I've got a lot of stuff on the walls that is coming down so there will be patching and painting to do. We hope to have our current home spruced up and ready to list by the end of January.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:02 AM

Glad you figured out your flooring. Closing and moving just a few days before Christmas! Whew! And getting everything ready at the old house in a month is quite a goal. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2019, 05:49 AM

Congrats on your progress and decisions. You must be excited to get started on the move. I wish all the quilters here could come and help you with packing and moving.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:28 AM

I clicked into QB this morning early..I have not been active for a long time..did not realize how much I missed it..Cathy I am excited for you!!! I am from SD (years ago) so it is fun to see your posts! I have family living in the Hills still..
Old 12-14-2019, 09:08 AM

thanks Alice!

Rhonda, I wish they could all come and help pack too - I'd send each one home with at least one vintage machine

I've got most of my sewing room packed up except the machines. That means no more sewing until I'm moved in. Just finished packing up my horse statue collection, packed up all my batting scraps at the same time! I've been putting wide backing fabric in the bottom of the boxes with breakable stuff and then packing stash around them.

I find I can only box up 2-3 boxes and then I need to take a break. Next on the list is to pack up my Featherweight display. the machines will go in their cases, and all the other stuff will get boxed up.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a wonderful plan to move in and get organized and then deal with other house - we had this option when we moved here and it really does cut down on stress.