Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Getting my dream sewing studio >

Getting my dream sewing studio

Getting my dream sewing studio

Old 12-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Awesome. I love it when hubby and I agree. He just built a new garage with huge workshop. I got the old, attached garage. It’s right off the kitchen and near bathroom. It’s roughly 400 sq ft. Now I want the sit down long arm. Can’t sleep either.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:03 AM

Just a few more days - I am so ready to start actually moving. DH and I were discussing moving the LA. Due to have to go up a flight of stairs and turn through a doorway, We may have to take apart the LA table to get it up there since it's 12' long. Not a big problem but I may need to order a new plastic guide rail, as it sticks on, and I think if I pull it off it won't stick again. Though it's stuck to the top liner and that is flexible so I may be able to take the liner off, leave the rail on it and bend it around to get it in the doorway. The table will break down to three sections. The metal side rails are one piece, but they could go through a window if they won't go around the corner.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you have a plan and a contingency. We are inept in these kind of things so I am in awe of all that you and the hubs can accomplish yourselves.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:34 AM

Today is a major packing day. DH rented an 18' enclosed trailer that we'll pick up tomorrow afternoon and have for the weekend. He said it was worth the cost so we could more easily move the LA frame. Not counting our vehicles, the LA and embroidery machine are the most expensive items we'll be moving.

i have been doing good packing up my sewing room. Only got distracted once by something I forgot I had (pattern book) but I knew I can't get involved with any projects now so it wasn't too hard to put down.

Later this morning I'll go out to the bin and grab my sewing machine boxes for the newer machines and get them packed up. I've got the closet in my stash room cleaned out enough I can get to my FW cases in the back, so they'll get packed up today too.

Guess I'd better get back to packing now - I work up at 4:30 so needed a break.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Oh you make me tired just listening to you about the big move....adrenaline is a good thing! Best of luck.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:39 AM

Well, with all the craziness dealing with a move, we are finally getting ready to start installing the vinyl plank flooring. I've only had to move the boxes of flooring one time - as they ended up in the way of something else where we first put them. One of the main holdups with this is DH decided he needed a new tool, and didn't want to order it until after we were moved in. It's out for deliver today!

I have so wanted to unpack my main sewing machines, but it's better for them to stay boxed up until I can set them on the tables and they won't need to be moved. That means after the floor is installed. I have set up the tables so I know where everything is going - that way I won't be dragging stuff over the new floor trying to figure out where it will fit best.

We are leaving the carpet in the LA room, so that is set up but we don't have the wiring for the light bar done yet. DH had to unwire part of it to take it apart to move.

DH and I still have a lot of work to get the old place ready to list - but we are getting closer!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:10 AM

Wow Cathy! You guys are amazing. I can’t wait to see pics when you get it all set up. Glad you found a place that’s closer to work and has great space for your studio!

Rob
Old 01-07-2020, 07:03 AM

How exciting! Since it is now January I hope you have closed on your new home and are moving into the most important part, you new sewing studio! I am sooooooo happy for you.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:44 AM

Cathy!! So excited for you and your hubby!! You will have everything in place soon and you will be loving it!! You both are so good at making your space suit your needs not only for a comfy sewing area but also for your collection for all of your beautiful machines!
I remember when you converted your last sewing space and it was amazing! Please post pics of your progress!
Old 01-07-2020, 02:01 PM

We closed on Dec 20th, and have been moving stuff since. Since we are moving off 40 acres with several buildings, it's going to take a while. We've been living at the new house since the 24th.

I plan on sharing pictures, but have been without internet at the new home until this afternoon. I've been posting a bit at work on breaks - but don't have the time to do pictures.

I'll have room for most of my sewing machines collection, but not all the cabinets so hope to be finding new homes for them soon. I've got room for about 20 cabinets so I've had to really cherry pick my favorites.

I told DH I wanted to start working on the floor today, he wasn't impressed lol! If nothing else, I can start ripping up lengths of carpet.