Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help! >

Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help!

Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help!

Old 06-25-2014, 03:24 PM

I can see why Grandma is overwhelmed. Just get started. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Start with one color and get it all organized. I do strip, squares, FQ and larger pieces. Put them in a bin as you cut and fold. Just keep at it until you get one color done at at time. And use whatever bins/bags she already has to sort the other colors as you pull the 1st one. I just did this and only have one color, Blue, left to do. Amazing how much less space I'm using AND it all fits in rolling bins so I can move it from place to place.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:22 AM

Maybe you could get your Mom and Aunt to help you and Granny redo her sewing room. You guys could have such a great time spending the day being together and just chit-chatting about old times and everything as you do this project. Your Mom and Aunt could fold the fabric and sort it by colors while you and Granny organized the room. If the room is to small for everyone to be in it at once, you could always fold and sort the fabric in another room. Good luck and I know Granny will think this is one of the greatest gifts ever.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Sort by color, one container at a time. Separate the fat quarters (or approx. that size), and put the fat quarters into a separate container (a DVD holder works great, but don't buy till you're done, so you know what you need). Do one section at a time, and turn on some music, and just enjoy that project without focusing on what else 'is to be done'. You're helping your grandmother do something that is totally overwhelming for HER to do, and when its all done, she will have a well-organized space that she can actually go into and create in again. Once you've got it organized she may want to tweak things a bit to work for her (being older means adjustments due to limitations of our body), which is ok. If gran is there while you're doing it, talking while you work will make it enjoyable, too. I used to ask my grandmother about what her world was like when she was little when we were working on projects around her place (the stories will be wonderful - write them down!), and those are precious to me.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Just start in one spot and get going. You may have to move the fabrics off of the table so you have some place to begin sorting and put colors in piles. etc. I just go at it and move things from one part to another when I get a spot cleaned up. You can do it, but right now I can't think of anything worse to have to do on a hot day! Good luck.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM

Looks like my own stash, which my dear granddaughter might inherit some day. So slowly I have been sorting - dress fabrics, quilt fabrics; anything smaller than 1/4 yard I put in a bin which will be donated to someone who makes beddings for dogs at the animal shelter. I may even put some for sale on CraigsList.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Oh my!! I would love to tackle that pile of stuff!! I love organizing........ What would I do?

1. Empty the table and one row of shelves. (You need space to work)
2. Separate decorator fabric from quilting fabric.
3. Start folding and stacking by color......

Then, just keep going. What fun!!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be a lot easier dealing with someone else's "stuff" than my own.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 PM

What a great way for you, your DM, DGM, and aunts to share time together to accomplish a great project for a wonderful lady... Hope to see the finished pictures!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 AM

LOL...this really gave me a good chuckle this morning
Originally Posted by Thinkuvme2 View Post
Maybe there was an avalanche in grandma's sewing room and she's buried in there??