Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight for Storage and Quilting Solutions

Harbor Freight for Storage and Quilting Solutions

I'm married to a general contractor, so I spend a lot of time with him, shopping at places like Home Depot, Friedman's and online at Harbor Freight Tools. (Yawn...I hate shopping with him...LOL.) However, I've found some interesting things at HFT that could apply to quilt making and sewing space that are pretty cheap and very sturdy. They're having a big sale right now, so I thought I'd pass on some ideas.

- "40 X 72" moving blankets (might be wonderful for a quick, padded, outdoor, quilt back) $3.99

- 2 shelf industrial cart, polypropylene, (OK...kinda ugly, but indestructible) $79.99

- 3-shelf, bright red, steel, rolling cart, (also comes in magenta, super cute in a sewing room) $49.99

- 60" 4-drawer, hardwood workbench, (extremely sturdy and nice looking too) $129.99

- 15" zippered tool bag, (big, roomy, good for quilting on the go) $6.99

- 60 Yards Masking Paper, (great for making patterns) $5.99

- 4' x 12' canvas drop cloth (I'm using these to make curtains, bed skirt and window shades...cheap!) $8.99

Anyone else have some good ideas on how to make use of items from the big box hardware stores?

~ C

RJ
    all great ideas---except check the cheap moving blankets---they are made of some paper-like stuff---not washable. We put one in the back seat of our car as a dog blanket and her nails tore the blanket.
    We have a great rolling tool cabinet that we put our 6 needle embroidery machine on--lots of storage underneath..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    I'm married to a general contractor, so I spend a lot of time with him, shopping at places like Home Depot, Friedman's and online at Harbor Freight Tools. (Yawn...I hate shopping with him...LOL.) However, I've found some interesting things at HFT that could apply to quilt making and sewing space that are pretty cheap and very sturdy. They're having a big sale right now, so I thought I'd pass on some ideas.

- "40 X 72" moving blankets (might be wonderful for a quick, padded, outdoor, quilt back) $3.99

- 2 shelf industrial cart, polypropylene, (OK...kinda ugly, but indestructible) $79.99

- 3-shelf, bright red, steel, rolling cart, (also comes in magenta, super cute in a sewing room) $49.99

- 60" 4-drawer, hardwood workbench, (extremely sturdy and nice looking too) $129.99

- 15" zippered tool bag, (big, roomy, good for quilting on the go) $6.99

- 60 Yards Masking Paper, (great for making patterns) $5.99

- 4' x 12' canvas drop cloth (I'm using these to make curtains, bed skirt and window shades...cheap!) $8.99

Anyone else have some good ideas on how to make use of items from the big box hardware stores?

~ C
    wow, thanks for sharing these great ideas
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    all great ideas---except check the cheap moving blankets---they are made of some paper-like stuff---not washable. We put one in the back seat of our car as a dog blanket and her nails tore the blanket.
    We have a great rolling tool cabinet that we put our 6 needle embroidery machine on--lots of storage underneath..
    good to know
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Now if we just had pictures.....lol

from Harbor Freight - 45mm round blades - used in the handle for carpet layers to cut carpet but fit into a rotary cutter. I have an Olfa and it fits, and I think they fit in Fiskars too. 2 in a pack $1.99. Sometimes blades are not as sharp as other batches but can't beat the price.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 07-21-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    from Harbor Freight - 45mm round blades - used in the handle for carpet layers to cut carpet but fit into a rotary cutter. I have an Olfa and it fits, and I think they fit in Fiskars too. 2 in a pack $1.99. Sometimes blades are not as sharp as other batches but can't beat the price.
    Sometimes good - sometimes bad. Price is good though.

I discovered a wealth of sewing stuff on a trip to Sears with my husband many years ago. Little see thru boxes to hold feet, needles, misc stuff, big washers to use as pattern holders, tool carriers to hold sewing tools. I love hardware stores! I always walk thru with an eye to what I can use in my sewing room.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I've been thinking...I gotta have one of those red, or magenta rolling carts from HFT that I've mentioned in the first thread. I'm decorating the loft with colorful quilts and rugs. The bright color will really go wellwith everything I have so far. I think I'll get the cart and some rectangular baskets to put on the cart's shelves for storage. Adorable! Sure beats those broken down plastic carts that I dealing with.

Here's the links to what I'm referring to:https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-...art-62179.html
    and
    https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inc...art-97542.html
    and
    https://www.harborfreight.com/large-...wer-90428.html

(Sorry, I can't find the magenta one right now, but it was really cute.)

(No, I'm not employed by HFT and I'm not trying to push their products. I'm just having a creative brainstorm.)

~C

Here are some of my favourite HFT things:

Great bag to take to sew days etc. I decorated mine with fabric paint. Very sturdy and only $11
    https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...bag-38124.html

Magnetic pin tray $3
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch...ray-90566.html

Magnetic telescoping rod for picking up pins $4
    https://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-...ool-95933.html

Magnetic tool bar (like a knife rack) i use for scissors etc $5
    https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...der-60433.html

Locking forceps $3 great tool for many things, i.e. turning fabric tubes, grabbing stubborn threads stuck in bobbin area, etc.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-2-...amp-99931.html

Thanks for the idea about the 60 yards of masking paper. I make a lot of patterns for non-quilting type sewing and will check into that masking paper right away.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

I use the magnetic tool bar mentioned above when I'm floating quilt tops on my LA. It's very strong and can keep the top securely attached to the belly bar.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    The fishing aisle in Wal Mart etc is also a good place to shop. The lure boxes and tackle boxes are great for storing things.

I have the above mentioned canvas bag. I keep it right beside my machine on the floor with my quilting essentials. Whenever I leave to go to a class or sewing day, just pick up my bag and go. Saves so much time and I know the things I need are already there.

What do you all think about using the three shelf cart (the one where the handle is flush with the top) as an ironing station? My husband should be able to make me a slightly larger board for it. You could store your ironing supplies below, including your iron when you aren't using it, and fabrics or projects waiting to be ironed there too. Or maybe fusibles. Hmmmm....

As many times as I've been to Harbor Freight, I ask for these round blades and nobody there knows what I'm talking about. FRUSTRATING!

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    I've been thinking...I gotta have one of those red, or magenta rolling carts from HFT that I've mentioned in the first thread. I'm decorating the loft with colorful quilts and rugs. The bright color will really go wellwith everything I have so far. I think I'll get the cart and some rectangular baskets to put on the cart's shelves for storage. Adorable! Sure beats those broken down plastic carts that I dealing with.

Here's the links to what I'm referring to:https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-...art-62179.html
    and
    https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inc...art-97542.html
    and
    https://www.harborfreight.com/large-...wer-90428.html

(Sorry, I can't find the magenta one right now, but it was really cute.)

(No, I'm not employed by HFT and I'm not trying to push their products. I'm just having a creative brainstorm.)

~C
    I saw on that page with the magenta cart a magnetic parts holder...good to hold you sewing pins.

I bought the fold down small dolly to put my sewing machine and supplies on when I go to quilting classes and quilt retreats. Sure saves the back!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    As many times as I've been to Harbor Freight, I ask for these round blades and nobody there knows what I'm talking about. FRUSTRATING!
    It's the replacement blades for a carpet cutter

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...=carpet+cutter

I used the hardwood workbench for a ironing station. DH put castor wheels on it and filled the holes on top. It's great! I believe I got the idea from this board.

Here is a picture of my workbench from Harbor Freight as a ironing station.
    Name:  DSCN0144 (640x480).jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  222.6 KB

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing a photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam's gram View Post
    Here is a picture of my workbench from Harbor Freight as a ironing station.
    Name:  DSCN0144 (640x480).jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  222.6 KB

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    These work great for cutting paper. I find not so great for fabric. JMO

I bought the 3-shelf, bright red, steel, rolling cart, (also comes in magenta, super cute in a sewing room) $49.99 and use it as my ironing board. We made a "big board" (silver ironing board fabric, wood, etc.). I love it because I can roll it out of the way AND there is storage underneath for ironing supplies, etc. Love it, love it.

LindaOH...I love that idea...it came out looking really nice! Those little baskets on the bottom shelf are cute too.

~ C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast