Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Harbor Freight for Storage and Quilting Solutions >

Harbor Freight for Storage and Quilting Solutions

Harbor Freight for Storage and Quilting Solutions

Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,090
Default Harbor Freight for Storage and Quilting Solutions

I'm married to a general contractor, so I spend a lot of time with him, shopping at places like Home Depot, Friedman's and online at Harbor Freight Tools. (Yawn...I hate shopping with him...LOL.) However, I've found some interesting things at HFT that could apply to quilt making and sewing space that are pretty cheap and very sturdy. They're having a big sale right now, so I thought I'd pass on some ideas.

- "40 X 72" moving blankets (might be wonderful for a quick, padded, outdoor, quilt back) $3.99

- 2 shelf industrial cart, polypropylene, (OK...kinda ugly, but indestructible) $79.99

- 3-shelf, bright red, steel, rolling cart, (also comes in magenta, super cute in a sewing room) $49.99

- 60" 4-drawer, hardwood workbench, (extremely sturdy and nice looking too) $129.99

- 15" zippered tool bag, (big, roomy, good for quilting on the go) $6.99

- 60 Yards Masking Paper, (great for making patterns) $5.99

- 4' x 12' canvas drop cloth (I'm using these to make curtains, bed skirt and window shades...cheap!) $8.99

Anyone else have some good ideas on how to make use of items from the big box hardware stores?

~ C
tropit is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 04:50 AM
  #2  
RJ
Junior Member
 
RJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: olympic peninsula Washington
Posts: 156
Default

all great ideas---except check the cheap moving blankets---they are made of some paper-like stuff---not washable. We put one in the back seat of our car as a dog blanket and her nails tore the blanket.
We have a great rolling tool cabinet that we put our 6 needle embroidery machine on--lots of storage underneath..
RJ is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
QuiltnNan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
Posts: 51,272
Default

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm married to a general contractor, so I spend a lot of time with him, shopping at places like Home Depot, Friedman's and online at Harbor Freight Tools. (Yawn...I hate shopping with him...LOL.) However, I've found some interesting things at HFT that could apply to quilt making and sewing space that are pretty cheap and very sturdy. They're having a big sale right now, so I thought I'd pass on some ideas.

- "40 X 72" moving blankets (might be wonderful for a quick, padded, outdoor, quilt back) $3.99

- 2 shelf industrial cart, polypropylene, (OK...kinda ugly, but indestructible) $79.99

- 3-shelf, bright red, steel, rolling cart, (also comes in magenta, super cute in a sewing room) $49.99

- 60" 4-drawer, hardwood workbench, (extremely sturdy and nice looking too) $129.99

- 15" zippered tool bag, (big, roomy, good for quilting on the go) $6.99

- 60 Yards Masking Paper, (great for making patterns) $5.99

- 4' x 12' canvas drop cloth (I'm using these to make curtains, bed skirt and window shades...cheap!) $8.99

Anyone else have some good ideas on how to make use of items from the big box hardware stores?

~ C
wow, thanks for sharing these great ideas
__________________
Nancy in western NY
before you speak T.H.I.N.K. T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
QuiltnNan is online now  
Old 07-21-2017, 05:51 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
QuiltnNan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
Posts: 51,272
Default

Originally Posted by RJ View Post
all great ideas---except check the cheap moving blankets---they are made of some paper-like stuff---not washable. We put one in the back seat of our car as a dog blanket and her nails tore the blanket.
We have a great rolling tool cabinet that we put our 6 needle embroidery machine on--lots of storage underneath..
good to know
__________________
Nancy in western NY
before you speak T.H.I.N.K. T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
QuiltnNan is online now  
Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
tucsonquilter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,081
Default

Now if we just had pictures.....lol
tucsonquilter is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:23 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
paintmejudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ suburb
Posts: 4,660
Default

from Harbor Freight - 45mm round blades - used in the handle for carpet layers to cut carpet but fit into a rotary cutter. I have an Olfa and it fits, and I think they fit in Fiskars too. 2 in a pack $1.99. Sometimes blades are not as sharp as other batches but can't beat the price.

Last edited by paintmejudy; 07-21-2017 at 03:25 PM.
paintmejudy is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 737
Default

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
from Harbor Freight - 45mm round blades - used in the handle for carpet layers to cut carpet but fit into a rotary cutter. I have an Olfa and it fits, and I think they fit in Fiskars too. 2 in a pack $1.99. Sometimes blades are not as sharp as other batches but can't beat the price.
Sometimes good - sometimes bad. Price is good though.
cindyb is offline  
Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,680
Default

I discovered a wealth of sewing stuff on a trip to Sears with my husband many years ago. Little see thru boxes to hold feet, needles, misc stuff, big washers to use as pattern holders, tool carriers to hold sewing tools. I love hardware stores! I always walk thru with an eye to what I can use in my sewing room.
cashs_mom is offline  
Old 07-22-2017, 06:52 AM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mendocino Coast, CA
Posts: 2,090
Default

I've been thinking...I gotta have one of those red, or magenta rolling carts from HFT that I've mentioned in the first thread. I'm decorating the loft with colorful quilts and rugs. The bright color will really go wellwith everything I have so far. I think I'll get the cart and some rectangular baskets to put on the cart's shelves for storage. Adorable! Sure beats those broken down plastic carts that I dealing with.

Here's the links to what I'm referring to:https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-...art-62179.html
and
https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inc...art-97542.html
and
https://www.harborfreight.com/large-...wer-90428.html

(Sorry, I can't find the magenta one right now, but it was really cute.)

(No, I'm not employed by HFT and I'm not trying to push their products. I'm just having a creative brainstorm.)

~C
tropit is offline  
Old 07-22-2017, 08:32 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 32
Default

Here are some of my favourite HFT things:

Great bag to take to sew days etc. I decorated mine with fabric paint. Very sturdy and only $11
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...bag-38124.html

Magnetic pin tray $3
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch...ray-90566.html

Magnetic telescoping rod for picking up pins $4
https://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-...ool-95933.html

Magnetic tool bar (like a knife rack) i use for scissors etc $5
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...der-60433.html

Locking forceps $3 great tool for many things, i.e. turning fabric tubes, grabbing stubborn threads stuck in bobbin area, etc.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-2-...amp-99931.html
ybradbury is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
parselysage
Main
15
05-24-2019 06:14 AM
Valerie Scherr
Main
12
08-20-2011 07:46 PM
rushdoggie
Main
7
03-01-2011 01:45 AM
sew_lulu
Links and Resources
2
01-21-2010 09:13 AM
MarthaVA
Links and Resources
1
01-05-2010 01:43 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.