Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
has anyone made a Large sewing table? >

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:41 AM

My sewing table is a very old Steelcase desk. It is very heavy, and never vibrates when sewing fast. It has drawers underneath. For a sewing chair, I bought a not just an office chair - but a drafting chair. Looks like an office chair, but it goes up higher. I can sit at the perfect height.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:39 AM

You can cut the bottom off cabinets to make them shorter - just leave enough for the drawer or door to open. Another option is ordering cabinets for bathrooms. Most cabinet lines make shorter ones for vanities. Also, the countertops add ~1.5". Forgot to post this info before.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
My long arm sits in a table that is 48 x 60 , with one of the corners rounded off. It is attached directly to the wall and has a bookshelf for the leg.
I really like the light that looks like it's attached to your longarm. What brand is it? It really seems like one that would help in my situation
Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 AM

I have total table envy!!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
This is sort of on the topic.

Not my sewing desk/table, but my "other table," can be raised and lowered! My personal creation: ta, ta: an inexpensive table and exceedingly elegant concrete blocks and assorted sets of wooden blocks (when needed for more "up and down") to fit the number of legs to raise and lower said table.

Think of the possibilities. No having to get onto someone else's creation list. No having to satisfy anyone other than yourself (your sewing place, your pick). No needing help to accomplish the up and down motion. And "right this very minute" for "when?". And on and on.

Yesssssss followed by hand pumps!

Pat
I love the idea of doing it yourself. I hate to wait for someone else to do something for me.
Cindy
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
I really like the light that looks like it's attached to your longarm. What brand is it? It really seems like one that would help in my situation

It's just a clamp on light we bought at Target. It is LED it works great, nice and bright.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:54 AM

I found a large executive desk at one of the stores selling used office furniture, $25. My husband then cit the legs to the height I liked and made a space for my sewing machine. Works get, I even have room on the other side for when my daughters com over to sew with me.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM

My husband made my table & it measures 76X48. It is fantastic! He made it in 4 pieces so it would be easy to move if necessary. It has a "well" for my machine and 4 small drawers with adjustable shelves. We painted the bottom portion white and stained the top. I would love to post a picture but I have no idea how to do that.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
... I've discovered that the perfect height for my sewing machine is 29 inches, so kitchen cabinets won't work underneath because they are too tall. I want to be able to put drawers under both sides for storage.,,,
i needed a shorter than kitchen cabinet once... i just cut off the bottom toe kick for the right height.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Mine is only 48" x 48". I'm just using those little short book cases from Walmart on each corner with a 4 foot sheet of wood from lowes on top. It's working great. You would probably have to have something extra in the center.