Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
House Addition for Sewing Room >

House Addition for Sewing Room

House Addition for Sewing Room

Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 PM

As a Brit, living in a standard 'semi', I can only drool. I guess I am luckier than most to have the use of the spare double bedroom, but haven't had the courage to jettison the bed yet!!

Having extended the ground floor here, I agree with the mantra of 'plan, plan and keep planning'. I can remember getting out of bed in the middle of the night with a new thought in my head and a tape measure in my hand.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Make sure that you get the advice of a certified electrician. Not only will you have way more lights than an average room, you will need several different circuit beakers for the room..all of the lights,fans,A/C,machines, irons...they all draw and it's very cheap to add circuits in the planning stage, much worse after the fact! I have 4 in my sewing room, they are all 20 amp circuits. I have outlets running along the floor(about 12" above), and then a ton of them along the walls my machines are on to allow for lights, machines, etc.
I got a lot of my ideas from a Sewing with Nancy series she did years ago when she made a really good sewing space..lots of light and breakers!!!
Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 AM

I found a lot of useable ideas in this book that can be incorporated in as you go along. The empty space in the walls between two X fours for one.
Dream Sewing Spaces : Design and Organization for Spaces Large and Small
by Lynette Black

My best advice? While you are planning save twice the money you think you will need