Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How often do you tidy your sewing area

In the “not often enough” category.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    I'm with zozee! But I do have a question...how many of the previous respondents that clean upreligiously are retired with no other "work" commitments. It seems I squeeze sewing time in between work, my off the farm PT job and my on farm PT job.
    I work full time and long hours so even more reason for me to tidy up completely after each session. Generally I can only sew at weekends so everything goes away during the week. Sometimes if I have been sewing late on a Saturday and I know I will start again early on Sunday I will leave some bits out but mostly things go away. I share the room with my husbands painting hobby and we have a cat (who is always trying to get in my fabric cupboard for a snooze) so there are other reasons for being tidy as well.

oksewglad-I am "retire" but have a part time/on call job, no set hours/day/night etc. In October, I had 176 hours, dh came over to the sewing room and wanted to know when I was going to start working part time? LOL I also have a separate sewing room, so there's not any desire to clean up before I leave the room. LOL
    Last edited by pocoellie; 02-28-2019 at 01:33 PM.

I'm with zozee! But I do have a question...how many of the previous respondents that clean upreligiously are retired with no other "work" commitments. It seems I squeeze sewing time in between work, my off the farm PT job and my on farm PT job.
    .............. and your kids, and your grands, and your volunteer commitments, and and and and ..........

My excuse is that I don't clean up often enough, as I would far sooner spend the time in working on a quilt in one way or the other, than to do all that tidying and cleaning!

Maybe we need a different thread ..... Best excuses for not tidying up your sewing room???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    .............. and your kids, and your grands, and your volunteer commitments, and and and and ..........

My excuse is that I don't clean up often enough, as I would far sooner spend the time in working on a quilt in one way or the other, than to do all that tidying and cleaning!

Maybe we need a different thread ..... Best excuses for not tidying up your sewing room???
    HaHa QE...when I saw that you had commented, I thought, "Oh she's a tidy upper!" What a surprise! Yup we need a new angle on this thread...haha.

Oh and this morning I ran over to a friend's house to look at her "new" sewing machine she bought for $10 that she couldn't get stitching right. It's a Singer Stylist (copyright in book was 1974). Oh my it was so clean inside when we looked inside to oil it...she got a bargain. A little messing with the tension, changed the needle and put some good thread in ...she had some Walmart bad stuff in it.. and it was sewing very well. I left her with 2 packets of Schmetz needles (80 universal and 100 denim). She can mend to her heart's content now. And what a good excuse to spend the morning with her!

Oh and thanks for everyone's reply to my query.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

..........And what a good excuse to spend the morning with her!........
    ..... and to not clean up at home!

HaHa QE...when I saw that you had commented, I thought, "Oh she's a tidy upper!" What a surprise! Yup we need a new angle on this thread...haha..............
    Yup not a tidy-upper indeed ....
    ....probably from all the years of being a good-farm-wife that was too busy!!

Your wish is my desire ...............
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/missio...ml#post8217923

Go there and post your little out!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I pick up threads and trimmings from the floor as I see them. Sometimes I put things away and sometimes not. When I change machines I dust sewing cabinet and clean dust etc, from under cabinet and around it as I can reach. We are retired and I sew everyday. I use to be a clean freak when I was working and raising kids. Not so much now.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm in the a place for everything, and everything in it's place group. I cannot be productive in chaos. I vacuum and dust weekly and tidy up when sewing inbetween by putting things away after I have used them. I do a deep clean every spring,including windows and moving the furniture to dust and clean under it. I have a cat that frequents my studio and DH and I heat with wood, both of which add to the usual dust.

My sewing studio is on the second floor ( I claimed my son's bedroom when he went off to college 8 years ago) which does allow me to leave projects out when working on them and not worry about how it looks when company comes to the house. Previous to having my own space, when the kids were still home, I sewed on the dining room table for many years. I do find I am more productive in my own space where I can leave a project out and not have to pick it up and put away it after each sewing session. And when it comes to quilting, I really like to be productive.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Blog Entries
    I am in the semi-retired group and have no excuse not to keep my room tidy... I spend about a half hour each Friday afternoon or Saturday morning putting things in their place, empty trash bins and dust/swift the floor. I usually only have one or two projects going at a time, so it’s not too chaotic in my sewing room.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I never drop things on the floor and leave them there. Old habit from having animals in the house. We have two Goldens now who are gated out of the hall and sewing room(s), but old habits die hard. I prefer to clean up after every project or I spend more time looking for things than sewing! My room is a mess now from too many on-going projects and it drives me crazy as I don't have enough space. One is a BOWeek, one a travel quilt that got put aside for other more pressing things and now a baby quilt for a baby that arrived a month early. Fabric is starched and ironed and on a drying rack; finished areas of the travel quilt are on my long table, the baby quilt sections are on the guest bed etc. etc. I can't wait for at least one to be done (the baby quilt) so that I can finally restore some order.

I have a decent sized sewing area.....only downsize is I share it with my catís litter. Not as bad as it sounds as he is an outdoor cat and only uses it when we are away or it is -20. But....wonít risk closing the door just in case and therefore cannot leave any fabric, partially completed or completed projects anywhere he can access. He can not resist laying down on fabric and quilts no matter how much he needs to contort his body to do so. Therefore everything gets put away.....sigh.

Tidy? What is this word you speak of? lol. I clean when I can't see the floor or any horizontal surface any more.

Cari

My sewing room is the only room in the house that I have100% control over, with no one else leaving messes. But my sewing room is my sanctuary and alsothe cleanest and tidiest room in the house, so I spend a great deal of time inthere.
    I tidy it up everyday, projects neatly organized, all toolsput away, floor swept and surfaces dusted (at least around the sewing andcutting tables) – takes me all of five minutes at the end of each day. When any project is completed, then all theleft-over fabrics are sorted (by size) folded and put away and the whole roomgets a thorough dusting, sweeping & lint rolling (design wall).
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-05-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I think I will try setting a timer for 5 minutes after I’m done for the day and see if I feel more welcomed to my sewing area the next day.

It is a balancing act isn’t it and i love the thread for excuses.

I usually have 5-6 projects going simultaneously so that thereís always something to work on to fit my current mood. Sometimes I just donít want to think and need something simple to work on. Therefore thereís a lot of stuff out all the time. It doesnít bother me though. I have a large room in the basement dedicated for sewing, thereís no pets to worry about, the kids are married, the grandkids have moved away, and hubby doesnít mind my mess, so...I clean up when it gets piled high and deep and I canít find anything!
    Julie

for me it is usually some other event that triggers a "tidying up" episode.....I have lost something and have to search for it, the end of a project that was particularly messy, and just the other day I spilled a glass of water on my computer desk (which is in my sewing room) and in cleaning that up, saw how dusty it was so wiping the dust down, the serger sits on the corner of the computer desk, that area was dusty, next to it is my 6600, everything is along the wall....you really can't dust without picking stuff up and while you have it in your hand might as well put it where it belongs........anyway, the whole thing got out of hand and I dusted the whole room with a slightly damp cloth from wiping up the spilled water.
    I need a lid for my glass!!!

Blog Entries
    I have a place for most everything, except fat quarters that are overflowing their bins. At the end of a project I put everything away. Any leftovers that are small are cut Bonnie Hunter style into squares, strips. That really saves time and helps the scrap pile.

Definitely not often enough! One issue I know I have is not putting everything in a home after a shopping trip.

Not often enough. I try to keep things somewhat picked up but I can't be neat And creative at the same time.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-15-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Not as often as I should......any offers to help.

Usually after every project, machines get cleaned, fabric scraps get put away all that good stuff.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    ďIf you canít see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesnít exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,Ē .......Greg Biornstad

I am still figuring out the best way to store my fabric. I kind of like storing it with a project. I have a Halloween quilt in the works and now that I have to go to that bin for orange.

I have been working on tidying my area a bit each time and it makes it more inviting. Right now I have a lot of fabric pulled out because I am looking for certain colors.

I am not yet committed to a method for scraps but I am working on keeping them sorted by color and if strips they go into a separate area for a scrappy stripy quilt. I do like having 2.5 inch strips but I also like applique so I don’t want to chop it all up.

I enjoy seeing what you all write. Murphy224, your story of how your spilt water created a dusting episode is the kind of thing that happens to me. I hope it made you feel happier with the result.

I’m only tidy when I sew. The rest of my life is messy chaos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2