Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How often do you tidy your sewing area

How often do you tidy your sewing area

Do you take a few minutes everyday to tidy up?

Any tips you have on how to keep things neat as you go will be appreciated.

The only thing I do well is keep my rulers and tools in one area. I also make sure to always throw away scraps and not on the floor. What happens is I have fabric I set aside while working on a project in case I want to use it again. If I am working on several things this gets a little overwhelming.

I try to keep things out so I see them and don’t forget and then before you know it, it is untidy. Yikes!

I do a good clean up and put away after every project. Always try to keep threads, pins, etc up off the floor as I have pets that wander in the sewing room.

I tidy up each day, it only takes a few minutes. I can't work or concentrate if things are messy. I keep my projects in bins. Each bin has all the fabric I am using for it. leftover fabric stays in the bin til the flimsy is complete and binding is cut, at that point i return the leftover fabric to either be cut down or returned to stash (depending on the size). I also don't leave out more than 2 projects at a time.

When I start a project I place all the fabric, pattern, any notes about the project and thread in a small tote. It all stays in that tote until project is finished. If I change projects everything goes back into that tote, even scraps, until I get back to that project. that way if first projects in my way, one move is all it takes and everything stays together

It depends on what I am doing for the day. For the most part, if I am in the middle of a project, then I leave everything out so I can start up the next day. If I know that I am not going to be able to sew for the next few days or more, then I put away things like scissors and rulers. Clean up the cutting and ironing area but the project still is out so I can see it. Sometimes for me - out of sight, is out of mind.
    I have a terrible habit of starting something new before finishing what I am working on. I have a cleaning lady that comes every 4 weeks so most everything is put away then. She only vacuums the room - but I have to get the ironing board and cutting table out of the way along with the machines I have open for use.

I tidy up the place only when I finish a project... but sometimes the project is to complete several WIPs. I like to make a bunch of tops at one time and then do the sandwiching on all of them and then finish them all up, so it may be a while between major cleaning. The feeling of accomplishment is wonderful when I see 5-8 quilts all done at one time!

BTW, they are all baby quilts for donation!

I tidy up every day, I can’t work or concentrate if my room is a mess, I also do a good clean before I start a new project and take a lint brush to my design wall to get off all the strings after each project. I’m a bit of a neat nik, and believe that there is a place for everything and everything has its place. I’m also one that can only work on one project at a time; I guess my brain only functions at a certain level and is not good at multitasking!
    Lisa

My quick answer is "never often enough"! But in reality, I clean up when the "mess and chaos" begins to annoy me or I cannot find that one item I need, like a particular ruler. Over time, I have found that a periodic 5 minute clean up makes a nice difference and I spend less time searching for something that is hiding under a pile of "stuff".

I have to admit, I'm like WMUTeach.

With now having a little Yorky dog and a rescued cat, I'm picking up more than usual. The dog never bothers anything but does lay at my feet, so I'm careful about pins/needles. The cat is another question. He's only been here a week, but is full grown and if he can hop up on couches and beds I know he can get to the ironing board and sewing table. I just have to be more careful and a little more attentive to what is laying around.

I tidy up every evening now. Even so far as to put away my cutting mat and cover my machines. My sewing 'room' is also the lower level family room... which is where our 2 cats spend their nights. I don't want cat hair, or the occasional hairball incident to take place on my sewing equipment. It only takes a few moments to pull things out, and the family room looks better on days I'm not sewing. As far as keeping fabrics for projects out...use shoebox bins with lids. They stack easily and keep things contained.

It stays pretty neat. I don’t have everything I own in my small room - some of it is on shelves in the basement. I don’t have much of a stash. I like to work on one project at a time at home. I sew at the local shop once a week and that’s where most of the piecing gets done. Mostly at home I like to FMQ on my Brother PQ1500. This is the first time I’ve had a room of my own - the last 3 years since we moved here. I don’t sew every day. My mojo comes and goes and I don’t worry about it. It’s a fun hobby for me
    Alyce

I put away rulers and whatever is laying on my cutting table pretty much every day, but I only do a big clean up at the end of every project. If I'm working on more than one thing, I'll stuff all the pieces of the easier-to-stuff project into a bag every day to keep them together.

Watson

Power Poster
    I tidy up each night but don’t put anything away when I am working on a project. After a project is done, I clean everything up and put everything away.

At the end of the day, I straighten what's on my cutting table, throw the small scraps away, get things ready for what I want to do the next day. After I'm to the point of putting it onto the quilt frame, I'll actually vacumn the floors so when it comes off and I'm trimming and adding the binding I don't have to worry about little thread snips attaching themselves to the quilt as its usually a large one so dragging on the floor as I glue my binding on.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

As Popeye says, “till I can’t stands no more!”

Blog Entries
    I'm with zozee! But I do have a question...how many of the previous respondents that clean upreligiously are retired with no other "work" commitments. It seems I squeeze sewing time in between work, my off the farm PT job and my on farm PT job.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

DJ
    oksewglad ~ You have a point about being retired; however, I am retired and still have a problem keeping the studio tidy. Two major issues for me are not having enough space left to put everything (yes, I need to purge), and another tidying issue I have is that once I start and get the first space cleared off, I get inspired to start something else, and off I go! One year, I resolved to tidy up after every project and it helped tremendously. Apparently it didn't become enough of a habit though. I can barely walk through the studio at the moment, and not a clean surface in the room, including the floor! Bad DJ!

I have to clean up daily as my sewing room was turned into a bedroom when my daughter and 3 granddaughters moved in. They have been here for 8 years but now looking to buying a condo. I am pretty anxious to get my fabrics out of storage and organized. I sew in the dining room so cleaning up before preparing a meal is a must. But...my dh and myself gave her and her daughters a safe place to live for awhile.

There is an old saying which goes ....a place for everything and everything in its place. I would love to have all my sewing stuff nicely arranged, but I do not have a place for everything. So....I have a tendency to move things from one table to another. When I need that table I have to push stuff aside or place it on a chair some other holding area.

I am in a constant sate of cleanup so someday I might get some more shelves....
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    oksewglad ~ You have a point about being retired; however, I am retired and still have a problem keeping the studio tidy. Two major issues for me are not having enough space left to put everything (yes, I need to purge), and another tidying issue I have is that once I start and get the first space cleared off, I get inspired to start something else, and off I go! One year, I resolved to tidy up after every project and it helped tremendously. Apparently it didn't become enough of a habit though. I can barely walk through the studio at the moment, and not a clean surface in the room, including the floor! Bad DJ!
    Ha Ha...sounds like we are birds of a feather!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    My quick answer is "never often enough"! But in reality, I clean up when the "mess and chaos" begins to annoy me or I cannot find that one item I need, like a particular ruler. Over time, I have found that a periodic 5 minute clean up makes a nice difference and I spend less time searching for something that is hiding under a pile of "stuff".
    My thoughts exactly.

I'm in the "not often enough!" group. I fact I think I'll take 10 minutes and clean off my cutting table right now...or maybe later...see what I mean?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Tidy?! That's a four-letter word! : )

I should tidy much more often than I do - I have workspace in my kitchen area and try to contain the chaos to one half of the kitchen island or on my sewing machine table. I am bad about putting things away as I go but even 5 minutes makes a huge difference (though sometimes I can't recall where I put an item or forget about a project if I can't see it regularly).

I'm being much more careful now that we have two kittens that love to hop up and see what kind of "toys" they can find. The male also likes climbing my design wall - Yikes!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-28-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

I'm terrible at cleaning up! And it doesn't serve me at all since I can never find what I need. You'd think I'd learn by now.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast