Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ideal quilting area?

My ideal space would be a large bonus room over the garage with lots of skylights... but I have a spare bedroom and I make the most of it!

I'm a very messy quilter so a shared family space wouldn't be ideal for me. I love just leaving my projects as they are and knowing that they won't need to be put away before I get back to them. I also enjoy having a separate space to retreat to so if I want to listen to music, an audio book or just enjoy some quiet. My room is on the main floor and I like that quite well. It could be bigger, but I also think I would just keep filling up more space with more stuff so it's good to have a limit!

I also have my sewing room in the basement and love it. Lots of lights and I painted it a yellow to brighten it up. I save my hand stitching (attaching binding etc) to do in the evenings while watching TV with DH. We have stereo speakers in my room so I have music. I love the fact I can turn off the light and shut the door when done without having to put everything away. Good luck on finding the "perfect" house. Keep us informed on what you find!
    Sophie2

I think you can always use a larger sewing room no matter what the size is we tend to fill them up. I have a small bedroom and it could be a little larger or at least have more closet space. I think a lot of it is in the way you set it up. go to my blog at the end of this post and take a look at the cutting table that I found on a blog . it is soooooo cool! I am in the process of installing one half that size now. if you think creatively you will be happy no matter where you are. unless you are young I wouldn't advise an attic sewing room unless of course you want to run up and down stairs all day long. I like being on the same level as the rest of the house. that way if I am in the middle of doing laundry ect. I don't have to wear myself out running back and fourth. I work durring the week so have to be a multi tasker. you also need to know if you plan on having a long arm quilting machine. if that is a possiblilty you will definately need a large sewing room. If you use a family room "does it have a door where you can close it off from company when you don't feel like cleaning up your fabric mess? if so either one would work. I have a bedroom off my living room without a door and I am constantly having to straighten it up for company. If hubby is going to be in there too maybe the family room would be a better option. good luck with whatever you decide.
    http://ncfabricjunkie.blogspot.com

I have the 2nd largest bedroom and its around 12 x 16, with a decent sized closet. I've had to get quite creative in designing my storage space, cabinets, etc. That's ok with me, as I now have a very useable space, thanks to DH and some ingenuity. You can make a smaller space work very well, but I'd rather be in the family room, just to be closer to DH. The problem with sharing a room is that hubby will want to hear TV, and with a sewing machine running, its difficult. So I keep things 'as is' for this reason. Plus, I can close the door on the mess when I'm in the middle of a project.

We have a one level ranch home so my sewing room is in the basement. I miss not having alot of natural light but I love the fact that it is in an area that no one sees. The cement floor is easy to keep clean and needles/pins are easy to find.
    My DH sewing machine repair business is in the other half of the basement so we can talk to each other. We spend so much time down there that we sometimes think we should take in a boarder for the main level. (not!) The only thing I miss is the natural light.

We live in the top of our nephew's barn! We are in a one bedroom, almost 1000 sq ft apartment that has been their guest quarters. Before I had sewn in the great room of our cabin, using the dinning table as my work space and the guest bedroom walk-in closet and dresser for storage. After moving the wife the a craft room right here across the hall? WOW!
    I didn't buy new new matching things, but went the good will way also.

I really like my 4 fold down roll away tables (3'x5' open) that I can put into different configurations for cutting, piecing, sewing, and doing my own quilting. I also use the pingpong table for laying out "colors". The family spent a day up there re-organizing and left me a 3' by 6' table on which I have a lot of sorted boxes of templates, backing materials, rolls of paper, etc. Underneath I have packaged rolls of batting and bins with batting leftovers, which I use for appliques, etc., and at the end I even have a full roll of Warm and Natural. There are two big dressers, one with 4 drawers that are each the depth of 2 regular drawers which holds "patterns" of past quilts and other stuff; the other dresser holds my tools and threads and some beautiful ethnic clothes from our years in Asia. I have a 4'x8'x20"deep cabinet which houses most of my stash, along with 2 pastic 5 drawer stacks, sorted by color, of less than fat quarter size on which are boxes of sorted "strings" and "blocks", plus, on a shelf that runs above the windows that DH put up for me) about 14 matching boxes (found in a dump, all clean and waiting for me) that are labeled according to the pictorials on the fabrics, so that I can get already cut up baby prints, animal prints, little kid prints quickly; they also hold other fabrics that have some specific theme. Those boxes have mailing tape closures for opening and resealing I have two insultation boards with an old fitted sheet over them for my design area. I have a 8"x24" metal shelf that holds my quilting books and magazines. My washer and dryer are in an alcove nearby, ironing board near by tables. I use all these spaces almost every day.

The washer/dryer area is 12.5' x 12.5' (has a deep sink which I use for checking color fasness and put my fabrics in hot water for shrinking... love it!). One double window there; the wall opposite has metal shelves with basketry things that are not mine. The main part of the room is about 24' x 20' + 5' more feet when I'm using all of the ping pong table. The two outside walls are fully lined with the dressers, cabinet, plastic drawers, bookcase, etc. If it were a single room, w/o the washing area I'd really want it at least 24'x24' I love having 5 windows in my part of the room, but I'm careful about letting sun get onto my design wall or fabrics left out on tables. There are 4 more double windows on the other side and end of the room so I can really have the place open and fresh on hot summer days.

The kids are older, doing their own thing and the mama is concentrating on tri-athalongs so the family crafts have cut down or are in the house more, so this is pretty much "my" space.

If you do get a room above a garage, or even upstairs think about having railings on both sides! You don't want to have to figure out which arm to empty if you step on a toy or trip on fabric! Which brings us to the fact that your avatar has two very young people in it. If you plan to have a family that will make a huge difference in the configuration of your sewing space!!! You'll want a crib or a play area near by, and baby monitors when they aren't right there. I trained my kids to be pin hunters when they were just todlers, first showing them how sharp pins are and how important it was to NOT have them on the floor. They were so proud to help! Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sierra; 03-12-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    You can never have to much space but you dont want to have to put thing away every time you sew you will spend more time cleaning than sewing, told with experience haha

Quote Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
    This is a pic of one I have seen online that I told him I want one like:

Attachment 400349
    I want one too!
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Blog Entries
    I personally wouldn't want my quilting room in the family room, I wouldn't want people to see the mess that I make (and I can make a mess) and I don't want all of my stuff around (I have little kids). I have my sewing room in a retreat room off of our master bedroom. Ideally one day I will steal the bonus room which is twice the size or more of my current room, nevertheless I am comfortable in my current room of 11 by 14, albeit I might have to find extra storage somewhere.

cma
    for 22 years I had 900 sq feet on the lower walk out basement that was so wonderful! All mine. Just close the door upstairs and you wouldn't know it was there. Am currently using the family room in a rental and it works out but there is no way to close off the mess when creating the next masterpiece. Ha! Will be building a new home for myself soon. Widow. It will include a very large studio for all my stuff. Can't wait. I prefer to have limited access to my studio from family and grandkids.

Blog Entries
    I think personality makes a huge difference in whether or not people want to be close to the rest of the family or in their own private space.

Also whether or not you work outside the home, whether paid or volunteer work comes into play as well. I work with the public all day 5 days a week. My other job I only work with one or two people. By the time I get home I am ready for my own space. I do keep my one day a week I have off for my family and we eat dinner together each night at the dining room table.

Having said that I do have a basement sewing room (with one NW window) it is not quite 10x11, and not nearly big enough. The ironing board is in the adjacent family room. There is fabric stacked in totes behind the sofa there too.

I could easily use twice the space.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I moved into my daughter's bedroom when she moved out. It's a tight squeeze since I quilt and make jewelry.
    I prefer to close the door and work in peace and quiet, but my husband's office is next to my workspace.
    I do handwork while we watch TV. I would suggest you make sure you have good light, both natural aand artificial.
    The best part for me is being able to leave the sewing machine and work in progress out all the time, after years of using the dining room. Have fun!

I turned our formal living room (who uses those anyway?) into my sewing room. I added 1 bookshelf and store all my scrapbooking supplies there, and the rest of the room is for sewing. Works for me!
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

we live in an old farm house and I sew downstairs in the living room-the dining room is now our living room-both rooms are equal size.we did not need a dining room.the longarm is in 1 bedroom upstairs and my fabric is in another bedroom.the grands have a room with a futon and a tv and my honey has a man cave .my hobby takes up 3 rooms-I so wish it was all one large studio-but this works fine.allow way more room than you think you need-you will fill it quickly
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    A loft sounds really good to me, but I'm too old and decrepit for the stairs anymore.. Fortunately, my bedroom is huge, so one end is my sewing room and the other is my bedroom.. It's convenient! And my sweet hubbie is always in calling range when I need his help.. He has been my darling for 42 years and I am so very blest to have him!

My sewing room is upstairs! We may be downsizing in the next couple years so I have been giving a lot of thought. What do I want out of it. Not upstairs is the one thing I can say. I am constantly having to run up and down the stairs. For everything. My dh will be downstairs and I up, so I got to run down to see what he wants or is saying. Lord know, he isn't coming up to me!

Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    Everybody's needs are so different -- I have a large room over the attached garage that works for me. I don't quilt all that much, but I certainly love it and have lots of supplies. After living with this set up for 2 years, I think I would prefer being on the first level of the house. It's just my husband and I, and he spends most of the day out of the house at his workshop, but in the evenings he is in his loft which is just outside my sewing room door. The biggest negative for me is if I'm sewing upstairs during the day, I can't hear when someone comes to the door (which isn't very often, but still). I think the fact that it seems a little secluded keeps me from spending as much time there as I'd really like.

As for your other questions, I prefer a room with a door I can close if it's a mess. As big as possible. I think a family room if it's big and has a door. Like others have said, the bigger the better.

Good luck with your search. We moved here 2 1/2 years ago and it was such fun looking at houses and thinking which room would be mine. Have fun on your search!
    Just a suggestion for you - my sewing studio is in our well lit walk out basement level, which I love but I couldn't hear the doorbell down there. We found a plug-in doorbell unit that somehow gets connected to the main doorbell upstairs, and now I can hear it. We got it at the local home improvement store and it wasn't expensive. DH hooked it up and it only took a few minutes. Plus you can plug this in anywhere, even outside in the backyard and it will ring when the main doorbell does.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    Well, it seems our "house" has been taken over by fabric and machines.

I do have a small "sewing room" that is basically fabric storage (and freezer and all other crafty items). I had the sewing machine and embroidery machine in there but since my DH is only home a couple days a week I didn't want to be away from him. Now that my Dad lives with us also and likes to "help" the sewing room is out of the question (besides it's out of hand now anyway and needs cleaning badly).

My sewing machine is on our dining room table. The embroidery machine is in the front room on an extra dining room table. Our couch is history because last May, DH decided I needed a long arm so that is now also in the front room.

Someday (when our last remodel gets paid off) we'll add a large rectangular room that will be for just sewing/crafting with loads of wall space for design wall and shelving. I'd love to have 2 workstations back to back so I don't have to sew facing a wall. Desk space for the laptop will be a must too.

Good luck and have fun
    add a mirror in front of machine.

Lucky you! I have a 300+ square room upstairs that was a family room in the original layout of the house. It has two closets in it. Before my kids moved out it was used as a bedroom (usually for several people at a time). It is away from the main area of the house. This is plenty of room for me and it also includes my small office area. I think it would accommodate a long arm too.

I'm fine with it being upstairs, I'm an exercise physiologist so I like that I have to climb steps sometimes. If I had knee problems I wouldn't be as happy with that.

It is really great having everything in one room. Makes sewing pretty efficient. I have an L Shaped sewing area and a separate cutting/ironing table. I like that I have to get up and stand at the ironing table. It forces me to get out of a sitting position occasionally and I'm less stiff at the end of my sewing session. When One of my sons comes home and he sews with me. He uses part of the L with my old singer sewing machine for his projects and that works out well.

This is MY room, so no sharing. My husband comes in to see what I"m doing but that's not where we spend time together. The noise from the sewing machine would probably prevent the room from being a good tv room. When I sew I listen to books on tape and/or netflix and I use headphones when I'm using my sewing machine. I do not have an especially loud sewing machine.

The closets are wonderful. My stash is pretty well organized but not always the neatest so it's nice to be able to pull the curtain door closed. I have a pegboard up which is very, very handy.

If I had kids still at home I would want my sewing machine more in the main area of the house. I've found its always great to be available to kids. Teenagers talk to you at the oddest times and they need you when they need you. One of my would always come lay on the bed with me right before I wanted to go to sleep. So having a private room wouldn't have worked for me a few years ago.

I used this book when I set up my quilting room and it really helped with ergonomics and things like that. You can get it used, very cheaply.
    Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space: Sewing-Room Makeovers for Any Space and Any Budget

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2