Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Long term storage for quilts

Long term storage for quilts

I am moving in a week and will be living in my RV inside a huge workshop we built last year while my home is being built. I had to come up with a way to move and store quilts for about 6 mos. I found this canvas storage duffle on wheels that was designed for storing patio furniture cushions during the winter. It worked out fabulously. I did a lot of research on recommendations and some suggestions from board members. The duffle is lined with unbleached muslin. Each quilt is folded on the bias and muslin is separating each one so there are very few folds to contend with later. This is coming with us in my husband's enclosed truck and immediately moved into our workshop so I'll be able to access it, if needed. All of my quilts fit!! Probably have room for a couple more if I had anymore. Lol... For my heirloom quilts, I ended up using the cardboard center of the 40yd batting rolls and rolled them on the cardboard....then I placed them inside tote. I didn't count but I think there are 15-20 quilts in this. So relieved this worked out...and thought I'd share. I bought the duffle from an on-line catalog company but they no longer sell them...sorry...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    looks like a great solution... moving and building are difficult
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Wow! You are with it. Just make sure there is no moisture or Humidity to make them mold. I just quilted a 90 yr. old quilt and had it in a plastic pillow cover, and just went in there and took it out. It'll go into a pillow case and up on a shelf. I would be afraid of the cardboard. If it was acid free, but I'll bet it isn't. You are a perfect quilter and I would be afraid to put them near acid stuff very long. A Museum uses acid free everything to keep quilts and clothing. Barny
    Last edited by barny; 05-11-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks, barny..... We should be good with "moisture" issue. The farm next door (a few acres away) offered her guest bedroom to spread them out on a bed if I wanted...which was so sweet of her. I'll be checking them regularly and will be removing the cardboard when I arrive and hanging heirloom quilts in RV closet. Our workshop is a steel building heavily insulated walls and ceiling. I think the hottest it got last summer inside was 78.. I think I covered all the bases and have back-up plans. Fingers crossed because I have fretted over this enough..lol...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Very clever solution!

Blog Entries
    Good luck with your move and your soon to be new home.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Another item checked off your list and a great idea. Good luck with the process..finally!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Sounds like the perfect solution to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Teen, good luck with your new home. You must be so excited!
    Keep the pictures coming!!! I love your quilts.

Blog Entries
    Oh that is nice. i have bags from Nancy's Notions but they don't hold that much!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Great idea! Good luck with your home build!

~ C

Teen, that's a neat bag you found! Glad you found such a great solution. Best to you on your move, and building of the new house.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!