Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Long Term storage for needles and shuttles >

Long Term storage for needles and shuttles

Long Term storage for needles and shuttles

Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 AM

Default Long Term storage for needles and shuttles

for fun, this AM I was looking through a few of the tubes and stuff in the Boye Display case, most of the shuttles don't have the right caps on them, but most of the needles have caps stuck tight, so I'm hopeful those were not re-arranged.

I looked at the bobbins, and most of them are mixed up too - pulled out one clip and it had three different sized bobbins on it.

I want to have one display case that has all the tubes in it - but I don't need all the tubes filled. Besides, it seems a lot gets rusty stored that way, so I want to come up with another way to store the shuttles and needles so they won't corrode. I have all those silverware trays, but I don't know if anti-tarnish fabric would help with anti-rust issues.

I do have a vacuum sealer with the attachment for doing jars, so I can put them in canning jars and seal them up. I'd stick them into paper so the needles would stay separated and easier to identify - I'd label the paper that was inside the jars.

Any ideas for the best long term storage? I intend to keep a supply for each machine in the collection and want to make sure I don't have a pile of rust 15 years down the road.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 AM

I think getting them clean and then vacuum sealing makes good sense. It's exposure to moisture that causes the rust, and this way they would stay dry. Good on you for thinking ahead!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

I save those little moisture packets that come with medicine bottles. Not sure where to buy them bu t when I find out I'm getting as many as possible. I use them when I put my needles in the larger script bottles and stick a couple packets in to take care of any moisture.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:43 AM

tessagin, your idea with the moisture packets sounds like a wonderful idea. I am going to start saving them.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Found a video where you can make your own packets. Uses a cat litter with pure silica. On YouTube.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Do you have many rusted Boye needles? The wooden Boye tubes seem to have excellent moisture resistance, I don't find many Boye needles with rust and who knows what kind of poor storage they been through in their lifetime. Missing caps I'd think would make them more rust prone.

I have a method for cleaning needle rust spots involving a bench grinder with wirewheel and good watchmakers / jewelers pin vise. Storing rusty needles might be like the rotten apple in the bunch. I store my needles in the house and they seem to keep well.

Jon
Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Cathy,

I use a product called "Industrial PCL" made by Break Free. I wipe my firearms down with that and they do not rust. I've never had the wherewithal to buy a safe so they are stored in their gun cases. A no no according to most folks.

For storage of rustables that is what I'd use and do use.

It's not easy to find, the last time I bought some I had to go directly to Break Free.

Joe
Old 04-08-2015, 01:33 PM

I suppose I could go scrape some cosmoline off one of the mosins. . . nah, that stuff is NASTY.

Kroil is another product that is a rust inhibitor. Really great if you need to have something out in the open for a while and don't want any rust forming. DH learned about that working with Siemens Electric- replacing generators in an electric plant. He was operating the crane. They had to take the roof off the building to get them in and out.

They wanted to be extra careful nothing got any rust, so they drenched the parts with this.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:12 PM

Wonder if gunkiness down the road would be a problem with spray on rust inhibitor for needles? I have gotten vintage needles with moisture strips that faired well. Foil and waxpaper also seem to do well. Plain paper wrapped packs seem to be most rust prone like on the Singer 3 packs.

Jon
Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM

I just opened a pack of Organ needles that has to be decades old and they are still as shiny as when they were made. I am amazed.