Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Looking for an easy DIY design wall >

Looking for an easy DIY design wall

Looking for an easy DIY design wall

Old 02-24-2023, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I had my foam board cut to size before bringing it home. Finally goy it put up after waiting close to 5 years to do so. I found online a flannel in a 3yd x 3yd size so 108x108. I'm in the basement with low ceiling rafters plus a baseboard heater at the bottom so could only make it 70"H x 96"W, the size of 2 - 48"x96" foam boards. The cutoffs were given to my sister. I used 505 spray to adhere the flannel over the boards. I cut it 2" more all around to go around the edges and tuck it behind. My foam board was 1.5" thick. Sorry no photo of it as my PC is in the shop right now.

When I brought it home, I had them strap it on top but loosely so not to damage it. It sat in my garage for nearly 5 years and never got damaged which to me was a miracle.
Thank you. I'll consider that.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Polar fleece works well as a design wall.
Simplicity, can be it pinned or taped to the wall.

Mine is polar fleece, stapled to homosote, and then that is screwed to the wall.
Total size is 11'x8'

Also did the same with fleece over corrugated plastic.
I have multiple sizes from 15" square to 24" and onwards up to the full 4'x8' corrugated.
These slide nicely behind a piece of furniture when not being used. Or into the back of a closet.

Fleece holds the blocks well with out pinning. I've even had full flimsy's on my large design wall with no pins, But, I still like the ability to pin something, to be sure it does not move, or because I am at the edge and the block goes beyond. Then I can!

Really depends on what size you want and what restrictions you have in your sewing room.
You can never have enough design walls!
Where did you get the corrugated plastic?
Old 02-24-2023, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I've tried fleece and batting as design wall but nothing beats the heavyweight flannel backed tablecloths I've taped to the wall. The other just didn't' hold.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
How much room do you have? I don't have a lot, so I taped two foam core poster boards together, covered them with flannel, and hung them on a nail in the room. Not fancy at all. When I need more than my 2' x 5' space allows, I lay everything out on a double bed in my guest room. It's a bit awkward but works for me in a small space.
I have a 9’ by 12’ space with pretty high ceilings. I do have a queen size guest bed for larger projects.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:25 AM

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I'm thinking of having two skinny design walls on either side of the window that's on the only exterior wall. Which would do double duty. The room gets a lot of sun so they would be somewhat protected from that. It would look nice when you enter the room. And it would use a potentially awkward space.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Where did you get the corrugated plastic?
Lots2Do ... Sorry that I have been so long getting back to you, but it seems the auto-notice, didn't auto and I just saw your query a few minutes ago.

Corrugated plastic can usually be purchased at Home Depot, or similar stores. Also, have seen it at Dollar Stores, in bristol board size pieces. Another source would be through a sign shop. You could get full size sheets, or they may sell you off-cuts at a very reasonable price. Just know what min/max sizes will work for you.

Or if you are lucky enough to have access to old signage, it could be totally free!! It really doesn't matter if it has advertising on it, as you are going to cover it with fleece or whatever you choose.

Sounds like you have found a good unused space that can work for you. Another spot that some have used are the backside of the door, or closet doors. Some have even used sliding closet doors. Just need to make sure they are separated enough to function, but for sure the outer door would provide space.

Good Luck ...... once you have one design wall, you'll be sure to have more!

Old 03-05-2023, 02:37 PM

Sounds like a good option to have it delivered to you or cut down to fit in your car.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:18 PM

In my last house I used 1 1/2" foam insulation board covered with flannel. Just moved to a new house and my current vehicle wouldn't handle the large foam sheets. At my local Lowes store I found packages if 3/4" foam 13 5/8" x 48", 6 sheets per pack. I bought 3 packs. Used Silicon to attach 16 sheets to wall. I now have an 8x8' design wall, again covered by flannel.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:30 AM

Thank you for sharing your ideas. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. Life got in the way! But now things are back to normal - well as normal as life can be!
Old 09-12-2023, 02:34 AM

I don't have wall space so got a portable photo backdrop frame and hung a dollar store fuzzy-backed tablecloth from it. I like how I can move it around - even into my driveway if needed - for a design wall or taking photos of finished quilts.

I know your post is from last winter and hope you found something that worked for you!