Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lots of fabric organization

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by just joan View Post
    Unbelievable! Who has that much stash? It's mind boggling.
    I guess I won't organize mine like that because I don't want to know how much I really have - LOL, or don't want the husband to know.

that's wonderful, but I couldn't afford all the containers and buy fabric, too!

My fabric storage

My fabric is stored in the garage in plastic bins. I like to be able to find things easily so it is sorted by color, theme, collection, etc. It is not nearly as neat as it could be but works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

A woman after my own heart. I wonder where she got the deep shelves. I have some, but must put bins sideways.

i look at this level of organization, and i drool. i'm "cut of a different cloth", though. i put things away in "project bags" (really just ziplock baggies) with the pattern or magazine in with them, so i don't forget. and the rest of the fabric languishes wherever i can find room. now that i've retired, i am going to try to achieve some kind of system beyond what i have, but i'm cursed with a visual/tactile brain. if i put things away too well, it's as though they disappear. supplies out of sight mean "i'm done" with this, and it is removed from my thinking, completely. it's gotten worse since a head/brain surgery 4 years ago. if i don't see it, it doesn't exist. so, the struggle goes on. i have to be able to see through the sides of a bin, i have to be able to touch the fabric for it to become something. any ideas?
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

She has more fabric on one shelf than I own. I purchase for each project. When I build enough leftover scraps, I make a scrap quilt. I would have a panic attack about investing that much money just in shelving, much less containers and fabrics.

she has more invested in tubs than I have invested in fabric. And I've been quilting for 40 years.

I showed the pictures from her blog to my husband and said "Don't you EVER fuss about my little bit of fabric again!" (In a joking manner, of course!) Wow, what a stash! Definitely something to strive toward - but not today.

She may enjoying organizing more than sewing. Some days I am like that, but I would go bonkers with that much stuff, no matter HOW organized! She's got a lot of great tips, though.

wow! my niece if she were a quilter would be exactly like that she is a great organizer and neat you look in her closet she even has the color of the hangers all in a row reds, blues whites she didn't get it from me or her mom lol! (my sister)

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing...

After keeping up with all that organization... does she really quilt!

Check out her blog. She does incredible appliqué and hand quilting.

interesting but I still like shelves for large pieces and plastic drawers for smaller pieces.I do not break mine down in such detail as she does either-I guess I may be a little lazy with the sorting of the small pieces.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Yikes!! I'd have to get a home equity loan just to buy all the plastic tubs and shelving! How I miss a basement for storage...

I tried her way on a smaller scale, but I don't have the room to do what she does. We moved a couple of months ago and my husband and son just about had heart attacks when they saw all the tiny tubs! It is nice tho to be able to have things separated, I wish I had the room to do more.
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Blog Entries
    way too much

Blog Entries
    Too expensive for me to go that route, I bought an old wooden chest of drawers at a yard sale for $5 and keep all my stuff in there.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

I would never get through that much fabric in my lifetime. I have found that I get bored with the older fabrics. I buy something new because it's a new design that I really love. So, I only buy new fabric if I really love it! So far it's just in two lawyers bookcases with glass fronts beautifully flanking the living room TV and in my laundry room linen closet. That's more than enough for me. I get more that I don't have a place for, I must sew it up or get rid of it another way.

Oh wow! Wish I had that much space.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
    When does she have time to actually sew?
    That is exactly what popped into my mind... when can she possibly sew?

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    I have been trying to organize for the last couple of weeks. I feel like I've barely started. She can come to my house and help me out any time she wants!
    Haha...I started to organize my stuff but got side tracked. I ripped out the old elastic in some pants, sewed up a tear in a sweater, threw some old mail away, then got out of there and came back to the computer to look at quilts and stuff. Didn't get a lot done, but don't they say..."it's the thought that counts"?

Oh my goodness. That is organization!!!
    KSue

Amazing! With soooo much fabric it is easy to see why she needs to do this. I bet she can lay her hands on anything at anytime!
    Bev

WOW -- that is a lot of fabric. When we move, I may have to do something like that in the garage for my overflow (my new house does not have as many hidey holes as my current place does). Love those Costco bins.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2