Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
My mission today - My sewing nook >

My mission today - My sewing nook

My mission today - My sewing nook

Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM

Default My mission today - My sewing nook

I am going thru things in my house in preparation of moving this year. I could not get in the closet in my office/sewing room to organize because of the stacks of fabric and misc stuff. So I organized my sewing stuff for ease of packing and keeping myself organized when creativity is flowing...lol! So, I commandeered a bookcase my DH made when he was 13 years old and held NASCAR memoriablia. Packed NASCAR stuff for moving...and voila! Temporary fabric organizing....(using mini bolt holders) My new home is being built and will have my own sewing studio. The office will have its own room too! So excited. Now I can get in closet and sift thru and pack... I still have a stack of patriotic fabric to organize but I'll be getting this stuff in the next month so I'll organize when I'm done with it.
Pictures:

-Repurposed bookcase w/glass doors (woohoo!) and my sewing supplies cabinet. The Camden Bowl on top of bookcase hold FQ's. Other box holds my appliqué supplies/tools
- Storage for 2 1/2" strips, misc binding from past quilts. Applique projects, Big box is my Baltimore Album project box.
- I keep my quilt collections for future quilts that I will work on in canvas tote. Keeps me motivated.
- large fabric pieces (under 1yrd but bigger than FQ) stored in sewing cabinet
- Closet: Containers contain scraps, ziplock bagged by color.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 01-13-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:31 PM

It looks awesome! You Go girl!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 PM

When we moved, I ripped an old sheet in 3” strips and wrapped them around each box, crossed the sheet strip under the box and brought it to the top, then tied it in a knot. Like a ribbon on a gift, if you see my meaning. I could carry a box in each hand this way and nothing could spill out if dropped. This method will work on totes too.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 PM

Great idea!! I bought some water proof canvas bags with handles for most of my fabric but some will need boxing. These precious bags and boxes will be going in my truck....not the movers. Lol!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Looks great! I bet you're excited about your new build!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 AM

Yoo-hoo...wanna come organize my room now? I think it feels great when you get your room tidy and organized, it helps get those creative juices flowing. Have fun.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Nice sewing space... How exciting to have a new house underway!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:19 AM

Good organization.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 AM

Aah, love to see tidy spaces — especially sewing rooms that are a challenge to put in order after a project (or 7). I file my fabrics in drawers like you do, unless they’re larger yardage. Good job. Moving is definitely the best incentive to be ruthless about what to keep. It would have to rank a 7 or higher on a scale of 1-10 for me to lug it or Pay to lug it from pillar to post. Keep up the momentum . Keep taking before and after pictures to see and show us results of progress. Little by little it will get done!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:29 PM

Looking good! And Whooo Hoooo on getting both a dedicated sewing studio and a separate office in your new home!!

Rob