Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My mission today - My sewing nook

My mission today - My sewing nook

I am going thru things in my house in preparation of moving this year. I could not get in the closet in my office/sewing room to organize because of the stacks of fabric and misc stuff. So I organized my sewing stuff for ease of packing and keeping myself organized when creativity is flowing...lol! So, I commandeered a bookcase my DH made when he was 13 years old and held NASCAR memoriablia. Packed NASCAR stuff for moving...and voila! Temporary fabric organizing....(using mini bolt holders) My new home is being built and will have my own sewing studio. The office will have its own room too! So excited. Now I can get in closet and sift thru and pack... I still have a stack of patriotic fabric to organize but I'll be getting this stuff in the next month so I'll organize when I'm done with it.
    Pictures:

-Repurposed bookcase w/glass doors (woohoo!) and my sewing supplies cabinet. The Camden Bowl on top of bookcase hold FQ's. Other box holds my appliqué supplies/tools
    - Storage for 2 1/2" strips, misc binding from past quilts. Applique projects, Big box is my Baltimore Album project box.
    - I keep my quilt collections for future quilts that I will work on in canvas tote. Keeps me motivated.
    - large fabric pieces (under 1yrd but bigger than FQ) stored in sewing cabinet
    - Closet: Containers contain scraps, ziplock bagged by color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Teen; 01-13-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

It looks awesome! You Go girl!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

When we moved, I ripped an old sheet in 3” strips and wrapped them around each box, crossed the sheet strip under the box and brought it to the top, then tied it in a knot. Like a ribbon on a gift, if you see my meaning. I could carry a box in each hand this way and nothing could spill out if dropped. This method will work on totes too.

Great idea!! I bought some water proof canvas bags with handles for most of my fabric but some will need boxing. These precious bags and boxes will be going in my truck....not the movers. Lol!
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Looks great! I bet you're excited about your new build!!!

Blog Entries
    Yoo-hoo...wanna come organize my room now? I think it feels great when you get your room tidy and organized, it helps get those creative juices flowing. Have fun.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Nice sewing space... How exciting to have a new house underway!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good organization.
    Carol

Aah, love to see tidy spaces — especially sewing rooms that are a challenge to put in order after a project (or 7). I file my fabrics in drawers like you do, unless they’re larger yardage. Good job. Moving is definitely the best incentive to be ruthless about what to keep. It would have to rank a 7 or higher on a scale of 1-10 for me to lug it or Pay to lug it from pillar to post. Keep up the momentum . Keep taking before and after pictures to see and show us results of progress. Little by little it will get done!

Looking good! And Whooo Hoooo on getting both a dedicated sewing studio and a separate office in your new home!!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Great job and I hope your new sewing room will be all you want it to be. I know what a job it is to keep a sewing room cleaned up.

Good job. Great to get a new studio.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Wow you've been busy. Good luck on your move.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Blog Entries
    Where you moving too? New House or New State?
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Both.. I'm moving from Southern California to just outside Boise Idaho. From 2 acres to 6 acres. If all goes to plan, we should be relocated by end of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    When we moved, I ripped an old sheet in 3” strips and wrapped them around each box, crossed the sheet strip under the box and brought it to the top, then tied it in a knot. Like a ribbon on a gift, if you see my meaning. I could carry a box in each hand this way and nothing could spill out if dropped. This method will work on totes too.
    Love this idea. I have so many bins and I had not thought of how this will make them much easier to carry

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I somehow overlooked reading this Quilting Board back in January and almost deleted it today without reading. I am so glad I didn't! I am moving this summer and have a lot of plastic boxes and project boxes that I hated the thought of trying to find boxes for so I had decided to duct tape them together in 3's and 4's, depending on sizes. I didn't really like the idea of the tape because of the adhesive that might be left on the boxes and had decided to wait to the very last minute to tape them. Then I read your suggestion of using strips from an old sheet and thought, "Wow! That is the perfect solution!" Now I can go ahead and tie them together and be done with this part of the packing.
    Thank you so much for posting this. (I did a reply on the QB but wanted to also PM you in case you didn't see it there.)

I'm late to the dance on this post but glad I finally found it. Your organizational ideas are great. I need to do something with my stash and I will remember some of your tips. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see pictures of your new space.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

Amazing! I want to just come to your sewing room and breath in all the organization!! Surely it'll rub off right? Right?? Lolololol.
    StashBuster109 aka Sarah