Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help downsizing/organizing

I am so sorry for your situation. No one should ever lose their home because of an illness!

One great storage solution is to use plastic containers - tall ones or stacked - instead of end tables. A tablecloth on top and no one will know the difference.
    Shirley in Arizona

I'd go with bookshelves and store fabric on it that way -- you'll be surrounded by color and pattern, which should help you adjust to the big changes in your life. Craigslist often has bookshelves very inexpensive, and you can post what you are looking for. I'm glad you're going to continue to quilt - that's the best therapy for us quilters, isn't it?

Praying for your return to health, it is always scary and to loose your home is awful. My DH had had 4 kinds of CA and is almost 81 and going strong, so fight and get better.

So sad to hear this. When we had to downsize I found plastic containers that could fit under our bed. I have six containers of fabric under it. If need be you may have to raise your bed somewhat using blocks of wood or something like this. If you fold your fabrics in half lengthwise, and fold them around your 6 by24 inch ruler then fold in half again it's amazing how much fabric you can get in a box. Then is a YouTube demo on folding fabric if your interested. Good luck.

Sharon, my thoughts and prayers are with you. You could put your bed up higher on blocks or some such and have more room for storage.

I am really sorry about your cancer. One thing I found helpful when downsizing my book collection was to think 20% less Granted, it's not fabric, but the principle is the same. For every 10 books I removed from the shelf, I decided to part with 2. That way I wasn't just rearranging stuff, but actually downsizing as I went. It might work with fabric, too!

I'm so sorry life has dealt you these things. Just keep thinking how to store your fabric. The bookcases are a good idea. If they are tall buy a fold up step stool that sets solidly on the floor. Be sure to open all the way and lock it open. When using bookcases I try to find heavy items of some sort and out those on the bottom shelf. This should help to anchor them, if they can't be attached to the walls.
    I like the suggestion to sew in the bedroom and sleep on a fold out couch. Bed riser to put under the bed to raise it to store plastic bins under it, if you can't give up a bed. Get a twin size, takes up a lot less room.
    With the smaller space you will be able to sew more, less housework. Down sizing everything you really don't want or use before the move is very good also. Good luck, I hope it goes very smooth for you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My prayers are for you. Keep up the good spirit. Smile often. Get lots of hugs and life goes on.

I am sorry to hear of your circumstances. You are really dealing with a lot and I pray for you to have a quick recovery. Make sure your bed is comfy though. A corner of your living room might work for your machine. I am sure you will use all the furniture you have. Suggestions here are great for fabric storage.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Instead of a Murphy bed I would get a sleeper sofa - that way you don't have to move furniture every day to go to bed. The bedroom could be used for your closet and sewing room. One wall could be shelving to store your fabric, with a sliding door that could be used as a design wall. Hope your health issues become non-issues soon.

Sorry to hear of your illness. God must have something planned for you in your apartment. I have used bookcases for years to hold my fabric. I don't have my fabric in tubs they just sit on the shelves. Plus I have some tubs that have other fabric and notions in them. My 10 year old granddaughter was look in them the other day and she was so excited that she found a bag of zippers. She is quite the girl. She has played with my fabric and notions since she was a baby.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry you are going thru all of this, my thoughts are with you. I agree with the tall bookcases, go up!

Blog Entries
    Sharon so sorry to hear of your health situation. Don't know if anyone has suggested these but how about those space bags? You could sort your fabric by season and store the out-of-season fabric in the space bags under a bed or couch.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Sounds like some good ideas. I wonder if the vacuum bags would help for things you probably won't be into as often. With bed risers a lot would fit.

Sharon, you are in my prayers. This thread has given me great ideas for my clutter. I just love the idea of the shelves up high in the room. I'm a cancer and stroke survivor and know that the distraction of downsizing, etc. will keep you strong. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Lots of good suggestions, I use most of them and I also hang larger pieces of fabric on hangers in the closet.

Sorry to hear about your illness, stay positive and joy the smaller space.

Hi Sharon, This is my very first response on this site.. I just signed up today as a new member... We too recently downsized... I now have a small corner in our bedroom for quilting... I got rid of much... but kept all of my quilting stash.... just couldn't part with my collection... I suggest going vertical... using a wall with a cabinet or shelving is a good bet... I like to protect my stash from the light that fades... so, sewing a curtain and placing it up on the shelves with a tension rod is quite cheap and it will stay free of dust. It also keeps the common area looking tidy. My prayers are with you.... Keep quilting and keep your heart and hands busy and happy! God's love, cello mom

pw6
    pack fabric in clear plastic tubs and stack to ceiling in closet, that is how I did mine when I lived in a one bdm, also can stash tubsin bathrm closet and well as put in shelves above washer/dryer.. there is usually a sm closet on the patio as well that you can store items that do not need to be in a protected area.. good luck and May God bless & keep you.

Blog Entries
    Don't get rid of your fabric. That is your favorite thing. Get rid of other stuff. That murphy bed thingy sounds wonderful. And use the bedroom for sewing and storage. If people come to visit and don't like it, too bad.LOL. You could put a place to rest or nap in the sewing room too. don't give up!

pw6
    as to the murphy bed, they have a new one on the market that rolls up into the headboard and has a lot of storage on each side as well...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I really like the comic book boards. The clear under bed containers. One suggested a Murphy bed. I've never slept comfortably on a Murphy bed. And have had several. Some times in an apt. you can go up depending if they allow you to attach any shelves but I would see if I couldn't find maybe an entertainment center that you could surround your tv, dvr (?) with fabric on display on the shelves. make it easy for yourself. Check out the different studio and small areas that are in the organization section here on the board and YouTube.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sending prayers from the Gulf. it's been one year since I've been diagnosed and had a lumpectomy and the HRT therapy. And as we all say and know 'EVERYDAY IS A GIFT!"

Go UP. I just moved out of a very small bedroom I used for sewing and put up wire shelving on two walls and put some of my plastic containers on those. It worked great and gave me room on the floor for my tables which I also put containers under. Good luck, you can make it work

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your illness and having to lose your home. I would get a day bed to have in the living area and use the bedroom for my sewing. You can keep a nice coverlet on your daybed and can sit on it during the day or if you need to lie down take it off. that way it doesn't look like your bed. also the idea of bookcases are awesome. I got all my cardboard for making my own mini bolts free from Joanns when they were throwing them out in the trash. meant they didn't have to carry it out there. makes 4 same size boards to fill. I have some cupboards with doors that I store my fabric in besides the totes. That way something I don't use very often is not taking up space with what I use a lot of. Take care, Amy

Power Poster
    I think part of the answer depends on what you are able to to.
    Are you able to reach high? Bend down and pull totes from under the bed? How much weight can you lift?

A 56 quart size tote full of fabric is heavy.

I have some industrial shelving that stands by itself and the shelves are adjustable. Tennsco is the maker. I needed help to set it up - a 24 x 48 x 84 inch unit. I had to have some of the tall ones cut down to 78 inches.the only tools needed were a rubber mallet and a hammer. These units can be confiigured in various sizes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast