Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help downsizing/organizing

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC

Need help downsizing/organizing

I am losing my home due to cancer and no longer being able to work. I have a huge stash and don't want to get rid of it, but am moving from a 3-bedroom (with one as a quilting room) 1,600 s.f. to 500 s.f. one-bedroom apartment. Any suggestions on how to get the most fabric into the smallest area? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sharon - NC
    Loving life! Every day is a gift.
    http://www.FightingCancerInc.org

A friend of mine just made such a move. She put her stash in Rubbermaid containers by color and backs separate. Lots of shelving when she got to the smaller place. Good luck
    *Rachel*

try a bookshelf too. with several selves.

I have seen large plastic containers that can be stored under the bed.

Deb

I am in a one bedroom, and there are a couple of ways I am dealing with organization. I bought sweater boxes, and have them stacked in against the wall. I organized by the colors, and have them labeled. I bought a table from Ikea that you make by buying the flat top, and attach legs to it. I am able to put the sweater boxes under it, also. I have a dog house under, a trash can, and it works real well. I made an ironing board, and have a cutting board on it. I keep the lap top on it when I am not cutting. Since I use a Singer 66, it is in a cabinet. You can also put shelves on the wall to keep supplies. I keep thread in a plastic container. All of it is in the living room, and if kept in the area, it works.

My two cents......think up for fabric storage. I have heard of some unique places people have stored fabric! I am sure you will get some great ideas. Quilters love to look at their fabric.....maybe you could use it some how to decorate your new home? People use books to decorate.

Blog Entries
    Sharon, I am sorry this is happening to you, but hope that quilting will provide some therapy and happiness for you and an escape from daily concerns. Keep up the good fight. As for storage, I moved between rooms recently and found that I was able to store a lot more fabric in a small space by wrapping it on "mini bolts" that I stored in a bookcase. Make sure the bookcase isn't too deep - you want to store these bolts in a single layer so you can see your stash. Stand them up like in a quilt shop. As for the bolts, I used corrugated plastic - think cardboard, but plastic, which is stronger. I got scraps from a local sign shop. Takes a while to put the fabric on these - so hopefully you will have time before the move.
    Last edited by paulswalia; 08-14-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I just wrapped all my fabric onto comic book boards and it's amazing the amount of space it has saved, and those can be placed on a shelf or into a drawer. I put mine on shelves with my pre-cuts and made a display wall, didn't need wall art in my sewing room.

I would suggest a Murphy type bed in the living room and dedicating the bedroom to sewing and of course a place for your clothes. Closet organizers are a must and don't keep more clothes than you can wear in a week plus those for more special occasions. I assume you will have laundry in your unit. You can always have the living room picked up and close the door to the workroom if company comes. Downsizing is not easy but it does force us to evaluate just what we need and then there is less to take care of too and that is helpful. While it is a very tough time for you, there will be some benefits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon - NC View Post
    I am losing my home due to cancer and no longer being able to work. I have a huge stash and don't want to get rid of it, but am moving from a 3-bedroom (with one as a quilting room) 1,600 s.f. to 500 s.f. one-bedroom apartment. Any suggestions on how to get the most fabric into the smallest area? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Put shelves up on the upper wall 10-14 inches from the ceiling and you can stack some there- you could put all the way around the room- as that is usually dead space

Good luck on your move and pray that your cancer treatment goes well. Shelving is a must and no wider than 12" yes vertical clear to the ceiling. I have been trying to clean and rearrange my sewing room for years will be posting pics as soon as DD returns my camera. I also have shelves over and in front of windows, bookcases mounted to the walls and tables underneath try googling creative fabric storage solutions and see what you find.

Ruler folding my fabric helped tremendously. I'm very sorry that you have cancer plus dealing with losing your home. Please keep a upbeat attitude, they say it helps tremendously.

Blog Entries
    talk with a friend have them store some of your things then when you move start folding and sorting it will take a lot of stress off you and you can be in your new place taking your time...

Sorry to hear about your situation. Lots of great ideas from the other gals. I'll be keeping you in prayer as you make this big change.

I have bookcases with doors on the bottom and a desk unit from ikea. They have some great units.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...071/#/60116069 price that shows is just the desk
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59908467/ mine only has doors on the bottoms and I use the top for nic nacs . I use the boards for my fabric and you can fit a lot in the bookcases. I also use a CD cabinet for my FQ.
    Best of luck on your move. I know what it's like to go thru that while you're going thru cancer. I'm so sorry. Oh forgot the cd cabinet here it is http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/07305310/ Best of luck
    Tx born CA raised

I love the idea of a Murphy bed; you will have the best of both worlds.

You've gotten some great suggestions, and I can't add anymore to those. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you're going through this and that I'll keep you in my prayers.

I am so sorry you have to struggle through these life changes. My thoughts and prayers are with you! I am so glad you asked these questions though because I have to find more accessible storage too. The advice you have received has been very helpful to me as I search for an affordable, accessible and aesthetically pleasing system. I wish I lived closer. I'd take you for your treatment appointments and then we could shop together! hehehe!

Sharon, I, too, am sorry this is happening to you. I am about 25 miles south of Charlotte and would be happy to help in any way I can. My husband is handy and I know he would be glad to help too. There are some good suggestions here -- if you decide which ideas you'd like to go with and would like some help, PM me. I have been meaning to put my fabric on the comic boards but haven't tackled it yet so I can't speak from experience but so many people recommend this.

I am so sorry to hear about your cancer! My thoughts are with you! As for storage... Measure the high you have under your bed. They make large roll out containers with lids designed to fit under most beds and several would hold quite a bit.

Prayers for you during this difficult time. I am an eleven year survivor myself. I can't imagine dealing with your illness and having to move. Ask for help, don't try to do it all on your own. I pray you have lots of support from family and friends. God bless you with restored health.

So sorry to hear of your predicament, particularly your health problems. I wish you well in your move and hope some of the suggestions made on QB will be of help.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I love the idea of a Murphy bed; you will have the best of both worlds.
    What about a sleeper sofa?

Put some shelving up closer to ceiling or vertical bookshelves that stand about 5foot or so. Just be sure they are anchored so they don't tip with too much weight

Prayers for your health and well-being. I know this has to be painful in many ways. I bought Rubbermaid shelves at Lowe's and it is amazing how much fabric they hold. They are 72" tall and have 5 shelves each. I ruler folded my fabric and grouped it by color. They are 14" deep and I have them on 3 walls in the sewing room. I can just look at it, and it's gorgeous! No need for decorations, either!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast