Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Sewing Room Floor Ideas

Need Sewing Room Floor Ideas

I just moved into a older house that was built in 1873. It's my daughter's home and she has given me the loft in the upstairs as my sewing room. The room has all hardwood floors that have never been redone. My question for you is would you leave them the way they are or put carpeting on them?

Leave them. Hardwood floors are so much easier to sweep than carpet. Also you can find dropped pins easier, they can get stuck in carpet.
    Peace

I would leave them as they are. I have tile floors and use a small rechargeable vacuum to clean the floors. I feel like small threads would be hard to vacuum out of the carpet. I do use a cushion mat at my cutting table to make it easier on my knees.

Leave them! I have laminate flooring in my sewing room, and I love love love it ... so easy to clean!

I'd much rather have hardwood than carpet.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Me personally I like carpet but that's just me
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Keep the floors and add a rug if needed.

That's a great suggestion as mentioned above to use a cushion mat at cutting (or ironing) tables.

I would keep the hardwood and buy some rugs if you feel the need for some foot cushioning while you are cutting or ironing. Instead of rugs, I like those rubber pieces to stand on. You can buy the ones that click together, https://www.houzz.com/product/553044...LA_HZ_55304413
    or the anti fatigue mats such as this http://www.americanfloormats.com/anti-fatigue-mats/

Wal Mart, Home Depot and Lowe's all carry the high density foam/rubber anti fatigue mats. Harbor Freight did carry the locking rubber mats in a dark gray because I bought a couple of boxes from them several years ago. Those are wonderful!
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    I would leave the hardwood...it is easy to run a Swiffer around for dust and threads than it is to drag out a vacuum. We live in an old house (late 1700s) and I love the charm of the old floors. It wouldn’t take much to give the floor a quick sanding and a coat of poly or floor paint before you move in.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have hardwood with an area rug in the middle of the room in my sewing room. I love it. I can stand on the carpet for cutting but sewing is on a hard surface. I can hear the pins drop (even if I can't see them at the time). Best of both worlds for me. Planning on doing this in the remainder of the house over time as well.

I took out carpet in my sewing room once and replaced with hardwood floors. I put area rugs in some places, too. If you use chairs with wheels on them, the wood floors will make it easier to roll around.
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan used to be in FL when she chose this user name

A fat quarter is not a body part!

Quote Originally Posted by craft View Post
    My question for you is would you leave them the way they are or put carpeting on them?
    Think of carpeting as dirt sifters and smell catchers , which you will see if you ever remove carpeting. Since these floors have never been finished, you might give some thought to a good grade of linoleum or laminate.
    Happy Creating in your new space!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
    Leave them. Hardwood floors are so much easier to sweep than carpet. Also you can find dropped pins easier, they can get stuck in carpet.
    I agree with Lisa. There is no way I would carpet the hardwood floors. I have all hard flooring downstairs in my house and love it. It's so much easier and cleaner than carpet.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Another vote for the wood for all the reasons stated. Also since you're upstairs the insulation value of carpet is unnecessary.

Hi there, Craft no have the wood floor redone you want to be able to move around especially sewing chairs with wheels and other items will be easy to move. I have carpet and it very hard to move around. But if you really want carpet get the carpet that is flat almost look like vinyl.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

I have had carpet in a couple of sewing rooms over the years. Whatever you do, don't complicate your sewing room with carpet! The reasons are 1. finding dropped items 2. sweeping 3. static electricity 4. inability to slide or roll chairs or other objects
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

My sewing room is carpeted because it's actually supposed to be a bedroom. I'm in the minority here. I love carpet, however we mostly have oak and cherry floors. I find them a pain to keep clean but my husband wanted the cherry floors. They are beautiful but he has to keep them up because I refuse lol
    I actually would prefer no carpet in my sewing room for the reasons everyone else stated but I'm keeping it.

Would definitely leave the hardwood floors - enjoy! We have laminate in most of our house but hardwood floors is more upscale.

I have carpet in the sewing room too as it was a bedroom. I have those plastic things you put under a rolling chair and that helps. I also would prefer no carpeting in this room too but am grateful to have the room - didn't always have a sewing room.

I will join the chorus and vote for no carpet, for all the reasons others have stated. Plus..... I currently have carpet in my sewing room and am working on getting it replaced. One of the biggest obstacles, is getting the stuff boxed and organized to be moved out so flooring can be put in. I know installers will move furniture from a room to put down flooring, but most of the contents of that furniture has to be boxed up.
    Looking back to when I first moved into the then empty room, I truly regret not getting the carpet out then.
    You can always put a rug on hard floors, you can not put hard floor on top of carpet.

Every sewing room I have had (until now) have had carpet and it was a pain. When we gutted this house before we moved in, I put laminate on the floor and love it.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I'm not sure why everyone says the carpet is a problem. I have no trouble with carpet in my sewing room. We have hardwood in the front of the house (built in 1923) and the computer chair tears it up if I don't have a floor protector covering it.
    I considered taking out the carpeting in the sewing room but our house is not on a slab it has a foundation with a crawl space underneath so it gets very cold. And it does double as a guest room (there is a queen murphy bed in the room). I also like how carpet soften sounds in the room. We don't have any pets so I am not as concerned about dirt in the carpet.

Iím a huge carpet lover, too. I find the hardwood/tile/linoleum collects too much dust for me. I float my quilts on my LA, and always ended up with lots of dust on the quilts when I advanced or when Iíd lay them out on the floor to trim them. I found these carpet squares at Home Depot for $1/SF, and love how my floor now looks like a patchwork quilt!

Name:  89F624B9-D3E8-48D4-8953-A49C5A45B845.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  118.8 KB

I'd leave them, but you may want to add a mat under your chair to keep it from scuffing the floor.

I Love old houses.

~C

[QUOTE=cindi;7967243]Iím a huge carpet lover, too. I find the hardwood/tile/linoleum collects too much dust for me. I float my quilts on my LA, and always ended up with lots of dust on the quilts when I advanced or when Iíd lay them out on the floor to trim them. I found these carpet squares at Home Depot for $1/SF, and love how my floor now looks like a patchwork quilt!/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of carpet, especially for the LA for the same reasons + while standing at the LA, I need give on the floor. I put snap-together squares from Harbor Freigt + area rug.

I sew barefoot/socks. The floor is too cold. I like the sound buffer also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast