Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New quilt display

New quilt display

Maybe others store and display their quilts on top of their kitchen cupboards but this is new to me. I never liked the empty space above the cupboards.

Name:  IMG_3408.JPG
Views: 2580
Size:  1.64 MBName:  IMG_3409.JPG
Views: 2630
Size:  1.62 MB

The tops of kitchen cabinets would be the last place to store quilts. I know how bad this area gets with grease and dirt, I would be afraid that my quilts would look like that. No, not a good place to store quilts!!

same here, greasy place in my house, but we don't have a vent over the stove.
    I have teapots up there, I can take them down and run through the dishwasher.

Beautiful quilts, lovely display

Quote Originally Posted by patsews View Post
    The tops of kitchen cabinets would be the last place to store quilts. I know how bad this area gets with grease and dirt, I would be afraid that my quilts would look like that. No, not a good place to store quilts!!
    So very true!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    that's were all the greasy dust pet fur collects. what a mess they will be. NO!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    wait, maybe she's so busy quilting she orders in and never cooks, ever! in that case, eat off of paper plates, and store in the cupboards.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Some people have nice cupboards in their sewing room. I doubt these are in her kitchen.

I surely hope these quilts are above sewing room cabinets, and not kitchen cabinets. Pottery, old tin ware, Fiesta ware, or green vines would work above kitchen cabinets instead. Personally I have little pigs, baskets and green vines above mine.

In the first line, the OP says "kitchen".

I have fancy bottles, dishes, baskets, vases and platters above the cabinets in my kitchen. I do very little heavy frying in grease, but I need to take everything down from above those cabinets at least once a year and wash it all. It's a mess. When I use anything that has been up there, it needs to be washed first.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I so love this display. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to glass in that space?
    Maybe like a fold down secretary, so you could move them around, easy to get to, options for a pretty knob?
    My dad built sliding glass doors into the cabinets he built for their rock hounding treasures. It still allowed in a good portion of dust and dander.
    Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-04-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

*** Very nice quilts - bad storage idea.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

That reminds me it is time to clean the area above my kitchen cupboards -- what a messy job -- would never store quilts there even tho they look pretty.

How disappointing with all the negative comments towards GHQuilter53!

She showed a potential quilt storage place ......
    However ..... did any of you READ her post??
    Quote Originally Posted by ghquilter53 View Post
    Maybe others store and display their quilts on top of their kitchen cupboards but this is new to me. I never liked the empty space above the cupboards.
    Take note ... she mentioned that maybe others stored their quilts in this manner.
    And while stating she does not like the empty space above the cupboards, she NEVER said those were her cupboards OR that she even intended to do this.

No wonder she has not returned to this thread to comment further.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I didn't take any of the comments to GHQuilter53 as an attack. I took them as we all love her quilts and wanted to make sure she knew the potential risks, and embraced the fact she was looking for alternative ways to display and received feedback.

Without knowing if she cooks (I have friends who literally have to dust their stove), maybe this isn't an issue for her. Not a big deal.

I think it is a great use of imagination to put it there. I wouldn't for the reasons listed, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. Just different.

I kinda liked the idea of putting glass or plexi up there to protect them if she is a 'cooker'. It would prevent issues and still give her a very unique and pretty way to display her goodies

Does everyone have open space above kitchen cabinets. I am thinking about having cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. Is this not a good idea?

Does everyone have open space above their kitchen cabinets? I was thinking about having kitchen cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. Is this a bad idea?

Cabinets going all the way to the ceiling are a great feature. They are more expensive, which is one reason many homes do not have them. Another is that the space is hard to access without a stool or ladder. But for storing seldom used appliances, dishes and food products, the added space is terrific. I hate having space above the cabinets because it always needs cleaning and I'm not one for a lot of displayed items. Some of mine go to the ceiling. Others do not. My husband is always putting stuff into the open space. Arrrghhh.

I never even considered the dirt on top of the cupboards as being a problem. I just dusted well and laid down some old towels. My husband and I no longer do any frying so grease is not an issue in my kitchen. There is just as much dust on my quilt racks. When we paint our cabinets someday maybe I can talk my husband into extending the cupboards to the ceiling which is what I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    Does everyone have open space above kitchen cabinets. I am thinking about having cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. Is this not a good idea?
    My cabinets go all the way to up. There's a 12" or so drop from the ceiling down with a plate rail and my cupboards go all the way up to that. My former house had cupboards that didn't go all the way to the ceiling and while it looked nice with little decorative teapots and other things up there as everyone has said they got really messy and I had to take them down and wash them every so often. They were always messy when I did.

And, I'd like to add that I didn't feel that anyone was attacking the OP. People were just pointing out that that type of storage while attractive isn't very good for the quilts. Sometimes people don't think of that when they see an idea. They just think how pretty it looks with the nice colors up there.
    Last edited by cashs_mom; 01-04-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I don't think anyone is attacking the OP. I think they are telling the truth instead of candy coating.
    My first kitchen had soffits, a built in dead space (drop down) above the cabinets. I would prefer that again if I could do this house over. Some people have doors on those soffits, but you need a step ladder to access them.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    same here, greasy place in my house, but we don't have a vent over the stove.
    I have teapots up there, I can take them down and run through the dishwasher.

Beautiful quilts, lovely display
    Great minds think alike. I have my teapot collection on mine too. I like unusual teapots. I even have one that is a couch and the spout is a lamp.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Dust and dirty is what I thought of first. Second I thought of the fading them.
    I have cabinets going up to the ceiling. I have 7ft ceiling. In utility room ( add on, I have 8ft ceiling) I have space to store fancy, painted ceramic flower pots and old coffee cans, from the 60s or so. Once every few years I I bring in a step ladder in to bring them down to wash. I wish I didn't have that space now.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

OMG!!! Not me, yuck!!!
    So Much Fabric, So Little Time!!!
    Beth
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...D64A7AA5A1.png

Newspaper on top of cupboards is a big help. Take your teapots (or what have you) down to wash, roll up newspaper and discard. My friend does this. I cut lineolium to fit all upper and lower cabinets, had enough left to line the hidden spots up on top so I wipe, but it's easy enough to do.

Gosh, that sounds really cute. I collect teapots and tea cups and saucers. I try to find some that are very different. I started because I won a set at a Christian Women's Club luncheon. I then wrote my grandmother and she sent me 6 sets of her favorites---one is from the depression and she paid a nickel for it. lol My sister gave me a few more sets of my grandmother's cups and saucers right before they both died. I love those. Then friends have bought me a few sets and I have bought some on our travels. I have run out of room. I have them all in a huge curio cabinet. I don't like washing them but once a year. lol I am behind about 5 years. They are probably crying. I own a teapot from Russia that is beautiful. I don't use that one but I should. I miss using them. I drink a cup or two of tea a day. So, enjoy all of yours while you can and I will do the same when we get home from our next short trip!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast