Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: New Sewing Room

My walls are ver pale pink, but I love your green choice. Think about how many colors go with green!

Well my favorite color is purple and I would put it anywhere I had available. I have a small ranch home and just painted the living room, dining room combo and the hallway a color called "Rapture". My husband thought it was going to be a shade of green because I had lots of samples on the walls in that color. For over a week I had a purple towel hanging in a noticeable spot to get the look of it in all different light. He goes to bed very early because of his early work hours. He went to bed one night, I painted it all purple and trimmed all the woodwork in ivory. The living room bottom wall is ivory with wide molding and purple on top. When. My dh woke up the next morning I thought he would die. He was actually mad at me. My kids live away and they too thought I was nuts. But I must tell you, everyone loves it. I think it was their idea of purple that scared them. All my family and friends say it is one of thee most beautiful rooms they ever saw. My husband now says he likes it and is over the shock of it all. I told him once it was all done and put together he would love it and that is how it ended up. Sooooooo go for whatever color you love. You will spend time there and you need to love it. You know what my vote would be.
    Even all of my quilting friends know my love of purple and when we are at shows or do some shop hopping, they all point it out. It is a friendly joke between all of us. If its purple, its mine.
    Wow looks like a short novel here, sorry.
    Everything in life happens for a reason.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping to use a light bluish gray, leaning more toward gray. I want my colors (fabric and also paper and marker since I make cards) to look true but I don't want a 100% neutral on the walls.

gus
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hopflower View Post
    Lavender is another shade I considered- Plum would be rather dramatic. I would love to see a photo of the plum room.

I just accessed your blog and saw a glimpse of those plum walls. How lovely. It is deeper than what I was thinking of, but I can see why it makes you happy!

That is a beautiful wedding gown you made, as well. Just thought I would mention it.
    I am just getting the sheet rock done but will be putting Lavender on my walls. Would love to see one that has this
    Gus Olson

Mine is in the beige family. I needed to paint it before I moved my stuff in but was too impatient for that. I like Behr Popcorn Ball, the color of my kitchen and dining room. I love it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by coastienest View Post
    Well my favorite color is purple and I would put it anywhere I had available. I have a small ranch home and just painted the living room, dining room combo and the hallway a color called "Rapture". My husband thought it was going to be a shade of green because I had lots of samples on the walls in that color. For over a week I had a purple towel hanging in a noticeable spot to get the look of it in all different light. He goes to bed very early because of his early work hours. He went to bed one night, I painted it all purple and trimmed all the woodwork in ivory. The living room bottom wall is ivory with wide molding and purple on top. When. My dh woke up the next morning I thought he would die. He was actually mad at me. My kids live away and they too thought I was nuts. But I must tell you, everyone loves it. I think it was their idea of purple that scared them. All my family and friends say it is one of thee most beautiful rooms they ever saw. My husband now says he likes it and is over the shock of it all. I told him once it was all done and put together he would love it and that is how it ended up. Sooooooo go for whatever color you love. You will spend time there and you need to love it. You know what my vote would be.
    Even all of my quilting friends know my love of purple and when we are at shows or do some shop hopping, they all point it out. It is a friendly joke between all of us. If its purple, its mine.
    Wow looks like a short novel here, sorry.

I bet it was a shock to wake up and and see purple paint! I would love it though, as I am an avid lover of anything in the lavender/purple/violet family. I did think of lavender, but it would have to be the right shade and not too cold or dark. The light in that room would probably solve any of those problems, however.

I would really enjoy seeing some lavender sewing rooms. You have a contender for the purple queen race here!
    Last edited by hopflower; 07-11-2013 at 06:19 AM.

My room is tequila blue by Behr and it is wonderful any time of the day or night.

I prefer blue as it shows more natural colors.

Quote Originally Posted by jacklinp123 View Post
    My room is tequila blue by Behr and it is wonderful any time of the day or night.
    I am going to look that one up online. The tequila part does not sound bad at all. Teehee.

My sewing room is done in a pale peach and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
    My sewing room is done in a pale peach and I love it.
    Wow. I never thought of that one. It would be pretty now I think on it. A friend of mine has an apricot shade on her walls; it is delightful. I imagine it would be similar and now I wonder why I did not think of either of those shades.

Choosing paint colors can be difficult.. Good luck with your decision. I just painted my new quilt studio in "Castle Path" color paint. It's a bit darker of a neutral. I figure no matter what colors I put in the room using quilts, bookcase, quilt racks, threads on display, etc., those colors will come forward to be more visible. But I'm a "neutral" person. This room has one wall which is mostly windows facing east. We just moved into a new house and I needed to choose paint colors for all the rooms so they could be painted all at once. The rooms were changed from white to soothing medium tone neutrals. I wish you well.

I painted mine a pale peach and really love it.

I have pale blue with a north facing window, however there's not much of the wall showing One wall is my design wall, one has wallhangings, one has the window and the other has white kitchen cupboards attached to it. I do LOVE a light bright room and have quite a few light fixtures.

Pale peach would be bright, almost neutral, and fill the room with light. Love the color. What is the floor?

When I bought my longarm, I turned a "tool/storage" room into my quilting room. I had to clear it all out (and do something with all the junk), put in flooring, rework the exterior door threshold, hang mini blinds, etc. I really wanted to paint the room, but was running out of time and, mostly, energy. I had to make a run to Lowes for supplies and made a deal with myself. I decided I would check the clearance paint (miscolored paint) section and, if they had a nice blue (my favorite color) or green, I would buy it and paint the room; otherwise, I was done! I was actually hoping all the way there that they wouldn't have anything, but, wouldn't you know...they had a wonderful light, steely blue for just a few bucks!! (Oh, maaaannnn!!! LOL) I reluctantly pressed forward and am glad I did.

I really think that you should just pick a color that makes you happy and go for it. After all, it is your "happy place."
    Laurlyn
    Innova 26" w/LS

Quote Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
    Pale peach would be bright, almost neutral, and fill the room with light. Love the color. What is the floor?
    I have medium wood floors throughout the whole house. No carpet, as it was not in good shape when we got the house. The floors are for the most part in pretty good shape.
    Last edited by hopflower; 07-11-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laurlync View Post
    When I bought my longarm, I turned a "tool/storage" room into my quilting room. I had to clear it all out (and do something with all the junk), put in flooring, rework the exterior door threshold, hang mini blinds, etc. I really wanted to paint the room, but was running out of time and, mostly, energy. I had to make a run to Lowes for supplies and made a deal with myself. I decided I would check the clearance paint (miscolored paint) section and, if they had a nice blue (my favorite color) or green, I would buy it and paint the room; otherwise, I was done! I was actually hoping all the way there that they wouldn't have anything, but, wouldn't you know...they had a wonderful light, steely blue for just a few bucks!! (Oh, maaaannnn!!! LOL) I reluctantly pressed forward and am glad I did.

I really think that you should just pick a color that makes you happy and go for it. After all, it is your "happy place."

That is so true. I think I am going to go for the Apple Blossom after all. It was gorgeous as a sample and it did make me happy.

A soft yellow is both bright and soothing. Helps on a rainy day! We had over 2weeks of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Micki922 View Post
    A soft yellow is both bright and soothing. Helps on a rainy day! We had over 2weeks of that!
    And that is indeed another consideration. We need some rain here, because we go to drought too often lately. We used to be known for cold and rainy winters, but they have been dry the last few years.

My sewing room is off white.

Blog Entries
    How about a light gray?. You can add other colors to decorate as an accent.

Pale apple green sounds both cheery and calming. Green paint is really hard to get right, though, so I would say find a solid that you really like (scrapbook paper or fabric) with NO other color in it. Then have it color matched .Otherwise you will probably have a disappointment or two with trying to get the green the color you envision.

Blog Entries
    I've decided this is going to be my sewing room color. Not the light bluish gray I originally thought but I love this color so what the heck.
    Name:  paint_retiringblue.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  11.8 KB

I vote for the green...if you find it makes you happy, it's perfect. My sewing room is in our daylight basement and being that I live in Alaska, I painted it a creamy yellow and light teal blue. Makes me smile every time I walk in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3