Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sewing Room

New Sewing Room

I am turning an extra bedroom into a sewing room. Right now there are biscuit coloured walls (read beige) but I would like something a bit more lively. Any suggestions? The room is situated on the southeast side of the house. A pale apple green is being considered, but I am not sure about it.

My room is a pale green and faces the south. I just love the color.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I'm no help, I like eggshell.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Ha! Well, it isn't bad, but eggshell is already featured in another room besides this one. It is a calming shade, but almost too calming. I would love for it to be a bit brighter during the day and also a shade that will work well at night.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
    My room is a pale green and faces the south. I just love the color.
    This is encouraging!

Blog Entries
    I love pale apple green!!! I'm voting for that color. Good luck, can't wait to hear what you decide.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I would like to paint mine a pale yellow or pale blue. I think both are soothing colors and that is important when I am unsewing for the umpteenth time.
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

I picked a turquoise blue/sky blue color for my sewing room because I wanted a color that made me feel happy when I walked in the room!

Yes, I considered blue; although it is my favourite colour, it can be cold. Yellow I have for my kitchen. But a good atmosphere is important for relaxing sewing. I wonder how people can sew in orange and hot pink rooms although some are quite lovely.

I was in amature theatre and the place where the actors rested was called the green room. The room was painted green because it is a calming color and vey easy on the eyes. Go for green.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I'd go for the green - my favorite master bedroom in one of our previous homes was a pale sage green - it was SO calming and wonderful to be in. I also love a lighter shade of yellow, because it also is a color that makes me feel good. If green makes you feel good, go for it!

You really want lively? Try this ( I couldn't decide which color I liked best, so I used em all...lol):
    Name:  utility room paint 1.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  15.1 KB

My sewing room faces south. It's a pale green color to help keep the room "cool".

We painted our oldest daughter's room Baby Bee Yellow (behr) when she moved out of the nursery. If I had a sewing room, that is the color I'd paint it.

I have light gray. For me, it goes well with the design wall--so whatever quilt is pinned to it, there is no distraction. I can change the color scheme since gray is a natural to me. Right now it is gray with a burgundy wine color, but by switching 2 thin window panels to turquoise and a few tweaks in the display, like a jar of buttons, seasonal flowers etc. to match. It gives it a whole new look especially for the seasons (I know a bit crazy but I love the feel while sewing).

Blog Entries
    My sewing studio (that doubles as computer room) has papaya orange colored walls with a yellow trim! It's so happy and I LOVE it!!!

When we originally painted it, this room was my study room for nursing school. I figured that if I had to be in here so bloody much, then it had to at least be a happy room! DH says that if we put black seeds on it, it will look exactly like a papaya!
    Go forth and sew!

I have my sewing room painted "Cantaloupe Smile" by Sherwin Williams. I LOVE it! It's a bold color, that's nice and bright even with the lights off.

my color choice for my quilt room is buttery yellow, but I have apple green accents in curtains, pillows. Can't wait to see your finished room!

mine is a plum color. Design wall is alight blue curtain. I've thought a few times about changing the color to something lighter but then i look at it it and I still love this color! It makes me happy sew it stays!
    So many quilts.....so little time!
    http://ginniequilts.blogspot.com//

Power Poster
    Choose the color that will make you happy to be in there quilting..

Mine is pale yellow.

Mine is a bright sunshinny yellow. I think you should go with a color that you feel attuned with. Love the idea of using small easily changeable items as a counterpoint to the main color.
    That plaid room is amazing, what a lot of patience that took. I agree if one color is good, probably another half dozen is even better.

Blog Entries
    I love this thread!!! hearing about what colors are on the walls and the reason why. Very interesting. its not realy a yellow, but in that color family.
    Heres mine. Name:  book looks good.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  28.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    I was in amature theatre and the place where the actors rested was called the green room. The room was painted green because it is a calming color and vey easy on the eyes. Go for green.

Yes, actually many mental health facilities use shades of green just for that calming effect. I used to work in the mental health field, and saw those colours a lot. And they are soft and soothing!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I love this thread!!! hearing about what colors are on the walls and the reason why. Very interesting. its not realy a yellow, but in that color family.
    Heres mine. Name:  book looks good.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  28.4 KB

That is a very pretty colour. I can imagine being very happy working in a room like that one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast