Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Oh my!

Oh my!

I haven't posted in forever (never was super active - life threw a few curveballs after I originally signed up) but lately I have been reading your organization threads and tips and wanted to thank you all! With family coming in town for Thanksgiving, I have been motivated to organize my sewing room (which double as a guest room next week). I have a few bins left to go through, but it is much better than it has been in years. It is amazing how peaceful it is to walk into a room where you can see things and find what you need.

But Oh My at the number of UFOs I have found. I feel like every single day, I find something else that I had forgotten about. I found a cute holiday placemat one day that only needed binding. While looking for some scraps to use for binding, I found a matching UFO placemat! I had to laugh when I found the second one that I didn't even remember after finding the first one. LOL! So now I know my 2019 goal - to get some of those UFOs completed.

Welcome back. Consider this home, a warm and fuzzy place where people will encourage you in whatever you endeavor.

Welcome back and check out the UFO challenge on the challenges forum. It’s a fun thread and lotks of great motivation to get those UFOs done.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Welcome back! It's fun to find those mystery UFO projects; the ones we forgot about. Have fun deciding which one to finish first!

Blog Entries
    Good for you to get your sewing/guest room organized. I'm still working on that, but I finished 6 UFOs this year, and it feels good. So go for it and enjoy the sense of accomplishment.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Welcome back to the QB...I’m sure it feels great to have your room organized. I know that I am more productive in a clean environment.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Hi and welcome back from North Carolina! Congrats on your organizing successes! I don't have the organization fabric gene. If I ever get to see the floor in my spare bedroom again, it will be the 8th wonder of the world! When my son comes to visit (rarely), he prefers to sleep on the sofa!

Blog Entries
    I love to clean my sewing room. I find so many fun things in there. I joined a “Slash your stash” group this year and while my stash continues to grow every time I walk into a quilt store, I have managed to get organized. How I wish Rumplestiltskin would come catch me up! Lol
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Power Poster
    Welcome back and you will feel much better to finish some UFOs.

Someone on another site asked us to count our UFOs and I was very surprised to have 27. Didn't realized I'd let myself go in getting them finished. I'm glad to say I did get 2 of the oldest UFOs finished this year though not included in my count. Oh well, 2019 will be a busy year if I want to try to cut the number of them down somewhat.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Don't think of them as UFO's. Think of them as head starts on 2019 projects
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    ........................ I found a cute holiday placemat one day that only needed binding. While looking for some scraps to use for binding, I found a matching UFO placemat! I had to laugh when I found the second one that I didn't even remember after finding the first one. LOL! So now I know my 2019 goal - to get some of those UFOs completed.
    My friend had a stroke earlier in the year. She is doing well and when she started quilting again, she has been working on finishing all her UFO’s and has done a great job staying “on course” to finish the UFO’s before starting a new project.

I don’t have what I consider UFO’s, I call them quilt tops. :-) A few are what I pieced, but the majority of my tops are vintage. My goal now is to get them quilted and bound before I go too crazy piecing another top. I will start with my own and then TRY to finish up more of the vintage tops.

I too love the organizational thread. I will be moving to a new house this year and am slashing my stash and trying to only move what I want. In 2018 our guild did a ufo challenge and I have to say I finished 6 out the 10 selected. Some I was happily surprised to see again, a couple were "what was I thinking" and there were even of few that I had thought I had finished or lost. I am dedicating my time to complete what I can so I do not have to move it, but dang, there is so much cute stuff out there.

Dumb Question. Where is the Challenge Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Welcome back and check out the UFO challenge on the challenges forum. It’s a fun thread and lotks of great motivation to get those UFOs done.

Rob
    Carol

You and me both, Grinch. LOL I found more UFOs than I want to admit having while moving my fabric stacks so the spare bedroom would be available should I need it over the Holidays. Or, maybe I will just stuff them in boxes, wrap then in Christmas paper and place them under the tree.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
    Dumb Question. Where is the Challenge Forum?
    at the top of this page you will see “forum”. Click on that and you will get a listing of all the quilting board sections. The UFO thread is in the section called “Quiltingboard Challenges and Contests”

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

We're all in the same boat it seems. I cleaned up my sewing area yesterday and found so many UFO's. I won't be doing much more this year but I hope to finish them all up next year. Gathered them all together so I start right out the first of next year on the right foot.

Well, I guess i need to find out exactly how many UFOs I have or 2019 head starts. I think it may be time to be honest and purge as necessary. There are people who like to finish projects and I’d rather pass on then think I have so many items to finish. Then with the ones I do keep, I can set some finish goals to keep me movtivated.

Blog Entries
    Nothing like some guests to shame you into cleaning, right?? It's definitely true for me!! My sis will be out in Dec. and I'm trying to sort, clean and toss some stuff. Don't know how it multiplies so bad when we're not looking. Enjoy your cleaned up space, and I'm taking the challenge to try to do the same here!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    Not finding the challenge forum on my page. Only have forum links n none say challenges

Blog Entries
    Here's the link to the UFO challenge thread....it's fun to see people get the UFO's fun and done...comment are often made as to why they went to UFO land...stumbling blocks etc...oh and pictures are always fun to see.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...e-t301919.html
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Sewing Room Sections to Tidy in January and February

Name:  IMG_6815.jpg
Views: 2187
Size:  118.3 KB

I just made this list and took a picture in case anyone else would like a visual to help them. Having a detailed list of sections helps me stay on track, see my progress by area as opposed to going willy-nilly around my room, and I can cross off a section at a time.

Additionally, with my personality, I like to choose a section based on my level of motivation, energy, need for space in a certain area, or a given time allotment. I could not make the closet one section or I'd feel overwhelmed. So making it 3 is better. Also, since I am also concurrently decluttering my master bedroom for my DD and DSIL to do the makeover (their "big gift" to us) , I am being realistic that it will take two months to do both rooms.

Oops! Sorry I put this comment in your post. Not exactly on topic. I meant to put it this section, though. Iíll repost later when I get a chance.