Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Pantry cabinet for fabric storage >

Pantry cabinet for fabric storage

Pantry cabinet for fabric storage

Old 01-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Pantry cabinet for fabric storage

I have two pantry cabinets installed in my dining room conversion to a sewing room. The pantries are 18 inches wide by 24 inches deep by 80 inches tall (I think). The shelves are spaced about 14 inches apart. Each cabinet has 5 shelves but I probably won't put much on the top shelves--too high for me to reach without a stool.

How can I best fold/store fabric in these cabinets? My fabric is currently stored in bins by color, folded to about 9" wide by 18 or 20 inches long. I want to utilize the space in the best way possible and be able to see all the fabric. I don't know what to do with the deepness of the cabinets that makes some of the space unusable the way I currently have my fabric folded.

Any hints? Thanks for suggestions!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

If the cabinets are 24 inches deep, just lay your 9 X 20 inch pieces straight in. Pile them up in colour family and If you keep your 6 inch ruler handy, you can slide it into the pile, lift the top fabric and pull out the fold you want.
The other option would be to make mini bolts standing up but do them 2 deep. The problem with that is you would need to remove the front fabrics to see the ones behind.
Save the top shelves to store your batts.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I like your hint about using the ruler to keep from pulling out fabrics other than the one I want to use!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM

I have a monster of a pantry cabinet I bought to put in my sewing studio. So far due to my carpenter not getting finished out there I bagged mine in 2 gallon ziploc bags. Then I’ll have to figure something else out but it sure holds a lot of fabric
Old 01-04-2019, 01:07 PM

My electrician is out handing my 4800 lumen led lights now. He put in a new light in my kitchen n brought me out of the dark ages
Old 01-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I store my yardage in a tall pantry cabinet 24x24. I ruler folded my fabric on a 6x24 ruler and stacked them by color. I do pull out the whole stack when looking for a fabric so they don't get scrunched in any way. It works wonderfully.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 AM

I folded my fabric onto comic book boards and stand them on the held. So much easier to see and you can pull one out without unfolding all the others.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:59 AM

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to filling my cabinets. I'm waiting for the cabinet pulls to come in and be installed (maybe next week) before starting to fill them. I can't wait!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:30 AM

I have a pantry cabinet in my kitchen without pull-out shelves. I use low sided plastic tubs the depth of the shelves to store my food items in. I can then just pull out the tub, see what is in the tub and remove what I am looking for. You could do the same thing with your fabric. Fold The fabric to fit the tub. Organize by color and size. Label the bins. Just pull out the bin, pick out what you need and push the tube back in. If the tubs are not too heavy, you could use all your shelves. The tubs could hold anything you want them to hold. Fabric, thread, patterns, etc.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:11 AM

I need to measure shelves and look for bins, too!