Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pantry cabinet for fabric storage

Pantry cabinet for fabric storage

I have two pantry cabinets installed in my dining room conversion to a sewing room. The pantries are 18 inches wide by 24 inches deep by 80 inches tall (I think). The shelves are spaced about 14 inches apart. Each cabinet has 5 shelves but I probably won't put much on the top shelves--too high for me to reach without a stool.

How can I best fold/store fabric in these cabinets? My fabric is currently stored in bins by color, folded to about 9" wide by 18 or 20 inches long. I want to utilize the space in the best way possible and be able to see all the fabric. I don't know what to do with the deepness of the cabinets that makes some of the space unusable the way I currently have my fabric folded.

Any hints? Thanks for suggestions!
    Marcia

Power Poster
    If the cabinets are 24 inches deep, just lay your 9 X 20 inch pieces straight in. Pile them up in colour family and If you keep your 6 inch ruler handy, you can slide it into the pile, lift the top fabric and pull out the fold you want.
    The other option would be to make mini bolts standing up but do them 2 deep. The problem with that is you would need to remove the front fabrics to see the ones behind.
    Save the top shelves to store your batts.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like your hint about using the ruler to keep from pulling out fabrics other than the one I want to use!
    Marcia

Blog Entries
    I have a monster of a pantry cabinet I bought to put in my sewing studio. So far due to my carpenter not getting finished out there I bagged mine in 2 gallon ziploc bags. Then I’ll have to figure something else out but it sure holds a lot of fabric

Blog Entries
    My electrician is out handing my 4800 lumen led lights now. He put in a new light in my kitchen n brought me out of the dark ages

Blog Entries
    I store my yardage in a tall pantry cabinet 24x24. I ruler folded my fabric on a 6x24 ruler and stacked them by color. I do pull out the whole stack when looking for a fabric so they don't get scrunched in any way. It works wonderfully.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I folded my fabric onto comic book boards and stand them on the held. So much easier to see and you can pull one out without unfolding all the others.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to filling my cabinets. I'm waiting for the cabinet pulls to come in and be installed (maybe next week) before starting to fill them. I can't wait!
    Marcia

I have a pantry cabinet in my kitchen without pull-out shelves. I use low sided plastic tubs the depth of the shelves to store my food items in. I can then just pull out the tub, see what is in the tub and remove what I am looking for. You could do the same thing with your fabric. Fold The fabric to fit the tub. Organize by color and size. Label the bins. Just pull out the bin, pick out what you need and push the tube back in. If the tubs are not too heavy, you could use all your shelves. The tubs could hold anything you want them to hold. Fabric, thread, patterns, etc.

I need to measure shelves and look for bins, too!
    Marcia

Blog Entries
    I have the same problem with a cabinet in my sewing room. It is a Pax Wardrobe from Ikea that has been repurposed. It is about 28 inches deep. I solved the problem by using bins. Due to the number of cats in my house having the fabric covered is important.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I have deep shelves and store my fabric in double rows on boards. The bolts in back are taller than the ones in front. That was I can see what is back there and only have to remove front ones to retrieve something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    ​Crzypatcher, that looks sew pretty!

Your dilemma is why I decided to go with shallow book cases. I use comic book boards and didn't want to put them two rows deep(or find another way to store them). Plus the closet in my sewing room is also shallow so deep shelving wouldn't have worked for me any way. Sorry the pic is sideways.
    Name:  S5032943.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  118.7 KB

Cari

Thanks! I have my work cut out for me!
    Marcia

My shelves are shallow and I have used comic board covers to store the fabric - for me if it's not visible I tend to forget it! Seems like your shelves are deeper - perhaps you could use tension curtain rods to make them shallower, maybe storing something behind the fabric that you don't need/use all the time and/or don't need to see (batting? interfacing?). Then label every shelf (I love my Brother labelmaker) with what is unseen so you know what's there.Name:  sewing room 5.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  884.5 KB

I am still folding--I decided to fold greater than 1 yard pieces into about 12"x20" pieces and 1/2 yard to 1 yard pieces into about 6"x20" pieces and stack them side by side, sorting by color. I'll post a photo when I'm closer to done!
    Marcia