Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Please tell me about your cutting table >

Please tell me about your cutting table

Please tell me about your cutting table

Old 01-23-2016, 10:33 PM

I have a six foot table from an office store that was less than $40 a few years ago. My husband raised the table by putting PVC pipe pieces with end caps on each leg. I have one end set up for cutting and the other half has an ironing mat.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

A hint for others that want to raise their tables ... bed risers work perfectly!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:57 AM

I too had a hard time finding the right height for my cutting board... so finally concluded to counter height plus 2 inch lift... I find I do most of my work there... my machines are at desk height/ I am 5' 3.5" in height .
Old 01-24-2016, 11:18 PM

This is my cutting table. It is 36" x 60" and it is 36" from the floor to the table top. The table is plywood covered with formica. A couple of months ago he added aluminum rails onto two sides to hold the edge of my rulers straight when cutting or drawing lines on fabric.

My husband made it for me. He attached it to the wall on two sides and added a bookcase as a support.
I have storage underneath also.
Attached Thumbnails p9190003.jpg   img_0172_1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 AM
Swap Hosts

I was blessed to find an ENORMOUS hardwood cutting table at a quilter's estate sale some years ago. The flaps fold down if need be -- and that's how I had it in our old home. Amazingly it stood up to the flood water from Superstorm Sandy and is the only piece of furniture we were able to save. Now, thank you Lord, we have a home that gifts me with a spacious two room studio in our basement so it stays open all the time.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:39 AM

My new table is done and in use!! I'd post pics but hubby says it's too "unfinished" looking! I don't mind. My previous cutting table was 2 sawhorses so this is a huge improvement. He could have painted it or finished it nicer but I wanted it NOW!!! That's the way I am. As planned, it's 2' x 4' and will be 36" high when the casters are installed. We have to buy them today. We will have locking casters on the front. It ended up being open on the front and back except for a 10" piece of wood on the bottom. Hubby built in during a blizzard and used whatever wood he could find in the basement. It's ok that it's open - that gives me the knee room I need to sit and pin. I think the table is absolutely perfect and I'm so glad to have a talented hubby to build it for me.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:52 AM

My cutting table is two bookshelves, open part facing each other. (holds part of stash) I have a 25" x 4' plywood over them. Under the wood, and on the book cases, I have plastic containers to raise to a "no-pain-when-cutting height. A large cutting mat fits on top of this. Also, to extend space in my small room, I place my desk and sewing machine at right angles to the wall so that they extend into the room, and back up to each other. Small, "cozy", yes, but very workable for me.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:59 AM

I found an old counter height dinning room table that has a built in leaf to make it wider that I use for my cutting table. I also have a very large cutting matt that fits on top. I actually had to cut the mat down just a little because it was longer than the table but it works great! My back is so much better now that I have this table. I found it at one of our local thrift stores and only paid 75.00 for it.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
My new table is done and in use!! I'd post pics but hubby says it's too "unfinished" looking! I don't mind. My previous cutting table was 2 sawhorses so this is a huge improvement. He could have painted it or finished it nicer but I wanted it NOW!!! That's the way I am. As planned, it's 2' x 4' and will be 36" high when the casters are installed. We have to buy them today. We will have locking casters on the front. It ended up being open on the front and back except for a 10" piece of wood on the bottom. Hubby built in during a blizzard and used whatever wood he could find in the basement. It's ok that it's open - that gives me the knee room I need to sit and pin. I think the table is absolutely perfect and I'm so glad to have a talented hubby to build it for me.

So happy you have a great, new, BIG cutting table.Kudoes to your hubby!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 AM

Thanks! I have had NO back pains since I started using the table. Also I discovered that I was only sitting to pin because it hurt my back to lean over the old table and pin. I find it is very comfortable to stand and pin and that I can reach much further too since I just move to where I want to be. It's all worked out perfectly!!