Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Do you use an app for keeping track of your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/do-you-use-app-keeping-track-your-stash-t242601.html)

neece 03-06-2014 07:58 AM

I don't even have a cell phone:D I am so nontechie that on occasion I unplug my phone:D I learned to use a computer so I could see more quilts and found this site. I love it and hate it both. I love hearing that I am not the only one but I spend time with you all and I should be quilting. Life is a journey and mine is all over the place:D

Carol34446 03-06-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02 (Post 6612127)
Sigh I don't even have an app for anything : (

Don't feel bad, I don't and won't. But for the younger people used to doing this it is great.

borntoquilt 03-06-2014 08:15 AM

don't' feel sad.... Apps (and resulting technology) just complicate what should be a SIMPLE LIFE....... Keep it simple!!!!

sailsablazin 03-06-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 6611276)
Oh gosh - this sounds WAY too techie for me........I would spend more time putting my data into the app than I would care to....especially if I had to start with the existing stash. Maybe if I was buying my first ever piece of fabric, but, given my advanced age and hoarding tendency..............I'll stick with my memory and risk an occasional double buy or purchase of something that doesn't match - that's how the stash got built I the first place!

I am with you on the techie stuff. I would spend hours putting in data and then never look at it. I would much rather spend my time shopping for fabric or actually quilting. My family is still waiting for a warm quilt to snuggle under.
If I like it and it is on sale and I can afford it.....I buy it. If I end up with doubles---oh well. That scrappy quilt is just a callin' to me and someday it will happen. I just need to live to about 105 years old OR get a daughter interested...but so far, no luck!

gale 03-06-2014 01:43 PM

While I was doing this, I found a bunch of stuff I didn't even remember buying. I'm talking yardage and bundles of fat quarters. I don't have a huge stash like some I've seen online (just one tall cabinet, 2 drawers and a box full of precuts) so it didn't take long and I was spending way more time going back and forth trying to figure out how much yardage I have of this and how many greens of that and so on. Now I can tag everything on the computer (it syncs up with the app on my phone) so that I can quickly look through my reds, greens, blues, stripes, dots, plaids, etc without it being actually physically sorted that way (it's sorted according to the manufacturer and collection).

ArchaicArcane 03-06-2014 11:14 PM

I started writing a database program for windows to do what you're talking about. It tracks fabric, patterns, notions, machines, thread, wishlists, projects and publications. It took a lot of time to put my meager stashes in but I do find that even the act of putting things in helped me remember what I have. The goal had been to make it sync with iOS and Android (I have one of each), but for now I just make PDFs of the reports and carry them on my phone or tablet so I have them with me when I shop. I love knowing how much yardage of anything I have at a glance. For me it tends to be the opposite. "I think I have enough of that at home" then I get home and I'm short.

So I guess my answer to your question is "sort of" :D

TeresaA 03-07-2014 02:41 AM

One misnomer in the computing world is that you need an "app". Most of the apps for Ipad and Android have a PC equivalent. Sometimes the PC program is better. Sometimes using plain old MS Excel is better! Sometimes a notebook with glued in snippets and notes would work just fine. No reason you need an app and no reason to feel badly because you don't have one.

But if you just have to have apps! ;-). The other misnomer is that you need to buy a phone with a data plan to have apps. You can buy an inexpensive Android tablet with no data plan and use it over wifi if you have it.

wolph33 03-07-2014 05:24 AM

no way am I gonna take time to list my stash-cuts into sewing time.

quiltmom04 03-07-2014 08:46 AM

The app looks good and would be helpful as your purchase ongoing, but there's no way I'm going to get out all my fabric and measure and photograph it! But, I love all the new technology! And just for reference, we had one corded black phone in the kitchen growing up and a black and white console tv, so I'm old! I'm so afraid of not being able to funtion without assistance as I get older, I've tried to learn everything I can about phones, DVDs and computers. I still need help, but my kids appreciate that I'm trying !!

gale 03-07-2014 09:04 AM

We just moved so I had my stash out anyway, and I already had it measured for the most part. Just had to photograph it. The stuff I didn't have measured I still needed to wrap on boards so I measured it as I did that.

I know what you mean about old. We had an old black rotary phone (party line anyone??) and a B&W tv too. lol. And we had to get up and turn the clunky knob to change the channel.