Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Doors on? Doors off? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/doors-doors-off-t268965.html)

Debbie C 08-20-2015 05:21 AM

It seems you have lots of bulkier fabrics that are hard to neatly fold...I would opt for the doors. Maybe paint them same as the wall color. Also, instead of sliders, I would hinge the doors so they open out, and make each a half of a design wall...killing two birds with one stone (hide your stash, adding valuable design wall) can't wait to see your finished product!

SueSew 08-20-2015 05:29 AM

I am not in favor of having open shelves, because of dust, random bugs if you open the window to the mountain air, that sort of thing. Love the shelves though - wow!

jamsbuying 08-20-2015 05:41 AM

I would keep the doors.

Geri B 08-20-2015 06:30 AM

Doors on definitely!

lass 08-20-2015 06:31 AM

I would do doors to protect the stuff inside from dust and my cat hairs and any possible fading that might occur do to light from the windows. I had fabric stored on a book shelf and some fabric faded and the white ended up with yellowing on the areas where the fold was.

DOTTYMO 08-20-2015 06:39 AM

Oops to protect the fabric. Design the doors so they become storage or display areas.

jbj137 08-20-2015 06:43 AM

*** DOORS - I like tidy.

Friday1961 08-20-2015 08:09 AM

I'd have to have doors! Nice grid arrangement!

hudgoddess 08-20-2015 09:07 AM

Hahahaha! Normally when you do a "survey" on here, the answers are 50-50 either way. It's sad, because I just love the color that I painted inside the closet. And the cubes looked so great stacked in there empty. But after I filled them, it just looks so messy!
I'm looking around. I think a French door style so I can hung stuff on the inside and make a design wall on the outside sounds great. Maybe with a barn door styling so it looks rustic when I take the flannel down.

teddy300 08-20-2015 09:50 AM

No Doors

Originally Posted by hudgoddess (Post 7291122)
We just bought a house up in the mountains. The whole place was a nicotine yellow off white. After a coat of Killz and 2 coats of semi gloss, we can breathe in the house! Here's the closet wall in the sewing room/office. I took the big sliding doors off the closet. I guess I'll have to live with it a while before I decide if this looks too messy and needs to be hidden behind bifold doors. What do you think?

I would do no doors. Just refold your fabric sized to fit your cubes. My husband just did the same for me but he installed wire shelving floor to ceiling and I folded the fabric so I can see what is what. Before with the doors I really couldn't see everything in the closet and it was so easy to just stuff more in and shut the doors. Now not only can I see exactly what I am looking for but I tend to keep it neater and the array of color is inspiring.