Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Organizing Buttons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organizing-buttons-t302013.html)

lindaschipper 01-05-2019 06:46 AM

So far I like the spice rack idea....but I sold off all my buttons a few months ago as I hardly ever used them anymore. It may be time to restock and display again!

Snooze2978 01-05-2019 06:57 AM

During the winter time I would burn candles that came in jars with lids. After finished I'd clean them up of the residue and keep them for whatever purpose I saw fit. I had so many different buttons and it was so hard to find what I wanted I decided to separate them using these jars. I put labels on the jars using my label maker and separated them by colors. I have a shelf holding my TV and DVD player in a corner above my sewing machine so decided to line up my jars on this shelf so close enough to see and get to when needed. Also made use of all those jars I'd been saving too. Most of them I'd given away to others but I kept the ones that were the same........with flat lids in case I wanted to stack them.

Innov8R 01-05-2019 07:06 AM

I keep the boxes from chocolates with the dividers for each piece of candy. They make super stacking trays that fit in drawers--several to a a drawer neatly stacked. I like being able to pull out a tray of similarly colored buttons when I am looking for something to use.

All these years, my husband thought I was buying him chocolate goodies out of passion. Sometimes I just wanted the trays:D

Judith1005 01-05-2019 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Innov8R (Post 8187150)
I keep the boxes from chocolates with the dividers for each piece of candy. They make super stacking trays that fit in drawers--several to a a drawer neatly stacked. I like being able to pull out a tray of similarly colored buttons when I am looking for something to use.

All these years, my husband thought I was buying him chocolate goodies out of passion. Sometimes I just wanted the trays:D

Ha, ha, ha, :D. Too funny. Great idea though.

Judith1005 01-05-2019 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 8187143)
During the winter time I would burn candles that came in jars with lids. After finished I'd clean them up of the residue and keep them for whatever purpose I saw fit. I had so many different buttons and it was so hard to find what I wanted I decided to separate them using these jars. I put labels on the jars using my label maker and separated them by colors. I have a shelf holding my TV and DVD player in a corner above my sewing machine so decided to line up my jars on this shelf so close enough to see and get to when needed. Also made use of all those jars I'd been saving too. Most of them I'd given away to others but I kept the ones that were the same........with flat lids in case I wanted to stack them.

Nice upcycle. I love this idea. I have a few in the right size. Will have to think about this when they are empty.

Judith1005 01-05-2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8187134)
So far I like the spice rack idea....but I sold off all my buttons a few months ago as I hardly ever used them anymore. It may be time to restock and display again!

Uh oh, am I enabling you to be bad.....lol :D

Judith1005 01-05-2019 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8187105)
One are in glass jars. I thought everyone had a button jar! I really do love glass jars and collect all sizes. They are great for needs, snaps, etc.

I love them too. But, I have 3 small dogs. It always makes me nervious to have too much glass. But, there is nothing nicer than seeing and enjoying small collections. PS, I also will have an 80 lb puppy in the very near future. As DS brought home a boxer puppy he just couldn't live without.

Judith1005 01-05-2019 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 8186955)
I have mine displayed on the top of my book shelf in the tall, fluted wine bottles - one for the white ones, dark ones and colored ones. Does anyone have a source for some small triangle orange buttons? I want to use them on some appliqued penguins.

I bet this looks so cute. I have too many for this idea though. I have no idea on the triangle buttons. I was looking for square ones in a certain size a few months ago and gave up. I was able to find sequins in the right color and cut them into squares. But, it was for a fabric postcard.

KalamaQuilts 01-05-2019 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had about 12 gallons, sold a lot of the black and white at a garage sale as they were more than I'd ever use :)

Not a pretty image because the light is bad, but this is my way.
Sorted by color because I use a lot of buttons and just empty out the jar on the floor and sort thorough the color I need.

CindyB, orange are the least common, at least coming off worn clothing.
I've decide the green ones are the most inventive.
I have the bone/shell ones sorted together, you can tell they aren't glass or plastic because they feel slightly greasy.
Coat buttons are fun to use for securing devices for wall quilt loops.

The larger jars are 1/2 gallon
+ quarts, and a few pints for the seldom found colors

Judith1005 01-05-2019 11:30 AM

KalamaQuilts, What a great way to store your buttons. I love your photo. Thank you for sharing. Very inspiring.