Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Organizing Buttons

Blog Entries

Organizing Buttons

Ladies and Gents, How do you store or organize your buttons. I have a lot of novelty and colored buttons. A few vintage buttons. (Not many.) I need suggestions on how to store and organize them. Right now, they are stored in a mid size clear plastic container. And, sorted by type and color. Not a very pretty way to keep them. Any suggestions on a better more visual way to display them???
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Power Poster
    I just have mine stored in metal cookie tins. You could get glass candy jars if you want them on display. I did see someone fill up a clear glass lamp base with buttons but then you couldn’t use them.

Blog Entries
    I do have a supply of glass candy jars on hand. I will give it some thought.

The lamp won't work for me. I do use my buttons.

Thanks for the ideas.

I keep mine in small canning jars. Makes a nice display and easy for me to see what I have.

Blog Entries
    I have mine displayed on the top of my book shelf in the tall, fluted wine bottles - one for the white ones, dark ones and colored ones. Does anyone have a source for some small triangle orange buttons? I want to use them on some appliqued penguins.

I have tons of buttons and I store them in a wooden, accordion-style sewing box. Yup, the entire box is full of buttons.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I looked on Pinterest for some ideas & the one I liked best was a spice rack with the jars full of buttons. It was cute & colorful with each jar containing a different color of buttons.

I had a spice rack given for a wedding present that was pretty beat up after a lot of moves in the early years. Works nice to hold vintage buttons and has a couple drawers at the bottom where I throw oversize buttons and keep my bias tape makers.

my grandfathers antique button collection was divided into 5 units by my mother, for my siblings and myself. I used egg cartons to sort by color and then dental floss to keep the units that were the same together. The storybook buttons and antique ones were sewn on fabric covered cardboard to be displayed. That was how my grandfather had them in his antique shop when he sold buttons. I have many beautiful antique ones which I'd never use for the purpose they once had, so display is the next best thing. I have thought of using some of them on quilted wall hangings as decorations- but have yet to make the quilts! I did use some for eyes on fish that I made a quilt of....it was cute and I used tiny pearl buttons for eyes.

Blog Entries
    One are in glass jars. I thought everyone had a button jar! I really do love glass jars and collect all sizes. They are great for needs, snaps, etc.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

So far I like the spice rack idea....but I sold off all my buttons a few months ago as I hardly ever used them anymore. It may be time to restock and display again!

During the winter time I would burn candles that came in jars with lids. After finished I'd clean them up of the residue and keep them for whatever purpose I saw fit. I had so many different buttons and it was so hard to find what I wanted I decided to separate them using these jars. I put labels on the jars using my label maker and separated them by colors. I have a shelf holding my TV and DVD player in a corner above my sewing machine so decided to line up my jars on this shelf so close enough to see and get to when needed. Also made use of all those jars I'd been saving too. Most of them I'd given away to others but I kept the ones that were the same........with flat lids in case I wanted to stack them.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I keep the boxes from chocolates with the dividers for each piece of candy. They make super stacking trays that fit in drawers--several to a a drawer neatly stacked. I like being able to pull out a tray of similarly colored buttons when I am looking for something to use.

All these years, my husband thought I was buying him chocolate goodies out of passion. Sometimes I just wanted the trays
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
    I keep the boxes from chocolates with the dividers for each piece of candy. They make super stacking trays that fit in drawers--several to a a drawer neatly stacked. I like being able to pull out a tray of similarly colored buttons when I am looking for something to use.

All these years, my husband thought I was buying him chocolate goodies out of passion. Sometimes I just wanted the trays
    Ha, ha, ha, . Too funny. Great idea though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    During the winter time I would burn candles that came in jars with lids. After finished I'd clean them up of the residue and keep them for whatever purpose I saw fit. I had so many different buttons and it was so hard to find what I wanted I decided to separate them using these jars. I put labels on the jars using my label maker and separated them by colors. I have a shelf holding my TV and DVD player in a corner above my sewing machine so decided to line up my jars on this shelf so close enough to see and get to when needed. Also made use of all those jars I'd been saving too. Most of them I'd given away to others but I kept the ones that were the same........with flat lids in case I wanted to stack them.
    Nice upcycle. I love this idea. I have a few in the right size. Will have to think about this when they are empty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    So far I like the spice rack idea....but I sold off all my buttons a few months ago as I hardly ever used them anymore. It may be time to restock and display again!
    Uh oh, am I enabling you to be bad.....lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    One are in glass jars. I thought everyone had a button jar! I really do love glass jars and collect all sizes. They are great for needs, snaps, etc.
    I love them too. But, I have 3 small dogs. It always makes me nervious to have too much glass. But, there is nothing nicer than seeing and enjoying small collections. PS, I also will have an 80 lb puppy in the very near future. As DS brought home a boxer puppy he just couldn't live without.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    I have mine displayed on the top of my book shelf in the tall, fluted wine bottles - one for the white ones, dark ones and colored ones. Does anyone have a source for some small triangle orange buttons? I want to use them on some appliqued penguins.
    I bet this looks so cute. I have too many for this idea though. I have no idea on the triangle buttons. I was looking for square ones in a certain size a few months ago and gave up. I was able to find sequins in the right color and cut them into squares. But, it was for a fabric postcard.
    Last edited by Judith1005; 01-05-2019 at 08:00 AM.

I had about 12 gallons, sold a lot of the black and white at a garage sale as they were more than I'd ever use

Not a pretty image because the light is bad, but this is my way.
    Sorted by color because I use a lot of buttons and just empty out the jar on the floor and sort thorough the color I need.

CindyB, orange are the least common, at least coming off worn clothing.
    I've decide the green ones are the most inventive.
    I have the bone/shell ones sorted together, you can tell they aren't glass or plastic because they feel slightly greasy.
    Coat buttons are fun to use for securing devices for wall quilt loops.

The larger jars are 1/2 gallon
    + quarts, and a few pints for the seldom found colors
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    KalamaQuilts, What a great way to store your buttons. I love your photo. Thank you for sharing. Very inspiring.

I forgot to say, any containers with metal on the buttons or shank, throw in a couple of those little desiccant packs that come in pills. Those buttons can really get corroded...ask me how I know.

If I go through those at a later day I set the desiccant packets in the sun for the day and then stick 'em back in the jar

I have my Dad's buttons in the vintage aqua pint jars with the zinc lids. Other buttons I sort by colors and use the half pint candle glass jars. Even after washing, they make my buttons smell good. Some buttons I keep on the vintage cards--like looking at the women of the time.
    Carol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I do have a supply of glass candy jars on hand. I will give it some thought.

The lamp won't work for me. I do use my buttons.

Thanks for the ideas.
    You could use spaghetti ribbons to thread the matching ones on, tie a bow, and put in in the display jar, to add a little more color.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I forgot to say, any containers with metal on the buttons or shank, throw in a couple of those little desiccant packs that come in pills. Those buttons can really get corroded...ask me how I know.

If I go through those at a later day I set the desiccant packets in the sun for the day and then stick 'em back in the jar
    Thanks for that tip. Never thought about that.
    I'm just now organizing my buttons into jars by color. The specialty buttons (shaped like flowers, dogs, etc.) go into several different kinds of boxes.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

Thanks KalamaQuilts, I did not know that. Thank you for sharing you info. I would never have though about that issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast