Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Organizing Buttons

Mine are in glass jars in a bin. Some are from my grandmother and I am afraid to use them but I know I show display them somehow. I have seen glass lamps with buttons in the base which I thought was a great idea.

I use the tool organizer (plastic drawers) like this one from Harbor Freight - and they have the best prices, too.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/40-bin...wer-94375.html
    Not as pretty to display, but really helpful if you like to organize your buttons by color, size, etc.

Look for the specialty buttons, the ones from the Navy P coats with the anchor on from WW2. Also, some of the metal buttons will have certain names on. I really like the old Victorian ones with different colors painted on. I have a lot on the cards too. I have all mine in the 1/2 gallon jars too and I display them in my sewing room. Will add more later with the old wooden spools.

I have a pretty large collection of buttons that are stored in different ways. I bought some of those very small zip locks and put sets into them into the tin. I have a very large tin that I have odds and ends of them separated by color into regular sandwich size bags in a large tin and then I have two plastic storage units that has them separated into colors in each labeled drawer. Oh, and I have a shoe box with carded button sets too.

I have had three people give me their collections and my mother's when she passed. Plus I have my collected ones through the years. I always check at second hand stores for the old carded ones. It is very fun to find them just like new. I also have cut them off garments when it is no longer useful to wear. I love buttons, can you tell?

Honestly, I have used many of them on repairs for my brother's and hubby's jackets and shirts. Usually on the jackets it has to be all of them replaced at once. It is rare that I have only one the right size and color.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-11-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Another button lover here but I rarely use them. I have them in glass jars in my sewing room. They look pretty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I forgot to say, any containers with metal on the buttons or shank, throw in a couple of those little desiccant packs that come in pills. Those buttons can really get corroded...ask me how I know.

If I go through those at a later day I set the desiccant packets in the sun for the day and then stick 'em back in the jar
    Thanks for the tip! I didn’t know why they changed color.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
    I looked on Pinterest for some ideas & the one I liked best was a spice rack with the jars full of buttons. It was cute & colorful with each jar containing a different color of buttons.
    I love the spice rack idea! Wouldn’t you know I already gave my spice rack away!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I picked up a half-dozen glass cream bottles at a barn sale, I sort the buttons by color and size, and display them on my sewing table.
    ​tea

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
    I have had three people give me their collections and my mother's when she passed. Plus I have my collected ones through the years. I always check at second hand stores for the old carded ones. It is very fun to find them just like new. I also have cut them off garments when it is no longer useful to wear. I love buttons, can you tell?
    This is me too, even the thrift store finds!

Most of the buttons I "inherited" came to me in a motley assortment of baby food jars, prescription bottles and margarine tubs, many of which were not even see-through. And while I absolutely love the idea of displaying pretty colored buttons in clear containers, I simply do not have space in my sewing room Anywhere for a shelf or even half a shelf of mason jars full of buttons.

So my solution was the little divided plastic boxes that are meant to hold cross-stitch bobbins or beads. The kind for beads are best because the little "cells" are rounded in the bottom. It makes it easier to scoop the buttons out. I finally took the time to at least sort the buttons by color, then little by little I've been working on sorting them by size, style, etc. I am nearly done and have filled 12 of the larger (11 X 7) boxes and 8 of the half sized ones. Currently they are stacked in two plastic drawers under my cutting table. It is easy enough to pull one box out to look through.

Someday perhaps I will have my dream house with an entire floor dedicated to sewing and crafting, and Then I will have adorable apothecary jars stuffed with bright buttons and ribbons and lace and everything nice--all displayed like so much candy in a sweet shop. Until then my giant stash of fabric flat-folded on open shelves will have to do.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 08:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Blog Entries
    The new buttons on cards I just have in a locking plastic container. My favorite vintage buttons, which are mostly the plastic ones with impressed designs or shapes, I like to keep in vintage glass bowls. I have some blue Fire King small sauce bowls that I like a lot. I have vintage glass buttons on cards standing up in a small vintage planter. And I sewied a drawstring bag that I embroidered a little girl in a garden design and the words "Just Buttons" on. It was a pattern from a book, and the bag looks as though it could be vintage. You may have guessed that I love vintage!

Leslie

I love burning scented candles during the winter time so would pick some up every time I went to Walmart for groceries. I like the ones with the flat tops all made from glass. Cleaned them up from the leftover wax, pulled off the label and made a label stating which color(s) for each jar. Because of the flat tops I can stack them but I don't. I have a shelf above my sewing machine that houses my TV/DVD which I never play so have them going across so I can see each jar filled with the buttons.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have tons of buttons. My mother had a button jar and I was fascinated by it when I was a child. Since then I've inherited some, and collected a lot more. Fortunately, I use a lot of embellishments in my quilts so they don't go to waste.

I have my medium and large sized buttons in Mason jars, sorted by color. I love how they look on the counter in my studio, they're so cheerful and remind me of my childhood.

I use a lot of small and mini buttons and those I store in Darice bead plastic boxes. These are pretty large with a lot of rounded bottomed sections. I sort by color and style, (printed, polka dots, etc.). I also make my own buttons and store them in the same containers. When I start working on a project one of the first things I do is go through all of my embellishments and make a kit of everything I think I might use. For this I use small plastic storage boxes I get at the dollar store. They're great for putting together a travel kit as well.
    Happy Stitching!
    Susan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2