Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Organizing Buttons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organizing-buttons-t302013.html)

Judith1005 01-04-2019 01:21 PM

Organizing Buttons

Ladies and Gents, How do you store or organize your buttons. I have a lot of novelty and colored buttons. A few vintage buttons. (Not many.) I need suggestions on how to store and organize them. Right now, they are stored in a mid size clear plastic container. And, sorted by type and color. Not a very pretty way to keep them. Any suggestions on a better more visual way to display them???

Tartan 01-04-2019 02:43 PM

I just have mine stored in metal cookie tins. You could get glass candy jars if you want them on display. I did see someone fill up a clear glass lamp base with buttons but then you couldn’t use them.

Judith1005 01-04-2019 03:23 PM

I do have a supply of glass candy jars on hand. I will give it some thought.

The lamp won't work for me. I do use my buttons.

Thanks for the ideas. :)

redquilter 01-04-2019 05:08 PM

I keep mine in small canning jars. Makes a nice display and easy for me to see what I have.

cindyb 01-04-2019 06:04 PM

I have mine displayed on the top of my book shelf in the tall, fluted wine bottles - one for the white ones, dark ones and colored ones. Does anyone have a source for some small triangle orange buttons? I want to use them on some appliqued penguins.

cashs_mom 01-04-2019 07:04 PM

I have tons of buttons and I store them in a wooden, accordion-style sewing box. Yup, the entire box is full of buttons.

Conchalea 01-04-2019 08:57 PM

I looked on Pinterest for some ideas & the one I liked best was a spice rack with the jars full of buttons. It was cute & colorful with each jar containing a different color of buttons.

QuiltMom2 01-05-2019 03:58 AM

I had a spice rack given for a wedding present that was pretty beat up after a lot of moves in the early years. Works nice to hold vintage buttons and has a couple drawers at the bottom where I throw oversize buttons and keep my bias tape makers.

salemrabbits 01-05-2019 04:22 AM

my grandfathers antique button collection was divided into 5 units by my mother, for my siblings and myself. I used egg cartons to sort by color and then dental floss to keep the units that were the same together. The storybook buttons and antique ones were sewn on fabric covered cardboard to be displayed. That was how my grandfather had them in his antique shop when he sold buttons. I have many beautiful antique ones which I'd never use for the purpose they once had, so display is the next best thing. I have thought of using some of them on quilted wall hangings as decorations- but have yet to make the quilts! I did use some for eyes on fish that I made a quilt of....it was cute and I used tiny pearl buttons for eyes.

luvstoquilt 01-05-2019 05:34 AM

One are in glass jars. I thought everyone had a button jar! I really do love glass jars and collect all sizes. They are great for needs, snaps, etc.