Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Plastic shoe boxes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/plastic-shoe-boxes-t311455.html)

Mkotch 06-21-2020 02:08 AM

Plastic shoe boxes

I have had my fabric sorted by color in plastic shoe boxes for about 20 years. More popular colors (blue, green, red, muslin) go in larger tubs. I stack them up on bookshelves. I rarely buy yardage except for backs, and whenever I do, I hang it on a hanger in the closet of my sewing room. After 20 years, the tops of the plastic boxes have taken on a musty smell. I tried washing them, but it doesn't help. So I am planning to replace them with something. Has this happened to you? And if so, what did you replace them with?

WMUTeach 06-21-2020 03:02 AM

Interesting. Did you try rinsing them with vinegar or putting them out in the sun? Old cures for mustiness but cheaper than replacing them. I use them also but have not experienced any musty smell.

juliasb 06-21-2020 04:00 AM

Humm.... I have not heard of the plastics becoming musty. I would be checking to be sure that the fabrics did not become wet or damp somehow and they also may need to be washed before being stored again.

Jordan 06-21-2020 07:40 AM

Maybe if you wash them with baking soda and warm water. I have not heard of the boxes getting a musty smell but I guess it can happen. What about the fabric inside of the boxes? Is the musty smell going into the fabrics?

SallyS 06-21-2020 09:37 AM

I've used the same plastic boxes on shelves (a great way of keeping things organized) and never had a musty problem. I agree with Jordan, it's probably the fabric inside the boxes.

tallchick 06-21-2020 10:44 AM

I keep shoes and fabric and many other items in plastic totes and have never had any that smell musty. I keep the silica packages you find when you buy shoes and other items, I then place them in the plastic totes I keep my fabric and other items in. I know a lot of people throw them away but I like to reuse them. I hope you’re able to resolve your issue.

shelleysews 06-21-2020 11:06 AM

Container store plastic shoe boxes

You can buy a set of 20 shoe boxes from container store online. They are having a “closet sale” right now and they should still be on sale for 20% off. I use them everywhere, including for storing fat quarters and fabrics.

Watson 06-21-2020 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got mine from the Dollar store and re-did all my fabrics.
You may have to wash your fabric or at least leave it out in strong sun for awhile to get rid of the smell.

Watson

Tartan 06-21-2020 01:39 PM

I have not had my plastic get musty unless something stored in it was musty. I have had plastic get brittle over time though.

cashs_mom 06-21-2020 05:28 PM

i have larger plastic boxes that I store fabric in on shelves. Many of the boxes are over 25 years old and I've never had a musty smell.