Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Refurbished dresser for storing some of my stuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/refurbished-dresser-storing-some-my-stuff-t274330.html)

AUQuilter 01-10-2016 06:16 AM

Refurbished dresser for storing some of my stuff

2 Attachment(s)
A few weeks ago I decided to refinish my son's old maple dresser as it was sitting idle in the attic. No before pic but this is a great improvement. I needed this piece to be inside so I can store my Studio cutter and dies on top as my sewing room is very tight so it went into the guest room closet. Will also use four of the drawers for storing quilting items. Stripped the old stain then stained top- painted bottom with high gloss enamel and spray painted handles and knobs with bronze metallic paint.

Onetomatoplant 01-10-2016 06:28 AM

I don't know what's more impressive - the dresser, or the sentence that began, "A few weeks ago I decided to refinish..."

We just finished painting the bedroom (on the to-do list since we painted it 2 1/2 years ago and hated the color) and, in the process, relocated my Grandma's old cedar chest. I've had the chest for about 20 years and I've been "gonna refinish that" for most of those years. And it only took you a few weeks! You're good!

And you did a fabulous job on the dresser - it looks wonderful! I love that you stained the top and painted the rest. Very cool.

Leslie333 01-10-2016 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant (Post 7429584)
I don't know what's more impressive - the dresser, or the sentence that began, "A few weeks ago I decided to refinish..."

Totally agree!

It looks fabulous! Extra storage is always a bonus.

ManiacQuilter2 01-10-2016 07:35 AM

You did a very impressive job. It is saving money for use to recycle items that can be used for our quilting hobby.

Jordan 01-10-2016 07:55 AM

What a beautiful dresser. You did a fantastic job. I have had a small end table in our garage for 2-3 yrs that I was going to "refinish" but never took the time. I think you have inspired me to get going!!

Mariposa 01-10-2016 07:56 AM

Beautiful dresser!

Tartan 01-10-2016 08:10 AM

:thumbup:Looks lovely!

AUQuilter 01-10-2016 08:45 AM

Thanks. It was a spur of the moment decision as the weather was warm enough to do it. Although old as it was originally my DH's dresser, it was in great shape for the age. I used EZ Strip- learned to leave it on longer than stated after watching videos on their website and youtube- don't we love youtube. I did this all while DH was away for about a week. When he got home, he wanted to know how much sewing I got in. I led him out to garage and was he surprised! Like quilting, the right tools were important- disposable gloves, old t-shirt pieces for staining, and important a new paint brush that is for enamel paint! Now today, I get to put away those sewing/quilting items.

tessagin 01-10-2016 08:56 AM

It looks great!!

Evelynquilts 01-10-2016 09:37 AM

Looks wonderful...great idea...I also painted an old dresser...put it in my sewing room...