Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Scraps tamed! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/scraps-tamed-t244651.html)

lovelyl 04-06-2014 10:50 AM

Scraps tamed!

1 Attachment(s)
I have spent at least 2-3 hours the last three days with a tub crammed full of scraps. I started to just throw them away, but guilt would not let me. There were some pretty big pieces in there. So, I sorted, ironed and cut them into squares.
First I cut 10 inch squares, then used my Accuquilt to cut the rest.
I ended up with:
72 ten inch squares
72 6 1/2 in squares
101 5 in squares
155 3 1/2 squares
142 2 1/2 in squares
And a nice pile of different length/width strips for my Wacky Web quilt that is on my to do list. That all adds up to a lot of $$ that I almost threw away!
I see a lot of scrappy quilts in my future!
And I still have another tub of scraps to go...

Sent from my iPad[ATTACH=CONFIG]470377[/ATTACH]

owlvamp 04-06-2014 11:04 AM

Beautiful. Love all your squares. Good way to use up your scraps.

Stitchnripper 04-06-2014 11:06 AM

Nice looking piles!!!

AUQuilter 04-06-2014 11:20 AM

Love those scraps when they are tamed and ready to sew!

PABerard 04-06-2014 12:56 PM

Oh I am so jealous. Any tips? I need to tame mine, but just don't know where to start.

paulswalia 04-06-2014 01:04 PM

As a believer in the Bonnie Hunter school of scrap management, I try to tame them at the end of every quilt - so they don't get ahead of me, but I confess to being a bit behind right now. It's always fun to just grab the scraps and start sewing without any cutting needed. Good for you - bet it feels great!

Cam's gram 04-06-2014 02:10 PM

WOW - you want to do that at my house????

lovelyl 04-06-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 6662843)
As a believer in the Bonnie Hunter school of scrap management, I try to tame them at the end of every quilt - so they don't get ahead of me, but I confess to being a bit behind right now. It's always fun to just grab the scraps and start sewing without any cutting needed. Good for you - bet it feels great!

I can see where doing it at the end of each project would help a lot. It does feel great to have one tub of scraps done but I still have one more to go and my back is killing me!
Next time, I think I would do it differently. Instead of cutting the largest square I could out of a scrap and then cutting the next largest out of the same scrap, etc., I think I will sort the scraps by coordinating colors and choose one size to cut a bunch. For example, if I had six coordinating scraps I would cut them all into the same size block, such as 5 inches. The next set of coordinating blocks I might cut to 6 1/2 inches and so forth. That way I can do a more controlled scrappy quilt.

cindynvb 04-06-2014 03:30 PM

Good job!! I'm thinking I need to get back to pressing and cutting. I spent quite awhile this year so far on taming the scraps and need to keep going.

Karen Mc 04-06-2014 04:06 PM

Great job! It has to make you feel good!!!