Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Utter Clutter makes me Mutter! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/utter-clutter-makes-me-mutter-t301659.html)

SusieQOH 12-19-2018 06:40 AM

Sew Freak, you are so right. This year I made a lot of quilts but failed to clean up between each project. Major mess!

rryder 12-19-2018 06:42 AM

I’m with y’all- seems like I go through periods where I’m good about putting things away and then, next thing I know, it’s all pulled out again and covering every horizontal surface. :shock:

Guess I’ll keep plugging away with my year round mini-purges...and trying to revamp my storage system. Right now I’ve got a system that works but it requires me getting down on my hands and knees to pull my thread storage bins out from under my Sweet16 table. and I am quickly getting to where My fabric storage system needs some tweaking as I work through some parts of my stash. And Since I have come to the conclusion that I will always have UFOs and multiple works in process I am toying with the idea of devoting a single area to UFO/WIP storage rather than trying to keep them separate- that way I can feel like there is a place to put my WIPS rather than having them strewn all over my studio...

Rob

Aurora 12-19-2018 06:51 AM

I am holding out for a larger room! I have to do most of my cutting at UFO's; fortunately, I have one every week plus a sew day. It is not an ideal arrangement, but I am able to make it work. I do have two machines setup for use.

oksewglad 12-19-2018 07:49 AM

My problem is getting interrupted by outside forces...yeah when farmer MrOk comes inside and needs something, etc...then I leave my room as is as I see what he wants. Or when Grands drop in..I'm waiting for the day when life slows down! but we can at least try in the interim.

Tartan 12-19-2018 08:09 AM

I did a big clean only once, never again as I still haven’t found some things. I will straighten my sewing room after I finish the quilt I am working on.

institches33 12-19-2018 08:12 AM

I purged big time, and called the City Mission truck for a pickup.
There's still so much! Even with good organization I could not move in my sewing rooms.

Our area has healthy LQS and I'm taking credit for part of it!

NoraB 12-19-2018 09:48 AM

I'm a visual person, so need to have things visible. So, it's hard to tuck things away in a corner...I'll forget about them!
I do usually clean up stuff and dispense of left-overs once I'm done with a project. Scraps are cut into usable pieces or put with the original fabric. Smaller than 2" gets sub-cut into stuffing for dog beds. I've always got a collapsible hamper bin thingie that collects the scraps. When it gets full......a dog bed is made. I vacuum almost every day in my sewing room.....the work surface, the carpet, the ironing board and my design board......the most vacuumed room in the house! Do you think that our sewing rooms get so "dusty" because of all the fabric and batting and stuff going on in there? If you sew in a dining room or other living area, do you find that it gets dustier? I'm thinking that's why my house has so much dust.....and I'm sticking with that!

Boston1954 12-19-2018 10:02 AM

If you are thinking of getting rid of some things, there probably are a few on this very board who could use it. I sent a box out to someone just two days ago.

kay carlson 12-19-2018 10:19 AM

I have been on a down-sizing mode for a couple of years. It is only this month that I figured out how to open up the space in my sewing room. My tools are in the appropriate drawers and books are in the bookcase. I've taken down the tv tables (yes, plural) and removed all stacks of projects from horizontal surfaces. Fortunately, I can store my numerous UFOs and stash in another area. Even the 5-foot long quilting frame has a bright and cheery cover of home dec fabric covering the rollers. Now, when walking into the room my spirits are lifted because I don't see clutter everywhere. It is much easier to work on projects whenever a few minutes pop up as available! The bonus: now I decide what I want to bring in the room and purge more easily! Thank goodness you've shared so many tricks that helped me reach this point. Thank you <3

Macybaby 12-19-2018 11:02 AM

My problem is I have too much other sewing stuff in with my quilting stuff, and right now I've got very little interest in doing anything but quilting, so it's in my way. I have several large totes of stuff I inherited as I was the only one with any interest in it at all. It's been several years now and I think I may be able to toss it without feeling guilty. A lot of it is stuff my mom stored for 30 years as she had lost interest in it too, but felt bad about tossing it.