Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Utter Clutter makes me Mutter! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/utter-clutter-makes-me-mutter-t301659.html)

JJBlaine 12-20-2018 01:09 AM

I usually set aside one day a week (usually Sunday) to straighten up my sewing area, put everything back in it's place, and cut scraps. I like to bounce between projects, so I pick out two projects to work on for the upcoming week, at least one of which has to be a UFO. Knowing where everything is supposed to be and what I am going to work on has helped a lot, and my scrap pile is slowly getting smaller.

quilterpurpledog 12-20-2018 04:08 AM

I have tamed my stuff; however, I have too much of it. I plan to give at least 10% of it away to my guild (children's fabric in particular) and to the senior center. There is a group of ladies who quilt there every Monday. (I wish I could join them but I just have 'too many irons in the fire'. I plan to line up my UFO's and make a schedule for the year. If I don't get them done (one way or another) I will give them away at the end of the year. We also have books, antiques, dishes, etc. in our house that we have loved over the years; but, our kids (guys) don't want in the future. So, I plan to purge. I just don't want to be responsible for this stuff anymore.

Kris P 12-20-2018 04:16 AM

I can totally relate. I am in for a major purge in the new year. I either have to use some of this older fabric, or just pass it along. I'm a scrap lover, so I have little bits that I've saved... even after making a couple of log cabin quilts using strips as small as 1.5". I EPP with squares as small as 2" and save bits smaller with intention of making a Ticker Tape Parade quilt. Did I mention I have 20+ quilts in progress ? I need to buckle down and work on some finishes.

Battle Axe 12-20-2018 04:35 AM

Best thing I ever bought was a Brother P-touch labeler. Now everything has a place and there is a label on it's tub.

How about everyone's books? Do you file them by author's last name? Do you file them by subject: i.e. Bargello, stars, baby, etc. I'm on "Mylibrarything" and my list says I have a book, but I do not remember seeing it or buying it.

Rhonda K 12-20-2018 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe (Post 8179069)
Best thing I ever bought was a Brother P-touch labeler. Now everything has a place and there is a label on it's tub.

How about everyone's books? Do you file them by author's last name? Do you file them by subject: i.e. Bargello, stars, baby, etc. I'm on "Mylibrarything" and my list says I have a book, but I do not remember seeing it or buying it.

Love those labelers and even bought a second one! Did you know there is lime green and also pink tapes for them?

I use Evernote for list. It works across different platforms, i[ad, phone or PC. I keep list of EMB threads, rulers, stabilizers listed so it's easy to check.

DonnaC 12-20-2018 06:40 AM

Oh gosh I am with you all 100%. About a week ago, I started pulling my sewing room apart because I'm tired of not being able to find what I need, when I need it. I'm using an inventory spreadsheet to keep track of exactly WHAT I have and WHERE it is. Hopefully that will help.

momsbusy 12-20-2018 06:48 AM

I will be doing a cleanup right after Christmas. I spent this year trying to complete UFOs. Unfortunately, I discovered that some of them were in the pile, because they really don’t suit me. Thus, they became tops. This year, they will become donation quilts. Whenever I work on two or more projects at a time, the tornado comes through my room. I enjoy quilting much more without the clutter.

oksewglad 12-20-2018 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P (Post 8179061)
I can totally relate. I am in for a major purge in the new year. I either have to use some of this older fabric, or just pass it along. I'm a scrap lover, so I have little bits that I've saved... even after making a couple of log cabin quilts using strips as small as 1.5". I EPP with squares as small as 2" and save bits smaller with intention of making a Ticker Tape Parade quilt. Did I mention I have 20+ quilts in progress ? I need to buckle down and work on some finishes.

Oh this sounds like me!

SusieQOH 12-20-2018 09:46 AM

Does anyone else get too overwhelmed with too much stuff- specifically fabric? I do and it thwarts my creativity.

Watson 12-20-2018 11:27 AM

It's not hoarding, if your stuff is cool.

Watson