Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Utter Clutter makes me Mutter! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/utter-clutter-makes-me-mutter-t301659.html)

cashs_mom 12-20-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8179312)
It's not hoarding, if your stuff is cool.

Watson

:D:D:D I totally agree, Watson!

GingerK 12-20-2018 05:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few months ago I asked my sewing group for help with strips because I wanted to make the boxes of strings top from our tutorials. I got a wonderful response and finished my top. (Pic #1 can't seem to figure out how to post a pic and then write between it and the next)

But then I had all these strips left and I could not just put them in the bag for dog bed stuffing. I really need the 'mindless sewing' sometimes. I have now completed a lap sized top for our president's challenge (can't show it because our Prez is a member :D) and am working on these blocks for a charity quilt. (Pic #2) The problem is trying to get a handle on all the various lengths and widths of strips. Right now they are in a pile on my table and I just grab and pull. Not the best system.

Ellen 1 12-20-2018 10:13 PM

Normally I work on one project at a time. (The exception is, if I take a class, then I have two "live" projects). I do not empty my trash can until the last stitch of the binding is done. There have been too many times I have had to dig through the trash to find "a piece just big enough for that one spot". :-). I'm sure you know what I mean.

Sandygirl 12-21-2018 03:27 AM

I agree! I am. NOT a stasher so that is good. I DO have projects in waiting....I have been purging the plastic storage these last few years. Storage ....OUT of sight...out of mind...not a good thing. Still...there is room for improvement.

Grinch 12-21-2018 06:47 AM

My sewing room got fairly organized this past year, but my problem (well, ONE of my problems!) is that I have so many projects going at once. I have can't seem to work on just one project, so I have one thing on my wall, another on this table, another on that table, and so on. I feel like I need a better system for housing UFOs and WIP. But if I store them, I am not convinced I will return to them and actually complete them.

SusieQOH 12-21-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Grinch (Post 8179625)
My sewing room got fairly organized this past year, but my problem (well, ONE of my problems!) is that I have so many projects going at once. I have can't seem to work on just one project, so I have one thing on my wall, another on this table, another on that table, and so on. I feel like I need a better system for housing UFOs and WIP. But if I store them, I am not convinced I will return to them and actually complete them.

Same here!

coffeecozy 12-22-2018 03:51 AM

Thank you Watson, well said.
It's great to know that I am not the only one that has had a creative tornado going this year. I won't feel so lonely while I struggle to get it all back in order..... in January I promise, no new projects for at least a week :D

GingerK, I love your strip blocks quilt.

rryder 12-22-2018 05:30 AM

Gingerk- your boxes of strings is beautiful! And I love what you’re doing with the remaining strings.

Rob

oksewglad 12-22-2018 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy (Post 8180004)
Thank you Watson, well said.
It's great to know that I am not the only one that has had a creative tornado going this year. I won't feel so lonely while I struggle to get it all back in order..... in January I promise, no new projects for at least a week :D

HaHa...I already know what I'm going to do 12-26-18....start a new little project...woe is me!

tranum 12-22-2018 05:51 AM

Somebody dumped a large amount of scraps and unfinished projects in our church quilting space. Nothing we were going to use so we made smaller bags and took it to the free table at Quilt Guild where it was quickly snatched up. :)