Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   What are we organizing today 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/what-we-organizing-today-2020-a-t308882.html)

rryder 07-18-2020 06:34 AM

I have two new organizing projects that I need to start, but I really have a case of the "I don't wanna" over the one (getting my vita updated) and need to do some preliminary stuff for the other (getting my quilt inventory and portfolio updated) which I also don't wanna do LOL. I am really only wanting to play in my studios. I am going to set a goal of working on the vita for no more than 15 minutes each day. That sounds doable without being overwhelmingly boring....

First task: Look at the current vita to see where it stands and what I want to change before updating it. I'm putting a note in my tickler file to do this on Monday.
2nd task: Get materials showing together that document shows that need to be added to the vita. I'm putting a note in my tickler file to do this on Tuesday.

Do y'all ever get the "I don't wanna's"????

RobR

oksewglad 07-18-2020 06:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the input retiredT. I can safely say all my rwb scraps are cut and organized. There were a few pieces FQ and Qyd size I left intact in case I need to cut them a specific size to finish a quilt. I have gotten 2 QOV sized quilts from these scraps and know I may have at least a couple more. I'm almost ready to get back to taking out the last of the offending red piece. I think I had 6 or 7 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 " strips to replace.

A couple of photos..a bit of the quilt; the offending run; and the red dye punch from a few of the red strips.

rryder 07-18-2020 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8402797)
Thanks for the input retiredT. I can safely say all my rwb scraps are cut and organized. There were a few pieces FQ and Qyd size I left intact in case I need to cut them a specific size to finish a quilt. I have gotten 2 QOV sized quilts from these scraps and know I may have at least a couple more. I'm almost ready to get back to taking out the last of the offending red piece. I think I had 6 or 7 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 " strips to replace.

A couple of photos..a bit of the quilt; the offending run; and the red dye punch from a few of the red strips.

That's some serious punch oksewglad! Glad you were able to remove the offending pieces and salvage the rest.

RobR

retiredteacher09 07-18-2020 04:50 PM

oksewglad: Wow! That red did bleed a lot! I’m glad you are almost finished with replacing it.

Teen 07-18-2020 06:19 PM

Ok....Oh man, those really bled thru... That's a lot of dye run... Sounds like you got it handled...those QOV will be so appreciated..

Rob....yes yes..."I don't wanna" blues is a familiar tune at my house. Here is my philosophy for what it's worth.... When it really starts to irritate me, I'll organize...otherwise, my daily life is filled with joy... For us, we never know when the creativity slaps us upside the head so go with the flow is my motto. Your plan sounds like a good one...

WMUTeach 07-19-2020 03:46 AM

What am I working on? Sorting and folding my fabric. I started yesterday with my bin of green. Am I finished? No, but I only have blue, pink and white to go. Those bins are big and full. I did eliminate two small bins and one large bin by folding and compacting the pieces of fabric. All the small, usable sized scraps are in one large bin that will make it easier for me to see and use scraps without pulling out multiple bins. I am tired of making scrappy quilts and I have so many scraps.

retiredteacher09 07-19-2020 04:58 PM

WMUTeach: When you are done, please drive to my house and help me go through my bins. Lol!

I had been stacking the empty photo boxes and bins on the end of the table where I was going through pictures/memorabilia but the pile went too high for me to add anything else. Now they are being stored in a walk-in closet. It felt good watching the pile grow. I may not have thrown much, but like you, I was able to compact things.

I’m also emptying some smaller bins of fabric pieces. I got so overwhelmed with donations a few years back along with starting too many new projects. Then throw in several super busy school year subbing schedules and going out of town to help family in the summer. Eventually, I would get frustrated with the mess and toss the fabric in the nearest bin/bins. So now I’m paying the price of lack of organization which is causing me more work. Oh well! I wouldn’t exchange my subbing experiences and family time for anything. I’m not complaining because I at least have plenty to keep me busy.

WMUTeach 07-20-2020 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 8403215)
WMUTeach: I’m not complaining because I at least have plenty to keep me busy.

I often remind myself of how blessed I am to have been given so much fabric. My stash started as my SIL's. When she passed away, I took all of her quilt room. Although that was nearly 20 years ago, I am still using her fabric. Yes, indeed she had a massive stash. One thing that I did notice during my organizational efforts this week-end is that much of my stash does not reflect my taste or choices in colors. It is still highly influenced by my SIL's perspective and colors. Of course, I have purchased additional fabric, but since I have been trying to use my stash, new purchases seem to match her color perspectives. I am more of a bold pure color person. She had more of a softer often lighter color perspective. I never considered this until organizing my fabric and could see it more clearly as a whole.

Solution to be determined. I can give away or donate fabric that doesn't please my creative eye and begin purchasing what pleases me or I can gratefully keep using what I have on hand. Then there is some sort of compromise between the two choices. Thank you for allowing me to think through and share my personal discoveries over this organizational process.

oksewglad 07-20-2020 04:38 AM

WMUTeach When making something for yourself, I think you should allow yourself to buy fabric you like with the possibility of using appropriate fabrics from your stash to coordinate. It would be a compromise between using your sister's fabric and being true to your likes. I have found that over the years--yes more than 20--my tastes have changed and fabric colors and designs have as well. Allow yourself that flexibility.

Teen 07-20-2020 05:58 PM

WMUteach.....that was definitely a big bonus for you in organizing your stash. Maybe some of sisters stash can be used on the reverse side for more neutrals to go with your bold preferences. I mention this because I had a large bolt of a soft pink floral that was so not me in preference and I ended up using much of it as a neutral on the reverse side. ....then, I donated the balance (a couple of yards) to a Church group.

And, too....Ditto oksewglad's comment.