Qzone help needed

Old 08-13-2021, 06:57 AM

Default Qzone help needed

Help please! I have a new qzone frame and am having the hardest time getting the back straight to start quilting! I finally managed to get the first line to baste the top together and even that involved ripping. I have double-checked and the layers are smooth, except for when I try to get it on the frame. I know I will eventually love it but right now I am so frustrated I wish I hadn't spent the money for a frame. Any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

So it looks like it is like the Qsnap hand quilting frame but it goes under your machine? With the Qsnap hand quilting frame, I get my layers nicely tight and then turn the snap part towards the back until everything is taut and smooth. I have never used the frame you are mentioning so I hope that tip helps.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:26 PM

They have a chat line on their website. Maybe you could start there & ask if they have any free, online tutorials or suggestions for getting the back straight before you start quilting. Here's a link to their site & you will see a round icon with a telephone in it & the one above has a smile (bottom right hand corner). The one with the smile is the chat line. Hope this helps you.

https://www.graceframe.com/en/machin...one-hoop-frame
Old 08-13-2021, 12:35 PM

Leah Day has this tutorial that might help you. And then I found some more tutorials by searching "tutorial on qzone quilting frame instructions" & you should find quite a few videos that might help you.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...21&action=view

Old 08-13-2021, 03:48 PM

I don't have your frame, so don't even know if what I am about to describe will work for you. I do have a Nolting longarm with a frame. I load the backing first by pinning it to the leaders. I use those big corsage pins. Then I load the batting with about half the amount of pins that I used for the backing. then I lay the pieced quilt top on that, making sure I keep it straight across, then pin it and then baste it to the backing, removing the pins as I go. The original pins for the backing stay attached to the leaders. As I move down the quilt, I baste the sides to keep them from shifting. My backings are always at least an extra 3 to 4 inches larger on each side. My battings are at least 2 extra inches on each side.

Edited to add: I used the search criteria... Loading a quilt on a qzone quilt frame. I watched "part" of a video on your machine. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9532&FORM=VIRE
You don't have leaders, but you do have a bar across the back. I would place my backing on the frame first, attaching to that bar in the back. Then I would put my batting on the backing and baste it in place. Then I would add the pieced top. This way you are not dealing with trying to keep 3 layers straight when everything wants to slide and move. Having your backing larger will really help in this process. I keep the fabric trimmings from the backings and use in other quilts.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-13-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mamagoat2 View Post
Help please! I have a new qzone frame and am having the hardest time getting the back straight to start quilting! I finally managed to get the first line to baste the top together and even that involved ripping. I have double-checked and the layers are smooth, except for when I try to get it on the frame. I know I will eventually love it but right now I am so frustrated I wish I hadn't spent the money for a frame. Any suggestions?
I hope you've solved your woes by now, but in case not... I made leaders from ticking fabric. All those stripes make it much easier to pin the quilt to the leader strait, and to mount the quilt on the frame straight. Also, I found adding a bit of no-slip shelf liner around the back bar (between bar and quilt or leader) keeps the leaders in place much better while putting on the rest of the clamps.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:04 AM

I've done some small projects without problem but have stalled going back to the larger quilt. I do have some leaders I made from pillow ticking. Love the idea of nonslip material underneath them to help hold in place! Will be trying that idea. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.